Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pitterpatter94_gw

Pretty please: redesign this master bath floorplan

pitterpatter94
10 years ago

Hi,
Can you please give me your thoughts on this Craftsman ranch floor plan. Our lot is heavily wooded, sloping to a lake. The windows on the back of the house will have a nice winter view of the lake. We are wanting to build as soon as possible on our lot. I like all the walk-in closets for the master bedroom. But I am wondering if the master bath could be reworked.

*The master bath has a tub that I do not think we will use. If we do not install one, what do we do with that space?
*There is a lot of empty floor space in the bathroom.
*Want a nice big shower space.
*We also have elderly parents and would like one of the bedrooms to have a larger closet with it's own bathroom in case they stay with us. Could that be arranged with in this floor plan?
*The other bedroom will be used for a office/small guest room
*Our college age daughter will have her room in the finished walk out basement.
*I like the location of the kitchen, it is at the south side of the house and would like many windows to bring in the sun. The picture of the kitchen below is not of this house. I like the partial wall separating the great room and kitchen in this picture.
*Would like a 3 car garage. One side for a pontoon boat. Can that be added to the house plan?
*Any other thoughts would greatly be appreciated.
*The square footage of the main floor is 2300 sq ft.

Thank you!! :)

This post was edited by pitterpatter94 on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 21:25

Comments (6)

• kidhorn
    10 years ago

The only thing I can think of is if you get rid of the tub in the master bath, you can have a large double sink vanity in place of the one nearest to the shower. You can shift the toilet down and make the walk in closet bigger. One of the sinks would be looking out a window instead of into a mirror.

You can make a wall of cabinets in the kitchen, but you would lose the open floor plan. The only reason I would do this is if I was short on cabinet space and could find matching cabinets.

• pitterpatter94
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kidhorn, Thank you for your comments. I do not have a strong feeling about the tub one way or the other. I just wish there was a way to use the extra master bathroom floor space in the 2nd bedroom. To give my guest/parent a little more space in the bedroom. I just see a queen bed two night stands and a dresser now. Not much room for a chair & tv.
    I do not want to lose the openness of the kitchen.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Would you consider moving the laundry to the garage? If so, you could make the laundry the second bathroom, and the second bathroom could be incorporated into the second bedroom.

BTW, the wooded lot is gorgeous!!

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Well, to add a bathroom, you have to subtract space from somewhere else or make the house bigger.

If your target for space reduction is the master bath, then what about pushing the laundry room straight up into where the shower is now? Re-orient the door and re-arrange the fixtures in the new, smaller space. The laundry room might have to shrink to accommodate a decent sized bath, but that could work.

If you have to increase the footprint, you could do this by bumping the whole RH wall out even with the master suite bump-out.

I would ask: how important is it for your parents to have a bathroom that opens from their room? If the other bedroom is going to be an office, and your daughter's room will be downstairs, is it likely that anyone else will be using the bathroom at the same time? Perhaps, if they live with you (or are you just talking visit?), the 3rd bedroom could be their den, with the chairs and TV, giving them a 2-room suite. Also, the linen closet in the bathroom could be eliminated to make the BR closet bigger.

• lattelady
    10 years ago

You could remove the vanity next to the toilet in the Master Bath and take the corner tub out to run a huge shower from the toilet wall to the end.
    It's a beautiful house with a nice layout.

• Peke
    10 years ago

You could move the laundry to the smaller master closet. The entry door could be either in the master bedroom or the hall. Then you could make sure the bathroom and its doorway have enough room. Do you need doors wide enough for future wheelchairs?