Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frosted Window Film?

Posted by chays (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 20:06

We are 80% done with the remodel in our master bath. We have a large picture window over the tub and we put a small window in the potty room.

Do any of you have experience with the frosted glass window films?

Our bathroom is very "exposed" to the whole neighborhood and we had an opaque cell shade there pre-remodel. Now, I am thinking that I would rather "frost" the glass so that the light can still come in, but no one will see me running around naked in the bathroom!

The window has mullions between the panes of glass, so applying should be easy. I am also considering only "frosting" 3/4 of the window height and stopping at the top section leaving it clear for direct sunlight. Would that look dumb? I would give the potty window the same treatment.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frosted Window Film?

I used the Gila brand on our 24 x 36 bathroom window 4 years ago and I am very happy with it. You have to clean the window very well, I still ended up with tiny, tiny spots along the edge where you squeegee out the spray. I thought I would redo it later, but I don't even notice it anymore. If you were doing large pieces I would recommend 4 hands, but small panes might be easier. The window faces east and the sun is almost blinding in the morning. The frosted is not like the tinted or UV protection.

o

You could get the vinyl cling frosted stuff first to try it before you actually etch your glass. They come in textures as well as just standard frosted look.

o

Did you also replace the window? Many window manufacturers state their warranty is voided if you put window film on the window. Just something you might want to consider.

o

You might want to try out the frosting on a sample piece of glass instead of directly to your window first so you could get an idea of what it would look like.

o

We haven't gotten that far yet, but my designer recommended Solyx films to make the glass inserts in our doors translucent or opaque. Solyx has a lot of patterns and colors to choose from -- I'm still trying to decide which one to use.

Here is a link that might be useful: Solyx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here