Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laticrete SpectraLock Pro premium grout never needs to be sealed?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 20:09

I went to buy Bostik TruColor grout, but was told that it was difficult to be applied to 1/16" spacing because it's sanded. The salesman suggested Laticrete SpectraLock pro premium, saying it's non-sanded, easy to apply, and never needs to be sealed.

I read online and saw the Laticrete color powder was mixed with sand instead of non-sanded said by the salesman. I did not see on the bucket that it never needs to be sealed. One video said it might scratch some tile surface.

May I apply the Laticrete spectralock pro grout premium to the 1/16" spacing of polished tiles purchased from Porcelanosa (salesman said I could) without scratching tile surface? Does it really never need to be sealed? Is it easy to apply? My contractor never used it before.

Any input or sharing of experience is GREATLY appreciated.

This post was edited by janesylvia on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 23:41

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laticrete SpectraLock Pro premium grout never needs to be sea

The sand is a very finely graded sand. It is high quality. Bill V. has used it on marble I believe without problems.

No need to seal the epoxy grout.

Is your tile crackled? I read on Phylhl's kitchen reveal a post by the tile manufacturer who posted on her site, that the crackle may need to be sealed to prevent stains from getting into the crackled areas. With stone, you seal first avoiding the grout spaces, then grout. It helps the grout release from the tile I believe. You might want to seal if your ceramic is crackled. I am just guessing that this would be done, so I would consult the Laticrete tech department. You don't want the sealer to get into the grout spaces.

On the laticrete site somewhere I thought I read that for 1/16" grout spaces you could leave a smidgen of the powder out to make a slightly wetter mix.

When I grouted my floor I did it myself. But when I grouted my walls I had my DH follow behind to cram the falling grout into the spaces as I missed them. We worked about 3 feet apart. First me trying to grout the walls with the float, then he followed picking up the pieces.

My bathroom project was the 2nd and 3rd grout jobs I have done, and I'm a girl ;)
... But I had help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here