Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet400_gw

Correct way for tile with baseboard

janet400
16 years ago

We are just starting a bathroom remodel and I'm wondering what is the preferred method of tiling with a baseboard? Does the tile go under the baseboard or butt up to it? This is probably the first of many questions I seem to have, even after reading this forum for months now. Thanks in advance for the help. Janet

Comments (9)

• janet400
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mongo, but this is just a tiled floor with plaster walls. It's the basics we don't know. Janet

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    16 years ago

A lot depends on the "look" you want to end up with. You can cut down the floor tiles and set them up as "baseboards," or you can use a traditional wood Mld. on top of the floor tiles. Your call..........

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

I think Janet's asking the question along the lines of "tile under or up to the vanity". If that's the case, lay all your tile first, then attach the baseboards to the wall so they cover up the edge of the tile. Way easier that way, as you don't have to worry about having perfectly matched tile cuts all along the wall.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

I think Janet's asking the question along the lines of "tile under or up to the vanity". If that's the case, lay all your tile first, then attach the baseboards to the wall so they cover up the edge of the tile. Way easier that way, as you don't have to worry about having perfectly matched tile cuts all along the wall.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Either way is fine-- tile butting up to baseboards or going under. However, going under is preferrable, for a couple of reasons. First, it's a cleaner look. Cuts don't have to be as accurate, and once the baseboard goes on, it looks nice and sharp. Secondly, the joint between the tile and the wall can stay open, allowing plenty of play for expansion and contraction of the structure.

If you tile UP to the baseboard, you need to make sure your cuts are uniform. Otherwise, it'll look shabby. Also, the joint between the tile and baseboard MUST BE CAULKED. Otherwise, you risk the floor creating a phenomenon called "tenting". All it takes is 1/16" of movement from the perimeter with no give in that joint for expansion, and your floor can lliterally lift off the subfloor, peaking in the center by as much as 8". What's real fun is when it happens late at night-- it sounds like someone just shot a gun off.

TIME TO WAKE UP!! :-)

• toadangel
    16 years ago

LOL Bill :) i can just imagine myself bolting upright in bed - hope it never happens to me :)

this is actually a good topic... i plan to do tile as baseboard (3x12 bullnose) on top of 12x12 tile floor. both are 5/16 thick. how much space should i leave under the baseboard between the wall (drywall) & the edge of the floor tile?

lisa

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

I TOTALLY misread your queastion.

I read it as tileing a wall with baseboard instead of tiling a floor.

Doh!

So....um....er....yup, what the other kids' wrote. I prefer to tile under the baseboard.

I have seen people tile 1/4" to 1/2" shy of the already installed baseboard then cover the transition with shoe molding. You need the right sized base to be able to get away with that, though, as you'll lose some of the baseboard's height by covering it with tile, and the addition of shoe molding can then make the base that you have look too squat.

Mongo

• kgemery_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I am tiling master bath and used cut tile as my baseboard 6x12. I used the crosshatch style spacers layed flat on new tile to space the baseboards off the floor. It looks great. You just want enough room to hold grout for stability of tile. I have a question for Mongo, I tried not to put so much thinset on back of baseboard tiles to squeeze up from behind at the top edge, do I need to caulk that top edge after grouting? It has a slight open crack from tile to drywall. Thanks, Karen

Sponsored
Vivancos Trim LLC
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Loudoun County's Artfully Crafted General Contractor