Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me pick floor for 50's bathroom redo/ half modern

Posted by iloverpinkoses (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 12 at 20:06

Help! We are doing a mini-makeover on our 50's bathroom. Here are the colors:
Ice Gray 50's tile walls , with maroon subway trim on corners, bottoms and top.
Wall tile goes 1/2 up on wall.

Blue bathtub, and blue toilet. staying.

We got a beadboard front white cabinet, crema marfil marble top, white sink, and white medicne tri view mirror medicine cabinet, w/ coordinating lighting fixture.

For now we have floral wallpaper, like laura ashley, large blooms. Colors in that are baby blue (icy) background, red/geen cabbage roses w/ pinks. I think it looks cottagey and ties in all the colors in this bathroom. Not sure how long we'll keep. But I guess i don't mind it.

QUESTION: WHICH FLOOR color?? We think we want a Mosaic, like either octagon shape or something. We have a light gray 50's floor now (needs to be redone,scratched, grout, etc). We put a sample of blue on floor, it pops, looks clashy. Should we do a beige? White?

Would love to hear opinions. Going for cottagey look/seaside cottage/zen feel.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me pick floor for 50's bathroom redo/ half modern

Grey Text from Nemo Tile?
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Nemo Tile

o

Thanks for the pic. I don't know how to insert pics. I can't figure out photobucket.

It's cool, but actually a little similar to the lite-med gray floor we've lived w/ all these years. We think we won't like anything too busy on the floor though. :( Any other pics?? THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!

o

I found a thread on GW that has a picture of a white octagonal mosaic with burgundy accents, scroll down until you see the picture. I think you are going to need to incorporate some of the elements already in the bathroom, and the tile trim color seems the most logical to carry through to the floor either with an accent in burgundy, or if you could find a burgundy floor tile- tile the entire floor with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: octagonal tile with burgundy trim

o

You could do all white octagon and dot, or they have all white text, as well.

o

I'd go white octagon.
Renee

o

Thanks everyone! I checked out the burgundy tile. We think the tile guy said the other day that he could carefully remove all the red trim, and replace it, but not if I was keeping the wallpaper. I guess it would ruin it.

If we did that, what color could we replace it with? White? (tiles are light gray).
Taupe? So it looks like a sailcloth tile, beachy tan for the marble top, white cabinet, blue tub/toilet????? Beach theme???

o

How about crema marfil tiles on the floor to tie in your countertop?

o

I just started a thread "How to post photos". You will get more reponses if photos are directly in your posts.

hth

o

Smart idea! Crema Marfil ! We're going this weekend to look at tile, I will look for this. We can't have slippery surface though......suggestions????

Will check out photo post! Thx!

o

Grout helps give tile some grip and also if you get honed and not polished I think you should be okay. Here is a link to houzz.com showing rooms with crema marfil floors

Here is a link that might be useful: Crema Marfil floors

o

that's great! i love it! thanks!! i like it shiny though...........??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here