Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on Split finish door knobs and mixing finishes?

Posted by firsthome (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 20:19

Ok..I have a habit of being a bit of a matchy po po. I slowly have been trying to break the habit and realize everything doesn't need to match.

Which brings me to my first question. Did you install a split finish door knob for your bathroom? If so, did you install split finish door knobs anywhere else in the house or only bathrooms? And yes, I have done split finish in the past in bedrooms where I had different finishes than the hallway (example - bedroom with mirrored furniture had satin nickel and hallway had oil rubbed bronze).

Second question: Did you mix and match finishes in your bathroom? We are looking at possibly doing polished nickel fixtures but he door knob we were looking at is split finish (chrome inside bath and oil rubbed bronze outside).
First - debating if we should even do split finish door knobs for the bathroom...but also wondering if mixing chrome and polished nickel will look worse than oil rubbed bronze and nickel.

Our bathroom will be white cabinets and calacatta gold marble tile/vanity top.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on Split finish door knobs and mixing finishes?

I tend to do split finishes for the door knobs in bathrooms, because I also tend to do brass or ORB with the living finish (unlacquered) throughout the house, and chrome or nickel in the baths. I tend to do chrome or polished nickel hinges on the bath doors too. Since bathroom doors are left open this means you see the chrome hinges on the "wrong side" and the "outside" finish of the knob spends a lot of time "inside" the bathroom, but I think the nickel and chrome hold up a bit better in the bathroom. However, if I was doing a raw brass fitted bathroom I would let it weather however it was going to.

Polished chrome is a bit warmer than polished nickel but they don't tend to bother me when mixed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here