Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabigabatini

Is it always appropriate to have a sidesplash on a vanity?

sabigabatini
14 years ago

My vanity sits against one wall, with the other end open to the room.

My countertop store said I should definitely put a sidesplash on the side against the wall, in addition to the backsplash I'm getting with the countertop. They said aesthetically it is correct and that almost every customer with a one-ended vanity does the sidesplash with their countertop/backsplash.

My contractor said it would look funny. My hunch is he's wrong?

Thoughts?

Comments (9)

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, I think you should have sidesplash for the obvious reasons.
    Monica

• bobb_2010
    14 years ago

Wall - splash, no wall - leave it.

• janwad
    14 years ago

Profit for store if you buy more, profit for contractor if he has less work to do.

I've become very skeptical of whose opinions I listen to. I've learned the hard way for example that (most) electricians and plumbers make the worst decorators no matter how competent they are in their profession. (The ones who post here are obvious exceptions!)

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

My old vanity rested against the bathroom wall and did not have a side splash. In fact, the edge of the vanity formed a channel that could easily collect water. It was never a problem. I don't intend to put a sides splash on my new vanity because I prefer the look without the side splash and the splashing in my house is minimal (no kids). In my opinion, you should do what fits your lifestyle and taste. If you will likely have a lot of water splashing on the countertop and possibly damaging the wall, then you should probably have a side splash. If you don't and you prefer the look without, then don't do it. Do not let your countertop company or contractor dictate what is "right". This is your bathroom and you should do what fits with you.

• bobb_2010
    14 years ago

A good designer (not contractor) --expensive and time consuming-- listens to the customer, and draw out his/her wants and suggests options to fulfilling that want.

I have had contractor tell me "why do u want vinyl flooring?" it's cheap and tile better looking he didn't say, but I had already made up my own mind vinyl gives me feet better feel, I know looks over function doesn't work for me.

And this other contractor say "One knob shower control better!" He didn't say it's more fashionable. Again, as an engineer, I like the ez fine tuning possible with 2 knobs system. So I had to repeat myself 3 times, TWO KNOBS! can u do it? Of course he put in the 2 knobs.

• sabigabatini
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One thing the marble guy pointed out was that the edge of the marble slab is never exact to the wall, and that's one reason why a sidesplash is often warranted. In any case, I have looked at a few photos by now and I definitely like the sidesplash for vanities that are against the wall on one side. Fwiw, the cost of the sidesplash was nominal compared to the countertop, so I don't think the marble guy was getting a big revenue uptick from it. That said - I definitely agree about contractors not necessarily being competent designers, nor vice versa. Live and learn! :-)

• Susan Waldorf
    4 years ago

How do I get around the township without putting up side/back splashes? They tell me it is code. I have vanity tops with the lip on them that collect water. We got red tagged trying to get Certificate of Occupancy. Our house is done, what should I do Kohler doesn’t make the product for these tops and township insists, tile is complete,painting is complete we were ready to move in any suggestions of what I can do to pass inspection? And be able not to have to repaint or tear drywall paper?

• catbuilder
    4 years ago

Why are you asking this on a 10-year old unrelated thread? Start your own to get better response.