Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct way for tile with baseboard

Posted by janet400 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 20:19

We are just starting a bathroom remodel and I'm wondering what is the preferred method of tiling with a baseboard? Does the tile go under the baseboard or butt up to it? This is probably the first of many questions I seem to have, even after reading this forum for months now. Thanks in advance for the help. Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct way for tile with baseboard

Is this tiled wall with a wood baseboard? I had this a little whie ago, cue to certain reasons this is the way I did that one:

If the tile is 1/4" thick, I'll nail and glue (PL adhesive)a filler strip of 1/4" plywood right tn the wall where the baseboard will go.

I'll then tile right off the top edge of the filler strip, using the filler as my ledger board for the first course of tile.

Then the wood baseboard gets nailed off on the filler strip. It covers the strip completely so it looks like it's sitting on the tile.

Mongo

o

Thanks, Mongo, but this is just a tiled floor with plaster walls. It's the basics we don't know. Janet

o

A lot depends on the "look" you want to end up with. You can cut down the floor tiles and set them up as "baseboards," or you can use a traditional wood Mld. on top of the floor tiles. Your call..........

o

I think Janet's asking the question along the lines of "tile under or up to the vanity". If that's the case, lay all your tile first, then attach the baseboards to the wall so they cover up the edge of the tile. Way easier that way, as you don't have to worry about having perfectly matched tile cuts all along the wall.

o

I think Janet's asking the question along the lines of "tile under or up to the vanity". If that's the case, lay all your tile first, then attach the baseboards to the wall so they cover up the edge of the tile. Way easier that way, as you don't have to worry about having perfectly matched tile cuts all along the wall.

o

Either way is fine-- tile butting up to baseboards or going under. However, going under is preferrable, for a couple of reasons. First, it's a cleaner look. Cuts don't have to be as accurate, and once the baseboard goes on, it looks nice and sharp. Secondly, the joint between the tile and the wall can stay open, allowing plenty of play for expansion and contraction of the structure.

If you tile UP to the baseboard, you need to make sure your cuts are uniform. Otherwise, it'll look shabby. Also, the joint between the tile and baseboard MUST BE CAULKED. Otherwise, you risk the floor creating a phenomenon called "tenting". All it takes is 1/16" of movement from the perimeter with no give in that joint for expansion, and your floor can lliterally lift off the subfloor, peaking in the center by as much as 8". What's real fun is when it happens late at night-- it sounds like someone just shot a gun off.

TIME TO WAKE UP!! :-)

o

LOL Bill :) i can just imagine myself bolting upright in bed - hope it never happens to me :)

this is actually a good topic... i plan to do tile as baseboard (3x12 bullnose) on top of 12x12 tile floor. both are 5/16 thick. how much space should i leave under the baseboard between the wall (drywall) & the edge of the floor tile?

lisa

o

I TOTALLY misread your queastion.

I read it as tileing a wall with baseboard instead of tiling a floor.

Doh!

So....um....er....yup, what the other kids' wrote. I prefer to tile under the baseboard.

I have seen people tile 1/4" to 1/2" shy of the already installed baseboard then cover the transition with shoe molding. You need the right sized base to be able to get away with that, though, as you'll lose some of the baseboard's height by covering it with tile, and the addition of shoe molding can then make the base that you have look too squat.

Mongo

o

I am tiling master bath and used cut tile as my baseboard 6x12. I used the crosshatch style spacers layed flat on new tile to space the baseboards off the floor. It looks great. You just want enough room to hold grout for stability of tile. I have a question for Mongo, I tried not to put so much thinset on back of baseboard tiles to squeeze up from behind at the top edge, do I need to caulk that top edge after grouting? It has a slight open crack from tile to drywall. Thanks, Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here