Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerseychick

Is 5' enough room for a double sink vanity?

Betsey Thompson
12 years ago

We can have 2 separate vanities in our bath, one 5' one, and a 4'5" one, or we can have one 5' double, and use the other space for a separate custom cupboard/hutch to store things in underneath, with decorative items above.

My husband and I are not usually using the sinks at the same time, so the double 5' sounds fine to us, but I wanted opinions from others.

Any thoughts?

Comments (21)

• lucy111
    12 years ago

My husband and I have a 60in vanity in our MB with two sinks. We like having two sinks...not necessary, of course, but nice when we're getting ready for bed, or to go out. We also each have a recessed medicine cabinet above our sink. Still plenty of counter space. Our boys share a bathroom with a 72in. vanity and ONE sink. They would love to have two!

• Betsey Thompson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, and glad you feel there is enough counter space on your vanity. We had a much larger one in a different house, and sometimes I found the extra counter space was just a collection spot for things that would be better put away, so 5' sounds good to me! With so many decisions to make, I find comfort in validation, so thanks for weighing in!

• sas95
    12 years ago

We have a 5' vanity with double sinks. There's more than enough counter space. I'd just make sure not to go with very large sinks, and you'll be fine.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I have a 60" vanity with two sinks in an unremodeled bathroom. I really prefer having both sinks and find they fit just fine in 5'. When we remodel I intend to keep the same layout. Extra counter space could be nice, but we don't have the room. I don't particularly like having things on the vanity, so I'm hoping to refine my storage (either with a better designed vanity or possibly recessed medicine cabinets and/or maybe a slim wall shelf or two) to avoid needing too many things on the counter. Make certain you fit in some drawers as they seem to provide much better storage than a cavernous space under the sink behind doors.

• sas95
    12 years ago

That's the one problem with 2 sinks and a 5' vanity. There's not much room for drawers after you take into account the space you need for the plumbing.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

I did it in the last house and planned to do it here. Just choose smaller sinks - undermount are better than drop-in if you're concerned about counter space.

Plenty of room for drawers if your plumbing stays more to the outside, and you use separate wastes rather than T-ing.

• fall
    12 years ago

Too small, when we re did our bath, out it came. Too much wasted space underneath and not enough counter space. We like the single sink much better now...large cabinet doors in center and rows of drawers on both sides. And now I clean one sink instead of two.

• sable_ca
    12 years ago

We are replacing our 5' vanity with two sinks with another 5' vanity with two sinks. There is no drawer problem! They each have the same configuration - a center two-door cabinet with two 12" wide, deep drawers on either side. This is a standard model with Kraftmaid.

I don't know how to describe how our plumber plumbed everything, except to say that there is a center pipe with a pipe for each sink going off to each side. Our GC met with the cabinet guy to make sure that everything lined up properly and it does!

• sas95
    12 years ago

Those sinks are huge for a 60" vanity. You can get a lot more counter space with smaller sinks-- and more visual appeal too, IMO.

• Betsey Thompson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, great information!

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Below is a picture of the top of our 60 inch vanity. We used Kohler's Caxton sink which is only 17x14. That was the smallest one I found at the time. It is more than adequate. The vanity itself is from Bertch. We opted for 6 shallower drawers for toiletries figuring that we could always put taller items in the double door cabinet space. There is plenty of room in there.

• Betsey Thompson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, badger gal! I can see there is plenty of space. No rush, but could you add a picture of the front of your vanity? I'd love to see the drawer configuration.

• onelady1dog2girls
    12 years ago

With a 60" vanity would you recommend two Kohler Caxton 15 x 12's rather than the 17 x 14's?

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

We have both. We did 17" Caxton everywhere and 15" in a son's bath because he has a smaller vanity - I still think it is 36" though or there about. The 15" is fine. I think it would look dinky on a larger vanity but not if you have 2. We also did a faucet with a single entry hole which also saves room and looks nice.

Our vanities were custom but our cabinetmaker was able to finagle something to get two drawer stacks on either side of the sink. Drawers are small - would't be great for a girl, but plenty wide to put a comb, deodorant and toothpaste in. I think the drawers are 5" wide in the interior. We did a single door below the sink also. It works well and is very functional. We also added a medicine cabinet to the side wall but this may have been overkill - he has plenty of storage.

• sas95
    12 years ago

We did the 17". It worked out well.

• onelady1dog2girls
    12 years ago

Interesting. I just called Kohler and they said I should use the 17 x 14's....

• sas95
    12 years ago

If you want a visual, here's our 5' vanity with the 17x14 Caxtons.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Elizawhyza,
    Here are some pics of the front and inside of our cabinet. I mistakenly told you the sinks were 17x14 but I just measured them and they are the 15 x12 sinks. They are plenty big enough. I would not get sinks bigger than that.

{{gwi:1416396}}

• onelady1dog2girls
    12 years ago

Sas95, what model number of Caxton is that?

• sas95
    12 years ago

They're the K2210.