Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Latest bathroom design...what do you think?

rockybird
10 years ago

I have it down to this basic conceptual plan (16 x 19.5 ft space). What do you all think? Is 4 ft. too wide for a tub? If I get it down to 3.5 ft. I can add more space to the master closet. Is 5 ft. okay for an aisle? I favor the first design but would really appreciate your thoughts. I dont know where to put towel racks if I use first design, but I can probably find a place to put a couple hooks. Thank you!

I dont need the island in closet. I can take it out for more closet aisle space.

One long sink:

This seems too crowded:

Love this bathroom design...I would like no door to master closet, but have everything visible from bath area be hidden behind doors.

Modern Bathroom by Seattle Architects & Designers chadbourne + doss architects

Comments (9)

• hunzi
    10 years ago

I like the 1st & 2nd designs, but I very much do not like the little closet between the tub and toilet areas. It feels awkward. Is it intended as a linen closet? I'd rather tuck it in where you have the towel racks marked on the 2nd design and put your towel racks on the back wall by the tub.

Overall, I like the 1st design best, with the separate sink areas, if you can solve that storage problem, but whether that works better than a long double sink really is personal preference and how you and your spouse get ready in the mornings/use the space - My DH & I have difference schedules, so I don't have to think about how to maneuver around each other in the morning (which is good because before I've had my tea - this is a very dangerous time! ;-) )

One idea I have for using design 1 and including a linen space is to put it on the wall by your toilet room door - so inset the toilet room another foot, so you can put a cabinet on that wall - make the doorway a little deeper to the toilet room (hope that makes sense) - the storage wouldn't be 5ft wide, maybe 2.5 or 3ft, but it wouldn't awkwardly overlap the tub.

Another thought - shorten the sink across from the shower to 4ft, and put the linen storage 90 degrees on the wall into the closet. (Or turn the island into a linen cabinet)

My 2 cents!
    Hope it helps!
    Hunzi

This post was edited by hunzi on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 11:53

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THank you so much for your thoughts. :) I can remove the storage cabs by the toilet. There is another 4 ft. wide storage area adjacent to the sink against the wall that I could configure for linens..

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

the toilet room is a good size, about the size of mine. It is easier to clean around the toilet and not as claustrophobic, you may want to consider how you will access that toilet area when you age or have to use crutches if there is an injury.
    Instead of storage cabinets you could have shelving for lovely towels and some sparse, carefully chosen accessories to keep the modern feel. I think if you go with this type of modern cabinetry a small cabinet where you drew it might be OK for shallow item storage.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was hoping to put a sliding panel door for the bathroom..Hopefully, that will be okay to allow easy access? I reconfigured the pic with 3.5 ft. width for the bath/shower and added shallow shelves.

I could also bring the shower in some and put a shallow floor to ceinling cab. at the end facing the 3.5 ft. hallway.

It is just me living here, so I am not sure how two vanities would work, but I would think it would be nice to have.

Do you think the closet has enough space?

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Is that a washer/dryer across from your tub? How are you planning on opening the door of the dryer? I assume the dryer is the one on the far right. you have your shelves/cabinet in front of it.

My only comment, (sorry just had surgery, and don't have too much energy), is that for such a large space, your shower and tub area is actually small lengthwise. Unless you have a specific wide but short tub in mind, I don't think you have allowed enough length for tub. I just built a 5 ft long shower, and I wouldn't want one any shorter (and I have a TINY TINY BR compared to yours). So if you build a 5 foot long shower, that only leaves 5.5 ft for tub + deck.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks raehelen. That is helpful. I will speak with the architect about the bath/shower size. Maybe this isnt such a good idea then and I need to study it some more.

lol That is supposed to be a toilet...but it does look like a w/d. I would love a w/d in my bath/closet, but dont think I have the room.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

LOL, OH, I did mention that I just had surgery, right? :>) Didn't even notice that there wasn't a toilet!

But, actually, if you really would like a W/D in there, I think you COULD fit either a stackable or even side by side right next to the vanity on the far left. How convenient would that be? Just throw your towels and dirty clothes right in there. You wouldn't even need to get a towel warmer, you could just warm your towel up in the dryer!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks raehelen! I really appreciate your advice. I hope you are recovering from your surgery. Gardenweb is a good place to spend your time while you heal. :)

The other reason I dont add a w/d is that I am currently single and the house is too big for one person (3840 sq ft.). If I ever meet the right guy, I think we will add a ma bedroom/ba addition with a w/d. The side of the house has an amazing area for this, in front of the pool with views of the mountains and city.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

a pocket door for the toilet room is fine and saves a lot of space in my opinion. I have one in both our bathrooms and one for the powder room, because that's all that would fit there. I bought solid core doors for the Master bath and the powder - and get a really good hanging hardware like Johnson. I bought the heavy duty one. All your accessories for that area will need to go on the wall that does not have the pocket, such as toilet paper holder or a grab bar. I have the paper holder on the pocket side in the hallway bath, but that's the original placement by the contractor who build all the homes in this development. It was not a heavy duty paper holder. If it is light enough to just go into the drywall and not impede the pocket door, you can hang lightweight stuff on that wall.