Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sundownr

Finally, 1 remodeled bath and 1 new one

sundownr
14 years ago

We have wanted to remodel the bath rooms in our 1930's house for a long time (we've lived here 16 yrs) but could never make a decision on what to do. Finally decided to just do it. This forum was such an inspiration and I want to thank everyone that posts here. I will say I always wanted more bathroom pictures here so I'm posting mine. :)

The hall bath floor plan wasn't great so I stole closets out of the bedrooms on each side. BR#1 had another closet so no big deal. BR#2 is separated from the master BR by the original master bath and master closet so we decided to give the bath and closet to BR#2 and to convert a spare room (sewing/junk room) into a new master bath & closet.

I went to a couple of tile stores and "made up my mind" more than once. One Saturday I was looking at marble and another customer said - have you seen the porcelain that looks like marble? I hadn't. She showed it to me and I was sold. That's what I used in the hall bath.

It was hard to pick out finishes because I like so many different styles. I did buy the master bath vanity from the Restoration Hdwe outlet and I wish I hadn't. I bought it for the hall bath but then changed the whole floor plan. That meant I had to use it in the master and it was so long that I didn't have many floor plan options because of 6' vanity, windows etc.

I don't know if anyone read my original thread about the bathroom where I asked about a chandelier http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/bath/msg1100582713301.html?6 but I ended up picking the "bubble" tile as an accent and decided on this chandelier with the round glass balls. I'm not sure if it "goes" but I don't care. I like it.

What's done is done and I do like love both of them. We had a "bathrooms are finished"/birthday party Saturday and of the 40 people here most of them preferred the hall bath.

Original hall bath

{{gwi:1415264}}

{{gwi:1415266}}

Standing by the tub looking towards the door at the hall.

{{gwi:1415268}}

The new master closet and bath will be behind that window (which was originally to a porch that was converted to a room years ago).

{{gwi:1415270}}

New bathroom from hallway

{{gwi:1405811}}

The towel rack is actually a toilet paper holder. The counter is soapstone.

{{gwi:1415272}}

Dual flush toilet from Home Depot, (love the dual flush) Mercer train rack from Pottery Barn

{{gwi:1415274}}

Pedestal tub from Van Dyke's Restoration. It was the cheapest one from a place that I couldn't find bad reviews of. Plus it's owned by Cabela's.

{{gwi:1409340}}

Copycat pottery barn chandelier from overstock. You can barely see the dropped crown molding with the black paint extended down the wall. There is rope lighting behind the crown for a "night light".

{{gwi:1415276}}

The new master bath

{{gwi:1387584}}

{{gwi:1415279}}

{{gwi:1415281}}

{{gwi:1415283}}

I inherited this cabinet and all of the Lladro from my mom. I've had it for years with no place to put it in our tiny house so it's been boxed up in the basement. Someone else picked paint colors for me and this color is so beautiful in real life - SW Rainwashed. It reminded me of the Lladro so I brought some of it up and I think it looks great in this bathroom. The painting is also from my mom and she and my dad bought it in Spain many, many years ago. This room screamed for the painting, too.

{{gwi:1415284}}

{{gwi:1415285}}

Although the back yard hasn't been completely cleaned of all the remodeling mess, I love the view from the bathroom and can't decide what kind of window covering to use and keep the view.

{{gwi:1415286}}

I was still changing floor plans after the bathroom was demo'd. I (obviously) didn't plan it all that well because I had to buy the freestanding towel rack for the master bath and the hall bath doesn't have a place to hang a towel while you are showering but we'll work it out. :) There isn't any storage in the hall bath so I bought three file boxes from the Container Store for "stuff" and I like them. The basket under the vanity is for dirty washcloths/hand towels. My 15 yr old daughter uses this bathroom.

Comments (42)

• brickton
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think I agree with your guests about the hall bath. Don't get me wrong, if you had just posted the master, I'm sure people would swoon over it. But the hall bath just has so much more character (?) somehow.

Is the porcelain tile in the hall AO Catarina Coliseum White? Whatever it is, I love it. I actually like it more than the marble in the master bath, which again is a great bath but somehow suffers in comparison.

I do love the RH vanity in the master. I understand that since it wasn't your intention that you might not love it, but really it's a beautiful vanity that combined with the interesting framing on the mirror is my favorite part of that bath.

Is the bubble tile talked about in another thread? Because it's great. Unique and quirky without being kitchsy or just ugly (as is the case of some other attempts at unique and quirky). It's fun, it goes with the bath, kind of looks like suds overflowing the freestanding tub, but not in a cutesy way.

Really though you now have two great bathrooms.

One last question though, what did you do with those old sinks? They're actually kind of great in a retro way. The bathroom itself was pretty rough looking, but something about those sinks was neat.

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

ok, where do i begin? I am speechless!!!!

vavavoooom... Both bathrooms are simply out of the world. gwajus!

I love everything about them. The marble, soapstone, chandelier, shower, tub, the rough edge in the shower, all of the accessories, just lovely.
    and the 4x4 tile counters and wall bathroom is gone. RIP.

Congratulations, you have done an outstanding remodel :)

• sundownr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Brickton. I agree, the hall bath is more striking but luckily for me I love both of them. :)

The porcelain tile is Daltile Navelli Carrera Star 12x12 tiles. I did think about doing the same tile in both bathrooms but thought it might lose some of it's impact so I didn't. If anyone buys that tile I would not recommend buying the bullnose tiles. They are poorly made and a waste of money (in my opinion).

The other thread - I had chosen a different accent tile (before I found the porcelain) and wanted opinions on a capiz chandelier.

The sinks - I wanted to save the sinks because I want to install one in the old master bath - but I think they were put on the dump trailer. I verified with the contractor that the bathrooms would be finished before the party and Friday was a frantic day. Some new helpers were there cleaning up and I think they were tossed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrera Star Porcelain Tile

• sundownr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Pharaoh! I don't have the decorating "gift" like so many of the posters here so it was hard trying to decide if it would all work or if it would be gawdy or too much.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Ooh, lovely baths. What are the dimensions of the hall bath, and how wide is the shower?

• sawmill
    14 years ago

What an incredible job you did in both rooms!
    The layout is just so interesting in the hall bath with the tub lined up in front of that amazing shower. All its elements combine to be stunning. Love the chandelier and the dark ceiling!
    Your master is lovely, with beautiful materials. Good luck on the window coverings. We had trouble compromising on that part.

• sundownr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, writersblock and annaleef. :)

We gained at least 6" in the bathroom with all the old tile removed. The room is 9'2" wide (it was 8.5') by 11.5' and the shower is 34" deep. Not very deep but it feels much larger.

• overmyhead08
    14 years ago

My gawd but your new hall bath is jaw-droppingly stunning. Your master bath is lovely as well, but the design of your hall bath is one I haven't seen on this forum before and makes one helluva statement.

Love the dark ceiling, shower/tub design, chandelier, and, of course, that "bubble" tile. Would you share the actual name of your "bubble" tile with us?

Fabulous job on both bathrooms. Congratulations.

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

That hall bath is stunning!! And just getting finished on our new house, I wish I had seen that bath a long time ago! I was also looking at marble, but liked the easier maintenence of porcelain- I wish I had seen that tile! You can't tell the difference!

The dark ceiling- amazing- well done!

• bostonpam
    14 years ago

WOW!! Both bathrooms are great but the guest bathroom is spectacler. What a transformation. Very bold to paint the ceiling so dark (black?) but it works wonderfully. I love the hall tile too. Congratulations on a fantastic job.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Wow, those are some fabulous transformations!

I'm curious as to how you got away with the chandelier placement in the guest bath! I'd wanted to use pendants but was told that national electrical code prohibited using ANY hanging light fixtures within a certain distance of showers or tubs... and yours seems well within those restrictions. I was told the inspector would flag it make us remove it, and I didn't want to purchase and install fabulous lighting and then have to remove it... did your inspector not care at all?

• heidi877
    14 years ago

Wow! Those are both fabulous and spacious bathrooms.

Can you tell me more about the medicine cabinet/mirror in your guest bath? I'm trying to find something similar...is it custom?

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Love them both! Absolutely jaw-dropping!

Is the bubble tile from Porcelanosa? We'll be using their Moon Saturn Blanco mosaic (very similar, but White Thassos as opposed to Carrara, with cut-outs in the larger circles) in our MB. Our MB is much smaller than either of your bathrooms, so won't have quite the same impact!

• kitchenkrazed09
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! I especially love the dramatic black ceiling in the hall bath.

• lagrant
    14 years ago

absolutely positively BEAUTIFUL!! I am SUCH a marble fan - just just breathtaking!!! thank you so much for sharing

• gobruno
    14 years ago

Wow! Beautiful. So well done. The transformation is unbelieveable. I love that you were brave enough to do black ceilings. It turned out great. I need to get the same courage when it comes to colors in our house. Thanks for sharing!

• sundownr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

overmyhead08 and cat_mom - I found the bubble tile at Daltile but they don't carry it anymore. My receipts are at home but I googled and found it here http://www.mosaicexpo.com/gallery.html 3rd row, 4th from the left. It's made by Rock Products

staceyneil - I dont know if we've even had the inspection yet. They literally finished Friday at 9PM. If it doesn't pass I'll take it down and replace it after the inspection. We have 9' ceilings and I don't think I can even reach the chandelier so I'm not worried about any danger it may pose.

appletini - I did have the cabinet and vanity made. I wanted the cabinet between the studs and I couldn't find a vanity that I liked that wasn't outrageously priced so they guys just knocked one together.

I had seen black ceilings on a couple of blogs and when I decided on the marble-looking porcelain I just had to do the ceiling. It's "Black Magic" SW6991. It's just paint, right? If it turned out wrong I could repaint it.

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

Really stunning! Congratulations on your two beautiful bathrooms.

I have a few questions for you. I am just trying to finish up a remodel also using the Daltile Navelli Carrera Star 12x12s. What did you mean by "I would not recommend buying the bullnose tiles. They are poorly made and a waste of money (in my opinion)."? I do feel a little like the edge of the bullnose is cheaper looking than the surface of the tile. Almost like they painted on a finished edge afterwards. But otherwise I haven't had any issues with them. And so far they seem to look better where I have used them than if I had just used field tile or cut 3" strips from the field tile. Can you clarify?

Also, could you tell me what exactly you did for the tile trim around the base of the walls? It's beautiful! That's the one part of tile laying that I have remaining and I'm uncertain what to do. If you have the time, I would love to see some close up pictures of that as well.

Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful bathrooms. I really enjoyed seeing such inspirational pictures.

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

Also, what tile did you use for the floor of the shower? It looks very complimentary to the Carrera Star tile.

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

I read something really funny today:

"I don't have the decorating "gift" like so many of the posters here"

actually made me laugh out loud :)

A question: what gloss paint did you use on the ceiling? And what is the name of the color?

(and I have to say, in terms of before pics, yours is not all that horrible--it's got style and imagination, just was aged to the point of falling apart--but it deserved a nice long life as it seems it had. Really cool in itself, replaced by something equally as cool)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the dimensions.

Flyleft, I got a chuckle out of that statement, too. :)

• krayers
    14 years ago

I love, love, love your new baths. Have been searching for a reasonable tub like the one you used in your bath. Do you like it?? I need a little bit smaller version.

Have been lurking here for a long time trying to muster up the courage to gut our 20 year old bathroom.

Have to agree with the previous posters - you have quite a "gift" for decorating. Great job - beautiful bathrooms.

• jtb2004
    14 years ago

Stunning! I love them both...but especially the dramatic ceiling in the hall bath. I had thought about doing something like that for our remodel, but chickened out. It definitely works!

• sundownr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the kind comments. It's nice to hear that others like them too.

pricklypearcactus, Maybe I shouldn't have said not to buy the bullnose but I'm still pretty mad that I had to pay $13 a ft for what I got. It certainly does look like they just rounded off the tile and painted the edge with porcelain paint.

The tile trim around the base of the walls is a piece of plastic molding the GC picked up at HD or Lowes. At first I thought - really?? But I like how it turned out.

For the shower floor I used a 3/4" square marble tiles. It does look good. In the master shower I used marble penny tiles and while I love the penny tiles it really had more brown in it than I expected so it doesn't match as well as the 3/4" squares.

{{gwi:1415287}}

I'll try to remember to take a picture of the hall bath shower floor for you and the little molding above the tiles on the floor. Is that what you meant or did you mean the baseboard tile in general? The baseboard tile is just the regular tile cut 4" (I think).

flyleft, the bathroom ceiling is "Black Magic" SW6991 and it's latex semi gloss.

krayers, I do like the tub because it's beautiful but I haven't used it yet. My 1 yr old grandson liked it. :)

• pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

I would love to see some pictures of the baseboard and the little molding above the tiles on the floor (exactly as you mentioned). I am still undecided on how to finish off the trim in my bathroom and though your original pictures were from a distance I really liked the look. Thank you for clarifying how he finished off the tile trim at the base of the walls. That is a unique idea that I've never seen before. I've only ever seen the edge of the tile trimmed with some kind of metal strip. Yours looks to fit in beautifully with the rest of the trim work in the bathroom.

I would also love to see a closeup of your hall shower floor if you have the time. Your master bathroom shower floor is also beautiful. The penny tiles are really unique and I think the overall looks you have achieved are stunning.

• sundownr
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • pricklypearcactus
    14 years ago

Thank you very much sundownr! The trim really looks good, nicely detailed. And the marble mosaic floor looks gorgeous!

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

Majestic, both of them. I wish we had sufficient space to do something similar. Celebrate (oh, you already have) now that they are finished.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

Two magazine bathrooms for sure! I wish you lived next door. "We'd" paint my ceiling black like yours. And if it really didn't work, change it to something else. Did it seem to make the ceiling lower than it actually was? Right now I'm leaning toward black and white or black and ivory with copper accents. I might do that black ceiling. "it's only paint". I bought tin ceiling look wallpaper for that room.......still do it black??? Or forget the paper and just go with smooth black ceiling?

• mahatmacat1
    14 years ago

Oops, meant to say thanks for the paint ID. Blacks are actually hard to choose!

• gam51
    14 years ago

Wow, I am so in love with your hall bath. I struggle with paint colors so wondering if you would share your wall and vanity colors. Also, what type of finish was your ceiling paint? Can't tell if it is a gloss. You have done a magnificent job. You've inspired me to get to work on my hall bath. Thanks for sharing!

• sundownr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Once again, I really appreciate all of the kind comments. :-)

Pinch me - My bath ceiling is 9' and I don't think it makes it seem lower. I really like how they lowered the crown molding and the black paint is on the upper walls and the ceiling. You might try painting a smooth ceiling black and see how it works for you. If you don't love it install your wallpaper over it. If you like the black I think it's striking enough on its own that you don't need the wallpaper texture.

Gam51 - the wall and vanity color is something my neighbor mixed up for a project she was working on. She let me borrow it and I had it mixed at the paint store. I guess the numbers will be on the can, right? I'll look when I get home tonight. They just kind of dry brushed the wall color on the vanity. I had the vanity made of paint grade lumber and then decided to kind of white wash/dry brush it so maybe the color of the wood is showing enough to keep it from being gray. The ceiling is "Black Magic" SW6991 and it's latex semi gloss.

• pinch_me
    14 years ago

That would make more sense. The paper would cover the paint if I didn't like it. I think mine is 8 ft. I haven't measured because I didn't need to know. I wouldn't ask my carpenter to repeat my kitchen ceiling! He survived it once. I won't push it!

• sunshinestone01
    14 years ago

Your bathrooms look very beautiful and comfortable. I love the veining of Carrara Marble too.

• pps7
    14 years ago

sundownr, I just saw your baths in the decorating forum and I had to come over and find out all the details! Gorgeous! The guest bath has more drama, but the master is more serene and spa-like. I only hope mine turn out 1/2 as nice.

What tile did you use in the master?

• klabocki
    13 years ago

beautiful bathrooms! Awesome job in putting everything together. I'm thinking about using the Carrera Star for my remodel, although I'm very curious about what you used in your master bath - is that real marble?

I have a very dark vanity with carrara marble top. I'm currently thinking about doing a basketweave carrar marble floor with white subway tile in shower/around bath. Now I'm thinking if I should just do the carrera star on the floor and shower? Any thoughts?

Also - what faucet fixtures do you have in your master bath. I'm currently searching for that perfect vintage/classic chrome faucet.

• maggie200
    13 years ago

Well, a thousand sighs for your beautiful bathrooms. I just finished asking about glass blocks and vessels on this site. I wanted pop in 2 small bathrooms. It has been wonderful to see what you have done. If there were one suggestion you could offer of what to do if I had an all white bathroom and had an opportunity to add a jawdropping
    piece, do you have a answer. A special sink or shower. I have done nothing yet but it seems I am trying to please the public and not offend anyone's taste so they won't shoot my condo down after a complete redo. You could post an answer on my 2 questions - are vessels in style and are glass blocks in style that I wrote on July 2nd. Apparently not. I would like to have an "aw" moment everytime I walk into my bathroom like you must have. It's hard :(

• sundownr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pps7, I'm sorry I didn't see your post in April. :( Thank you for your comments!

labocki, the master is real marble called Gioia and I bought it from DalTile.

I was originally going to do a patterned floor and subway in the shower, too! Then I saw the marble and decided to use it everywhere. I thought a 'tile rug' with patterned tile in the middle of the floor would be the star of that bathroom until I realized I would probably have a real rug covering that cold marble tile floor and it would cover any tile rug so I just did 100% 12x12 polished marble everywhere.

That was a short story made long :) but I wanted to tell you I had your vision also (Mrs. Limestone-ish). Having said all that, I would be very happy with the Carrera Star on all of the surfaces in the master. The shower floor can be your basketweave. Or maybe the shower floor plus a row on the wall similar to the bubbles in our hall bathroom.

The faucets in the master were bought at Home Depot about 10 yrs ago and I think they are Delta. I did see similar faucets in either HD or Lowes.

Good luck!

maggie200, thank you! Personally, I would not use vessel sinks now and glass block would depend on how you are using it. I'm going out of town tomorrow morning and still have to pack after work today but if I have time I'll find your posts.

• klabocki
    13 years ago

Thank you so much sundownr, that is very helpful. Does the Daltile star still provide you with the look of "classic marble" even though it's not. Do you prefer the Carrera Star or the Gioria? May I ask approximately how much you purchased it for? I'm going to go and try and look at it tomorrow. And one my question...what paint color did you use in the hall bath?? thanks again, much appreciated!

• karena_2009
    13 years ago

sundownr,

I keep coming back to your bathroom over and over again! I, too, found Mrs. Limestone's bathrooms to be an inspiration. I absolutely love carrara marble, but I'm beginning to think that given our lifestyle and only two bathrooms that the Dal Tile carrara look-alike might be the way to go. So thanks for the link to the Carrara Star!

I have to say, though, I did like your old bathroom floor with the hex tiles with the turquoise flowers. Of course, given your new bathroom they wouldn't be appropriate. However, I am considering doing a black and white version with the black flowers. Did you also use the same Carrara Star Dal tile on the floor? How do you find the upkeep? Is it pretty easy to clean the 12 x 12 tiles overall?

Thanks for sharing your work!

• sundownr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

labocki, I don't think anyone would ever think the Carrera Star is real marble but I really like it. I can't remember how much the tile was. I think the porcelain was under $2 and I think the marble was $8 or $9. Quite a difference but I'm still happy with my choices. I want to say the real Carrera marble was closer to $5 ft but I thought the Gioia (pronounced Goya) was so much prettier. I could have been very happy using the porcelain in the master if I hadn't used it in the hall but I didn't want to use it in both.

One thing a person could do with either type of tile is to put some of it on the diagonal to create more interest. Once I decided to spend the $$ on the real marble and was still considering a tile "rug" one thought was to make a rectangle on the floor with the 12" tiles on the diagonal inside the rectangle.

In the end, obviously, I kept them all straight and square.

The hall bath paint is a perfect gray but it's a custom mix. My neighbor brought over a little container of paint she had mixed up and I had the paint store match it.

Go to the store and check out what they have. Good luck!

I won't be back in town or around a computer until 7/20 so wait until then if you have any more questions. :D

• Tara Shedden
    8 years ago

I can't see pics, they are all gone :(