Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akcorcoran_gw

Good lighting from sconces with shades at vanity?

akcorcoran
11 years ago

I had a bad experience finding sconces for my guest bath reno and found that I really didn't get good light for using the mirror from lights that had shades. But, I really prefer that look?

I put Pottery Barn sconces (Sussex tube sconces) in my daughters' bathroom and they provide great light, but might be a bit modern for our master bath look?

Can you get GOOD vanity lighting from sconces with shades? Any tips or suggestions of specific brands?

I've attached the photo of the master vanity - there are individual mirrors above each sink - they are Uttermost 27" x 42" tall with room for sconces on each side of them.

(The vanity will have at least three sconces, once between each mirror. Possibly four - a single, then double, then single depending on the fixture. As for other light, there is a hanging chandelier in the room back by the tub, but I didn't want recessed overhead b/c it provides such shadows on your face.)

I put a link to the ones I like below - the paper shade on it is awful (and doesn't come with it,) but I just want to be sure there is good light in our bathroom!

Your thoughts? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Visual Comfort Suzanne Kasler quatrefoil sconces I like >>

This post was edited by akcorcoran on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 22:58

Comments (4)

• akcorcoran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are our mirrors - they are 27" wide by 42" tall (we are tall folks! :-)

• akcorcoran
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To complete the imagery, here is my tile - It's New Ravenna Mosaics Studio Line - Del Greco in Cloud Nine marble with a Julius border. And my countertop and tub deck marble (Breccia Oniciata).

(Thinking maybe I should look at satin nickel for the lights too - there is actually some silverleaf in the mirror too, though it's hard to see.)

Thanks for your thoughts!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Your materials are gorgeous!

I don't think you are going to get much lighting out of those 40watt lights. I would look for sconces that can take at least a 100watt equivalent bulb, and put it on a dimmer. I have a bathroom that is 9.5x6.5 and I have 2 sconces at 100watts each over my single vanity and I wouldn't want it less. I have lots of white in the room. If you have dark wood it might suck up some of the light.

I like the candle stick shape of the lights, can you find one that is capable of larger wattage? I did a quick search on Hudson Valley site and there were a few that held 60 or 75 watt. They were more of a column though. They were very reserved and could work. Are you having canned light in the valance above the sink? A recent poster has canned light and 2 sconces and reports what sounds like fair lighting in her setup.

You can try the lighting forum. There is information that is over there on amount of lighting needed for rooms.

• Emily
    11 years ago

We chose to do the Nolan double sconce from restoration hardware which has a shade because each bulb can have up to 60 wats. I thought 120 watts for over each mirror would be good we don't have room for single sconces or I would have gone that way. The Nolan has a single sconce that has a shade as well.

Not, to be off topic but are you doing the same size pulls on all your drawers? We are doing a custom vanity with 2 drawer stacks of 10 inch drawers and one drawer stack in between them of 16 inch drawers. I am debating on doing this same size or not. From the look of your picture you are doing the same size on each drawer. Thanks for helping me out!