Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novacat_2010

frosted or rain glass on shower

novacat_2010
14 years ago

I have decided to go with an obscure glass for my 36X36 shower in my small bathroom. The floors are calacatta marble hex tile and the shower walls are white ceramic. The 30"vanity is very dark (sable) with a white corian counter top. I painted the walls an off-white (BM halo)that is kinda gray with a bit of green, and crown and base moldings in yet another BM off-white (snow white). so far, so good. The moldings really pop against the wall color. All and all it's a very soft look. I am getting a frameless shower door and dont know whether to go with a frosted glass or a "rain" glass. Any suggestions?

Comments (32)

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the follow up. I did go to the shower door place and decided that the frosted glass is out of the question. The reason is because there is no light inside the shower and the frosted glass would look like a white box. Maybe i should have thought of this before the electric was done. Anyway, now i'm back thinking about the "rain" glass or another glass called "monumental". Everybody and their brother is trying to talk me into the clear glass. What to do...what to do. Oh, and by the way your bathroom is beautiful and i really like your choice of glass. For me though, it would be a bit too contemporary.

• suero
    14 years ago

I had a small master bath with an obscuring glass on the shower door. Before we remodeled, the shower door went pfft, and we used a transparent vinyl curtain as a temporary solution. The result was that the bathroom looked much bigger because your eye wasn't stopped by the obscuring glass. I'd recommend a clear glass door.
    We have a clear glass door on the (much larger) shower in our (much larger) bathroom. It's no problem to keep clean. We squeegee the glass off with an OXO squeegee. It takes no more than a minute, if that much. Given that you'd have to squeegee the rain glass or monumental glass anyway, why not get the benefit of a larger-appearing room by using clear glass?

• stlouie
    14 years ago

We are finishing up our bathroom remodel and we chose clear glass so we can see the tilework. If we had it in the budget I would have hands down went with the Starfire glass because the glass we just had installed has a glare and doesn't let the beauty of the tile show through. Having clear glass definitely makes the bathroom feel bigger.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank so much for your responses. Here's the thing..the reason i am tending to go for obscure glass is because i'm not loving the idea of seeing all the bath products in the shower. wouldn't it look like ugly accessories? this is my main bathroom, used for guests and i really dont want my hot pink loofa hanging out in plain view or it being an obvious fact that i have to go shopping 'cause i'm running low on shampoo! lol. If this was my MB i wouldn't care. i definitely agree that the clear glass would make the room look bigger and personally i love the look. i do have a niche on the back wall of the shower, but again with the clear glass it'll look like a shelf from cvs. the shower is 36" square and is situated in the corner. The white wall tile is simple and looks pretty. the rest of the room is painted. and the floor is marble hex. is the obscure glass really that bad of an idea? i need to decide pretty quickly so please help. and if you still think i should go with the clear glass, please say so.

• reyesuela
    14 years ago

We use travel-type bottles for our bath products, so it's actually pretty attractive. We do it because the small holes make amounts easier to control. You can see the razor, though. I don't have a loofa, but I'd be tempted to make a privacy screen for my stuff rather than have a translucent door! Maybe a tiny custom frosted glass door just for the niche?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmm. Kinda liking that idea. has anyone done something like this? are there any pics i can see? any websites? i gotta talk to the glass guy.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I've wanted a rain glass shower door for years until I recently realized it would hide all the pretty new tile. I ordered clear.

• stlouie
    14 years ago

I completely understand not wanting to see the "stuff". We had to have a knee wall between the shower and vanity since the vanity is in the middle with knee wall and shower to the left and a knee wall and toilet to the right. So I had the tile installer put my niche in the 42" tall knee wall in the shower so we wouldn't see the "stuff". All we see is the beautiful tilework.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

just wanna throw one more thing out there...as i stated before my shower is 36" square and fits in the corner. the only wall tile i have is in the shower (white) and is real simple. point is, its already a boxy look and thats with no door yet! the tile is not tying into anything (aesthically speaking). i woke up this morning and really felt i was going to go with the clear, but (here i go again) now i'm back to thinking i'm gonna go with some sort of obscure. If you think i'm making a mistake, please respond, but please address the "square shower in the corner" situation. thanks

• midwestmama
    14 years ago

St Louie, we are doing the same thing with a knee wall to the vanity! I am LOVING the idea of putting the niche there!!! Would you be able to take a few pics? I'd love to have actual photos to show what I want! Oooooh, I'm loving this idea now!!!

For glass, I always thought we'd do the clear glass, never considered something else but I do want to let the tile work show too, so glad to think of that point. I am leaning towards frameless so there is less of it that is noticeable. I want the focus on the tilework, and if I want to change colors later, I don't want the frame standing out.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

I understand the "clear glass would make the room appear larger" thought, and agree. But, if you're not showcasing any special tilework and you DO want to hide all your shower products, the rain texture will obscure those products but not look like a "white box" in the corner. I have a rain textured bathroom door (in the master ensuite). It has a transparency rating of 7 (out of 10 with 10 being the most private). I love mine but it's a passage door not a shower door so I don't know if this helps or not. Your bathroom sounds soft and light/airy. I chose the *rain* texture for my bathroom door because I thought it went with the whole water/spa feel I wanted.
    Monica

• busybee3
    14 years ago

i think the rain textured glass is much more attractive than the frosted glass, unless you're after a very modern look. i think the rain glass would also help soften that white box in the corner look.......and even tho the rain glass obscures the view, it's still "clear" unlike the frosted glass which looks white.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

What about cascade? Doesn't hide anything but gives a cool look even with plain tile.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

can you tell me a link that i can see the cascade? is cascade a company or a specific glass?

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

http://www.bascoshowerdoor.com/showroom.asp then go to virtual, then choose the shower on the left (white) then go thru glass choices. The shower on the right doesn't have cascade as an option.

Here is a link that might be useful: basco shower door

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks so much

• sue_b
    14 years ago

I like the Cascade glass too and you can see it in the very first post at the link if you scroll down on the page to the Premium Glass options.
    I got the pattern instead of clear also because my DH felt strongly folks using this as our main guest bath didn't need to see our bath products. With the niche on the far wall away from the faucet you don't see the bath products. Also look for a loofah the same color as your tile--it doesn't have to be pink. Lastly, I learned about this shampoo & soap dispenser on this forum and I put ours above the the tub faucet and under the shower head. I love it. Maybe you can do the clear since your niche is at the far wall AND you can get this neutral looking dispenser.

Here is a link that might be useful: shower shampoo dispenser

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yeah, i really like the dispenser. thanks so much. regarding the cascade glass, it looks rather clear to me. does it really obscure? ok, i'll tell you all the truth... my 20 something son lives with me and sometimes when he's in the shower i'll have to get him a razor, shampoo, a towel, whatever. i dont want to go in there and hide my eyes which i'd have to do with a clear glass. i would accept a "ken doll" kinda thing goin on. would the cascade give me the obscurity i'm looking for? (oh, god this is so embarrassing)

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

Cascade is not going to give any privacy in the shower. But is you just want something to jazz up plan tile or slightly blur shampoo bottles.

I completely understand as with 1 bathroom right now and 4 people using it. We have 2 heavy shower curtains. Personally if had to put glass in there I don't know I would choose. Once the master is done, my teenagers still need to share that bath. Not sure even rain would do it.

novacat, have you gone to an actual showroom with "fake" showers? If not I really suggest you do. It really makes a difference if you can try out difference glass. You can see how well the body and tile is obscured or not. More better than just looking at a sample.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

oh, i have gone. that's when i realized that the "frosted" would look like a white box. i saw the "rain glass" and it would do the trick, but in the back of my head i am still wondering if it's too "grandma-ish". then i saw the "monumental", something that seems to have as much obscurity as "rain". i just thought i'd get other suggestions. i even saw one thats called pattern 65 (i think) and stipolite. they're supposed to be passe stock glass, but i kind of like them. what i need is something that allows some light (looking in and out) and still looks as good as it possible can...updated and fresh. again, any and all sugguestions would be appreciated.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

Silk or steam mist?

• sabigabatini
    14 years ago

What about glass that is obscured only halfway up?

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

debrak, yes, those are others that i was considering. i live in the long island area and the 2 places that i went to (one was an upscale shower door place) were kinda pushing the clear. when i stated how i felt they BOTH said rain was the best. then i started talking to you guys, looking around on the websites and got myself a little more educated. i called one of the places back and asked about the satin. He said the satin was actually the frost. (which is the one that would look like a white box) i also saw steam on a website and would love to have an up close and personal. maybe i could go to a place like consumers kitchen and bath where they would have more to look at. i guess some of the shower door places have an x amount of displays, probably the ones that sell the most, and dont bother showing you their samples. It makes sense for them and i understand. so i guess the onus is on me to go to a place with a wider range of displays. thanks.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

Keep us posted on what you decide. Today I ordered my frameless door in clear.

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sure thing. so i went back to the shower door place and pressed them on what other samples they had. i was shown "stipolite". kinda liked it as far as the obscurity goes, but it's too greenish for me. i asked if they had a low iron stipolite and he said no. anyway, when i got home he called and said he found something called "krystal serenity". so i went back and it seems perfect. its low iron, and was told it was real easy to clean since it didnt have all the grooves of the "rain glass" or "bubble" or"monumental". its a real simple look. he's coming on mon. to measure. BUT...now that the shower is finally grouted im actually considering the clear again. guess i wont know my final decision until i actually order it. One thing the guy told me that got me thinking: when my son is in the shower, the glass will fog up anyway! lol i didnt think of that. then i'm thinking about all the above posts about getting pretty pump containers for the soap and shampoo or that dispenser that sue b wrote about. and yes, i'll have to get a white loofa. really, though, i still haven't come to a firm decision. if any one out there has seen the krystal serenity, and has an opinion, please let me know. thanks

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

"the glass will fog up" That's what my husband said, so I finally said ok, let's get clear. Have not seen serenity so can't help on that one. Good luck.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

Don't know about the rain textured door you're looking at but my rain textured bathroom entry door is smooth on one side and textured on the other.
    Monica

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i think all the textured doors are smooth on the inside. but on the outside i was thinking about hairspray (gel spray, body spray, whatever)getting on it. it's a small bathroom, so i think its inevitable that somethings gonna stick to it. on my last visit to the shower door place, i was leaning towards the rain(again). it really is pretty and it does give me the obscuity i want. so monday is my final decision day. i'll let you know what i ordered.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

Good luck with your decision. You're right, it probably will get over spray on it. But, imo the texture isn't one that would be difficult to clean. I like the level of obscurity too and thought the rain *look* fit well with a bathroom :)
    Monica

• novacat_2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The shower door guy came over and measured yesterday. Turns out that i ordered the "krystal serenity". It'll takes 2 weeks before it's installed. he also suggested that i get a door 78" high rather than 72 since the shower head was installed higher than usual (to accomodate my son's height). So I went for it. Just hope I dont have any "woulda, coulda, shoulda's after this is all done.

• debrak_2008
    14 years ago

I just googled krystal serenity and it looks nice! Post pics once it's done.