Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

How many inches of counter is ideal between front edge and sink?

threeapples
11 years ago

I'm looking at the Kohler Devonshire, which comes in two sizes, 18 3/4" x 15 1/4" OR 20 1/2" x 16 1/2". I have not yet chosen our faucets, but here is our vanity, with dimensions.

Comments (18)

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

3-4" from counter edge to sink edge is common. It looks like your sink bases are deeper than the adjacent (drawer?) bases. If so, what are the depth measurements? The way the sinks are drawn in will give too much space between the edge of the counter and the edge of the sink which can make things like leaning over the sink while brushing your teeth a little more challenging. And you can forget cleaning behind the faucets with how close they're drawn to the wall. I would pull your sinks forward to remedy both these issues.

Hope this helps!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, my dreamhome. Here is a photo of our vanity installed:

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's so pretty, sparkle bread! Thanks for the photo. How deep is your vanity area and what kind of faucet is that, it's very nice?

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Sparklebread, that is perhaps the 'prettiest' ceramic sink I've ever seen! It looks like a positive reveal that is designed into the sink bowl itself? Have you had it long enough to measure how easy/difficult it is to clean?

I'd also like to know more about the dimensions. ie depth of counter, size of sink... AND depth of your marble, and if it's 3cm, did you also use 3cm thick for your backsplash? Somehow, your sink depth looks less than the counter edge?

Love the visual, as I'm debating a granite BS or to do something different.

• sparklebread
    11 years ago

Wow- I was not expecting the compliments- so thank you both!

I believe the cabinet is 24" deep and we used the 18" x 14" Devonshire sink.

The faucet is Rohl viaggio in nickel. Like it so far.

We have been using the bathroom for a little over a month. Sinks are easy to clean, thankfully!

I am sorry, but I don't know anything about the sink reveal. I guess we got lucky! The marble is 3cm. We used the same marble for the backsplash. I wanted it to be taller than it is, but we ran into an issue with the electrical outlets.

Hope that helps :-)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, that's really helpful. The marble guy told me I could get away with the larger sink. Do you think that would be a tight squeeze?

• Shelley Graham
    11 years ago

We have two Devonshires - the larger in a guest bathroom and the smaller in the powder room. We will be putting two more in our master bath. Here is a picture of the larger one. The counter is 23-1/2 deep from the backsplash to the front. We have 4" between the sink and the front of the counter. You might consider having your fabricator give you an ogee edge around the sink, as you see here. It looks great with the Devonshire!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SS7741, that is beautiful. I'm so excited about this sink now! :)

Do you think there is ample room behind the faucet (not suggesting there isn't, but just confirming)?

• Shelley Graham
    11 years ago

Apples, there is plenty of room behind the faucets. We have different faucets in each bathroom, and so far no worries. Enjoy!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great, thanks!

• jag1929
    2 years ago

@Shelley Graham

Hi Shelley, it's been a long time since the original thread. On the off chance you see this, have you had any issues with the 4" in front of your sink? We also put in the larger Devonshire in our newly remodeled master bathroom. The stone fabricator left 4" in front of the sink. It feels like a bit of a reach to get to the faucet (we are using Devonshire single faucet.) I guess it also depends on your height? I'd love to hear your insights since you've lived with it for a while. Thanks much!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

If you've got a 1 1/2" of countertop overhanging the cabinet, 3/4" thick cabinets, allow a 1 1/4" for a wide sink flange, an undermounted sink can have as small as a 3 1/2" wide front rail. If the sink flange isn't as wide, or you don't mind cutting into the cabinet, you could shave another inch or so off that.

Smaller is more functional and looks best.

• Shelley Graham
    2 years ago

Hi jag1929...We’ve had no issues with the 4” setback. Still happy we made that decision. Perhaps a reach for shorter folks, but I’m 5’5” and find it perfect for a 36” counter height.

• jag1929
    2 years ago

@Shelley Graham Thanks so much! That's reassuring. I don't think I could have changed it (without great expense) if I wanted to. :)

• kculbers
    2 years ago

My kitchen sink is 4 inches and my bathroom sinks are 4.5 inches from sink to front edge of the counter.

• Roberta Simpkins
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Do you think 6 inches from the front to the sink is too long? If the width of the counter top is wider than normal would that changed the measurements for the sink and front of counter?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Yes and no.