Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_h_gw

Washcloths - what do you use to hang yours in the shower?

jill_h
16 years ago

We are about to re-tile our shower and currently have adhesive clips to hang our washcloths from. Don't want to re-use this idea, but can't seem to come up with a different solution. The best solution so far is a towel bar, but we don't want the ceramic style - something more along the lines of what we would hang our bath towel from. We will have a bar to mount the handheld shower and we thought there might be something that could be attached to the bar that we could hang our washcloths from. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments (58)

• jbjust
    16 years ago

Is there any risk to using the silicon adhesive on sealed Travertine tile? That sounds like a great solution, but don't want to leave a permanent mark in case I grow tired of the hook. I'm leaning toward going with an unobtrusively-hung suction-cup hook for that reason.

• jill_h
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like these ideas - any more???

• maddielee
    16 years ago

• hamster
    16 years ago

terricks
    love that idea! I might steal it! Is that brushed nickel?

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I think that they are satin or brushed nickel. Bought them at Lowes.

• mowers
    16 years ago

Does anyone actually use wash clothes? I have not used one, and do not really know of anyone else that does either. I have "borrowed" them from Hotels for use as household rags or to use to wipe the oil stick clean.

And even if I did use them, I would use a new one each day, it seems nasty to dry one out and re-use it on your face (or other body parts) the next day. To me, they are so small, I would just have a weeks worth to last me, and they would go in the laundry.

• cindy_socal
    16 years ago

My daughters and I use them to remove makeup and wash our faces - clean one every night. They are hung until dry enough to throw into the laundry. I buy the 24-pack at Costco, and when they get icky, they become rags and we get new ones. 24 last a long time, even with 4 women using them.

• hamster
    16 years ago

same here but I wanted a hook in the shower for my nylon scrunchie thingabob.

• debtro
    16 years ago

napagirl, I have brushed nickel. Have only been using them since January so I can't comment on long-term use. We have mineraly well water with much salt in a water softener and I do have to brush off the fixtures after each use or there are serious water spots. But I believe that's our water & the salts -- it shows on everything that gets wet. I've seen your posts about longevity of Rohl fixtures & finish and wonder about the answers myself!

OK back to thread topic ...

• toadangel
    16 years ago

i agree - why even post if all you have to say is how you don't use washcloths. obviously she does so just stay out of it if you don't have any ideas about how to hang them. and if you don't use them, perhaps you may not understand *how* they are used - i personally found it insulting that it seemed to be depicted as this gross nasty habit to use washcloths. i use them & hang them on a towel rod that's installed at the end of my tub/shower so they dry in there, & then put them in the dirty laundry the next morning. haven't used a hook before - my washcloths are kind of thick (in case it's still an issue what we actually use these things for, i use it to exfoliate as well as to wash, so thickness & texture helps). I like these ideas, though - keep em coming.

lisa

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

I'm not going to assume that she reuses them, but if it is just a case of drying them out before putting them into the laundry... then hang in the laundry room or affix something to the sink in the laundry area.

Like Cindy CA we buy the bulk from Costco, use them daily for face and when they get less than white or stained they become cleaning rags.

I grew up using face cloths, but when I became an adult and more educated on bacteria, I made changes. When my husband stopped using the same facecloth more than once, his skin cleared up also.

Just some thoughts, no judgements

• matt_r
    16 years ago

I agree, what is up with the washclothes? Why so much hoopla over drying them out? Special little hangers for them? Just throw them in the laundry. I have put many damp things in the laundry, and so what, a day later you do a laundry load. I never had mold issues. I wish I had time in my life to have such worries about what hanger to buy to hang washclothes on.

• bonnieg011
    16 years ago

Ringing in here.....I love a fresh washcloth for every shower. Why not?

I have no laundry room nor do I have a sink in the laundry area. I live in a condo where that just isn't an option. So big whoop....I hang my washcloth on a hook in the shower when I'm finished, and in the morning, toss the dry cloth into a laundry basket. Since I wash my towels and cloths in hot water with bleach, I don't see bacteria as an issue.

So...Jill H, in answer to your question that started all this, I am afraid to say that I am using a plastic suction cup hook for the purpose. I'm doing that now, because I like the clean look of my shower walls and didn't want to put anything in there right now. Of course, that will change in time.

I did purchase, from the Ginger line, a Splashable corner unit, and when that does go up, I suppose the washcloth will dry somewhere on there.

Washcloth users unite!

• cindy_socal
    16 years ago

This is turning into a funny thread!

In our part of the world, putting wet/damp things into the laundry hamper is a disaster, and I've taught the kids from a young age not to do that. The occasional gross pair of wet socks still surfaces, but they've done their own laundry now for a long time so I rarely deal with it. I have a towel bar over the washer that is just for drying dirty laundry, until it can get washed. Sounds strange, I guess to some.

In our new tub/shower (which the teens will use), I'm putting in a Ginger grab bar. It will be a washcloth-drying bar for them, and will serve as a grab bar if and when anyone needs it. That's my solution.

• kevin1727
    16 years ago

Live Wire Oak wrote "While nickel won't rust, the screws attaching them to the wall certainly will."
    I went to a local boat supplies store, Boaters World, and bought marine grade stainless steel screws to replace the rusting ones on my shower control. The new screws are still pristine after a couple of years.

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

what's a washcloth? ;*)

• hamster
    16 years ago

I'm scared!

• ladycfp
    16 years ago

I don't normally use them in the shower BECAUSE I don't have an easy place to hang them to dry. After a bath they end up on the side of the tub for me to throw them in the hamper when dry. Thanks to this thread, I now envision another use for my grab bar- washcloth hanger! As for sanitation issues, I have always wondered about the little scrubby things people use day after day, how you keep them clean. I have several in a closet that have come in various gift baskets or stuck to bottles of body wash, what is up with those?

Be nice, or I'll start a thread on bar soap that'll really get fur flying...

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Yea thos scrubby things, how gross, they hang on the faucet and never get sanitized like a washcloth does. I hang mine on the grab bar. My laundry is Two stories down to the basement. I also hang my towels to dry over the shower rod. Gasp, does that mean I use my towel again. I think a washcloth does a better job not only as a cleaning purpose but also gets the dead skin cells. I tried the scrubbies I didn't even feel clean.

• cindy_socal
    16 years ago

Okay, scrubbies are good too. And who says they don't get sanitized? My kids and DH use them; the kids have their own colors. They get thrown into a bleach load of laundry, and replaced regularly.

People like different things. It's okay. ;-)

• whoooooooooosh
    16 years ago

BAR SOAP??????????????? ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH

LOL

• jperiod
    16 years ago

I only use my washcloth to dry my eyes from the shower water (yeah, don't like water/soap/whatnot in my eyes), so it's never completely wet, just damp. In the past, I hang it over the curtain rod while I shower, then is hung on a long towel bar outside the shower with my towel after I'm all finished (for both to dry). In my current (to be redone) bathroom, there is only one towel bar that DH and I have to share, so no room for the washcloth. If I leave it on the curtain rod, DH inevitably drops it into the scummy water (ew!). We have a hand held shower head so the washcloth is permanently perched over the back of that until we remodel.

Honestly, it's never occured to me that washcloths need a special spot in the shower. I though everyone just tossed them on the curtain rod, then on the towel bar to dry! LOL See, you learn a lot in their forums!

• gopack
    16 years ago

jill_h, I noticed that you had posted on another thread about a Jetta tub you had purchased. I am also in the DFW area and just returned from the Jetta showroom today. I am all excited now because I just realized that you can add air jets to any of their whirlpool tubs as an option.

Just curious, which style tub did you choose???

Ginny

• jill_h
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginny - we chose the Grenada J2 non-jetted, just soak. It fit both of us quite well. However, I don't have it YET! I did not order it from Jetta, although their personnel at the store were very helpful. I ordered it from Capital Distributing (on I-35 @ Inwood) - they gave me a better price (I did not go back to Jetta to see if they would match it because I ordered all of my fixtures, et al through Capital). We're starting renovation next month.

• gopack
    16 years ago

Jill_h, Thanks for the info on your tub. I am looking at a few Jettas that have both the air and water jets. I guess they just started having that as an option so I am excited about it. I went into Capital Dist. yesterday to see their showroom and check out tubs. Nice place! The woman who was helping me look at tubs was not the friendliest person and after I sat in about 3 tubs, she basically told me to go to the Jetta showroom!! I could not believe it. It was like she wanted to get rid of me. Kind of funny.

Enjoy your tub!

Ginny

Yes, the people at the Jetta place were really nice.

• chrisk327
    16 years ago

I installed a towel bar at the end of my bathtub for washcloths. if you wring out the washcloth it is bone dry by the next day.

• cpccarolyn_2008
    16 years ago

Well, I use a wash cloth in the shower to dry the water off
    my face. I don't use it to wash my body. I do like a place
    to hang it to dry.

• pete_p_ny
    16 years ago

Thank goodness for camping once a month as a child in the boy scouts, followed by military service. I was spared getting accustomed to using wash clothes. And now I do not have the stress in my life in trying to find out how and where I can hang them to dry. I was lucky to just get a cold shower.

• cindy_socal
    16 years ago

I saw some little hooks at Target yesterday -- clear suction cup with a clear hook; 2/$1.99. You could tuck that in lots of places...

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Another good reason why every shower should have grab bars, even if the users are able bodied-- with the help of a grab bar, they might even stay that way!

Odd as this will sound, in my current shower, I have one of those little plastic gizmos made to attach Christmas lights to rain gutters. The big end slips over the shower door, and the small hook works well to hold the string of the plastic scrubby.

Much perfer the scrubbys to a cloth: they just seem to clean the skin better, and they basically clean themselves as well. They dry fast, and I don't have to wash, dry, clean and store cloths anymore!

• pointing
    16 years ago

Another good reason why every shower should have grab bars, even if the users are able bodied-- with the help of a grab bar, they might even stay that way!

The shower system should have shower head, massaging nozzles, hand-held shower, and tub spout together. If you can spend $200 less to buy a shower head at home depot, you should buy a whole shower paneling system for same amount of money.

Here is a link that might be useful: shower panel

• hamster
    16 years ago

point being?

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Oh, my point about grab bars is that cloth users can drape their wash cloths over them so they drip dry: I really didn't make that clear.

I've no idea what 'pointing's point was, or why it quoted my other post.

• toadangel
    16 years ago

pointing is a spammer

• igloochic
    16 years ago

You know I hadn't even thought of a place for a wash cloth, but we do need one. I love the idea of the knob :) I have hundreds of knobs :) So this is just one more place to put one heh heh

I'm curious...are those knobs pretty light, or did you hold it until the sylacone set? My knobs are pretty heavy and I don't like the idea of screwing into the tile (they're 24x24 and I would hate to see one break!) We don't have a shower rod to hang anything from, and while I did think of nieches, I don't want a wash cloth wadded up on a shelf...which is what DH will do and then they'll never dry!

• terezosa / terriks
    16 years ago

I just used masking tape to hold the knobs in place while the silicone set, then waited about 24 hours before using them. If you do use screws you may be able to place them in a grout line, then you wouldn't have to make a hole in the tile.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

Live Wire Oak wrote "While nickel won't rust, the screws attaching them to the wall certainly will."
    I went to a local boat supplies store, Boaters World, and bought marine grade stainless steel screws to replace the rusting ones on my shower control. The new screws are still pristine after a couple of years.

Kevin, THANKS!

The screws that hold the overflow plate in my tub are rusted, and it's ticking me off--they came with it, they should have been waterproof!

Now I know here to go to see if I can find one that will fit that WON'T rust.

• hamster
    16 years ago

oruboris...that statement wasn't meant for you. Sorry. it was pointed to the spammer.
    diane

• dna1238
    9 years ago

This is late but you can get one of those tension shower rods and put them inside the shower . If it is a shared bathroom with a lot of people this works well, everyone can habg their rag on that. I now just use a fresh one everyday but I live alone now and don't have much laundry anyway.

• kats737
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

N/m

• petlovermarcie
    8 years ago

I think a grab bar could be the best solution, serving two purposes.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

First of all you're bringing up an old thread so me thinks you are spamming Shower Surfer.

Additionally if I just redid my bath I would never put something so ugly in it. How ridiculous.

• johende
    5 years ago

Question about hanging washcloth on the grab bar: I was thinking of having my grab bar installed at a 45 degree angle so I don't need one vertical and another one horizontal. That would make it not so useful for hanging stuff on. What do you think?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Angled grab bars are generally not recommended these days, for safety reasons, although for sure those all-in-one surround kits often come with them, despite that.

• Jo
    5 years ago
    I just drape them over the side of the shower.
  • detailaddict
    2 years ago

Apparently I'm not the only (or first) person to ask this question...we just built a home with our first-ever tiled shower and we still need to order towel bars (We're just draping them over a wash stand in the meantime, which does the job but looks messy). I'm debating whether to include 12" bars to install in the showers themselves (master and guest), for drying wash cloths as I use them to wash my face, and guests may appreciate this too. I didn't realize there was such an "eww" factor with using wash cloths, but I don't use a fresh one each time because a) We hang our bath towels to dry between uses and a wash cloth is no different; b) Our laundry hamper is not plastic and I don't want to throw a wet cloth in a woven grass basket; c) I only do laundry once per week or so as it's just the two of us, so a wet cloth would sit in the basket for several days and we'd quickly run out, because; d) our wash cloths match our towels and we have only a limited number of these (and because "a" we have no reason to buy more). My only reason to change cloths between laundry loads would be if it becomes so saturated with soap that it's ineffective in rinsing my face.

Back to the actual towel bar...My main trepidation is putting holes in the tile, which may cause leaks even if it doesn't crack the tile. We have a partial wall outside the shower door that is most practical place to mount our bath towel bar, so we'll have to install the bars over tile regardless. I hadn't considered the silicone option, which may be viable for this as a small bar will be lightweight. I don't like plastic hooks or anything cheap or temporary-looking, and a dry cloth would just fall off the hook. Right now I just drape it over a ledge we had built in, but of course it doesn't dry as quickly and I'd rather have something tidier-looking.

• artemis78
    2 years ago

@detailaddict, what did you end up deciding to do? I'm going through this ancient thread since we are wrestling with the same dilemma of how to handle washcloths in a new shower (and it sounds like our use pattern is the same as yours!) We have not tiled yet, so looking mostly at ceramic towel rods or hooks that can be tiled in. We have a suction-cup hook in our existing bath that makes me crazy and I'd like to plan for something a little more resilient.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I put small Command hooks in my shower. They make some decent metal look ones now, or even clear ones. I also used them outside the shower for damp towels. They've held up well for over 10 years with no problems at all.

• detailaddict
    2 years ago

@artemis...We decided not to go with in-shower towel bars, for the reasons I mentioned above. We just didn't want to take the chance of water leaking behind the tile, or possibly having to have the shower re-tiled if tiles were broken during the installation. I did contact the manufacturer (Emtek) about the possibility of mounting with silicone, and they recommended against it, not surprisingly. So for now at least I'm still draping the cloth over the ledge, and it does seem to dry quickly enough not to get smelly or ooey. At some point I may come up with something better. But if you're still at a stage where you can incorporate tiles with hooks or a built-in towel bar, go for it. With all of the decisions that go into building a new home, this is just one of those little things we didn't think about in advance.