Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Showerhead height

Posted by dcwesley (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 21:23

We are installing two Moen Velocity rainshower heads in our 3 x 5 foot shower. They have a lever to change from rain to spray. DH (recently reitred) is overseeing our contractor. I specifically mentioned to DH not to let the showerheads be mounted too high becuase I need to be able to reach the lever. The contractor ran the shower plumbing today. He said the showerheads, one mounted on each end wall, need to be high to be effective as "rain." Ay guidance on how high they should be?

One challenge is DH is 6-4 and I am 5-4. I thought about having them mounted at different heights, but don't think we would like the look.

The sheetrock will probably go up tomorrow. Help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Showerhead height

I think function trumps looks here. Mount them at different heights.

o

Maybe you could mount them both on something like this articulating shower arm that adjusts up and down to your reference. Mount them at the same height and each of you adjust them to your desired spot.

o

I don't have a rain shower head, just a Moen Kingsley shower head with a diverter to a hand shower. I am 5'6" and my significant other is 6'3", so we are close to the heights of you and your husband. I mounted the shower head pipe at 7' to make certain my significant other would not have to stoop under the shower head. The pipe comes out of the wall at 7', but the shower head itself is a little lower (maybe 6'8"-6'10" or so). The diverter valve is right above the shower head. So you should find out where the lever is in relation to the shower head. I can reach the diverter just fine, but my arm is nearly all the way extended. If we'd gone another 6" higher, I probably wouldn't be able to reach.

I would suggest you stand on the floor and raise your arm all the way up until it's as tall as you can comfortably get (to reach a lever). Then ask your husband to measure from the floor to your hand. Provide that measurement to your plumber and explain that the lever must be no higher than that.

Alternatively, you could follow catbuilder's suggestion to mount the heads at different heights.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here