Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gap between vanity and wall

Posted by evelyn.ann (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 22:07

I'm on the hunt for a vanity as part of a gut remodel of a tiny master bathroom.

Current vanity is 24" wide x 18" deep and the new vanity has to be pretty much the same size.

However, the current vanity has a 2" gap between vanity and wall (see photo) -- and I would like to get rid of this gap and stop dropping stuff down there!

I have found 26" wide vanities that come with vanity tops -- thoughts on whether this would work?
http://www.fairmontdesigns.com/bath-collections/item/vanities/tux-26in-vancombo.html

The width of 26" seems perfect to bridge the gap; my concern is whether it would work with the existing sink plumbing. In other words the sink pipe is about 14" from the wall, and the 26" vanity comes with a sink so the sink drain would be centered ~13" from the wall. I am not sure how much "play" there is with sink plumbing, if it would be OK to have the sink drain an inch or so off-center from where the pipe goes into the wall.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gap between vanity and wall

What is the distance from the center of the toilet to the side of the vanity. It looks tight--below the legally required room.

24" vanities are much easier to find and cheaper. Use one of them, and just place it against the left wall like should have been done with that one.

o

Could you use a 24" vanity with a 2" filler piece and then a 26.5" vanity top? This would let you keep the plumbing where it is now, but fill in the 2" space so things don't fall down there.

o

Good ideas, thank you!

GreenIdeas, about your comment:
24" vanities are much easier to find and cheaper. Use one of them, and just place it against the left wall like should have been done with that one.

If I do this, then I will still be offsetting the sink drain about 2" from where the sink pipe goes into the wall -- is this feasible?

o

There's no Grand Rule of Plumbing that says the sink drain has to do a sharp 90 and back directly into the wall. A few PVC fittings and you can offset however needed.

Simple jog to the left:

a little more complicated dance:

You get the idea...

o

Every plumbing connection is likely to require some degree of adjustment. Something small like that is part of the job.

o

Just wanted to close the loop in this one -- we went with a 24" vanity centered on the existing plumbing, and then added a 2" filler piece at the left side to eliminate the gap between vanity and wall.

For the vanity top we did a custom piece of cultured marble that was 26-1/2" or so -- goes flush to the wall and then the sink bottom and faucets are offset slightly to the right..

Very happy with the result; the trim piece is not noticeable and the top of the sink doesn't look off-center even though the sink faucet is not exactly in the center of the countertop. We did put a hand towel hook on the wall so that may help in making it not noticeable.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, the filler piece really worked well for us!

o

One more photo, better view of the filler/ trim piece at left.

o

Evelyn Ann, so nice of you to follow up on your posts! I remember this one. Great job on the reno! I notice you have used tile for your surbase, exactly what we are in the process of doing right now...literally! How did you finish off the top of the tile? My DH just cut down floor tiles, and we are using the factory finish for the top, not buying a separate bull-nosed edge piece. I am assuming he will apply a little caulking between wall and tile at the top. Curious as to what you did, and if you have a really close-up photo? Thanks, Rae

o

Looks fantastic!

o

Raehelen, we did use bullnose pieces as the baseboard, and then just caulked the gap (used Laticrete caulk color-matched to the grout color). That worked well since we also used the bullnose up the wall for the edge of the tub surround.

The tile we used was pretty thick, so the only downside is that dust tends to collect on the top surface.

I think if your tile is relatively thin the factory cut plus some caulk will be just fine. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here