Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pacific_flights

Before and after photos from rookie tile setter

pacific_flights
13 years ago

Hi Everyone!

First off I would like to thank you all for helping me with this tiling project. I didn't post many questions, but found this forum to be a great research tool. In fact I would probably go as far as to say that I learned how to tile from reading this forum. Thanks Bill and Mongo :)

The remodel involved demo'ing the old shower (which leaked into the basement) and the strange cupboard above the closet, which really served no purpose other than to make the ceiling in the shower painfully low. It turned out that the tile was attached to drywall, which had completely rotted away. Demo was easy. Once the first hole was made in the tile, the rest came off in my hands. I also found a nail in a pipe. Hmmm, wonder who put that there.

After doing all of my research, the tiling part was pretty easy. The crown molding was another story. But with a little wood filler and paint it looks almost perfect.

Thought I would share a couple of before and after shots. It's hard to get good pictures of such a small bathroom. Thanks again!

Jenny

Comments (15)

• elle3
    13 years ago

Pat yourself on the back for a job well done! Tiling is not as easy as it might seem. Love your tile and color scheme. The crown came out great!

• Renée Soronen
    13 years ago

Wow, it's great! Good job!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Impressive! Nice-looking tile job!

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I can't believe you did that yourself and it's your first attempt at tiling. That is impressive! The colors are wonderful, too. What a tremendous improvement over the old bath!

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

That looks wonderful! Don't you have a great sense of accomplishment, too? :) Congrats!

• pricklypearcactus
    13 years ago

Looks fantastic!

• itltrot
    13 years ago

Looks great! Love your color scheme. Would you share your paint color?

• pacific_flights
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks for all of the nice feedback. It really does give me a wonderful sense of accomplishment, and a tangible one too. I have to admit that before I started I was pretty nervous about my tiling abilities. So much so that I re-roofed my garage and shop (with the help of a friend) as a way of putting off the tiling job. :)

The paint is Benjamin Moore Gray Wisp, it's a blue green gray that changes with the light, as you can see from my photos. It's one of my favorite colors in my house.

• Bethpen
    13 years ago

Great job!

Beth P.

• jssaustintx
    12 years ago

I'm currently stalking the site for tile grout info :). I know its been awhile but do you remember what brand and color of grout you used? Thanks!

• enduring
    12 years ago

Beautiful job. Can you list your tile, fixtures, paint, & etc that you used. I love the color of paint and I am interested in the fixtures used.

• Linda
    12 years ago

Very nice!

• pacific_flights
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad I stopped by the forum, I didn't know there were questions for me. I have another bathroom remodel in my future, so I'm sure I'll be back for lots of advice.

Here are more details as requested:

Paint Color: Benjamin Moore Gray Wisp. If you can't get Ben Moore, I noticed last week that Behr has a color "silver sage" that is a very close match. And just about the same as the RH Silver Sage...can they do that?

Grout Color: Laticrete Silver Shadow *Special order from Lowes. If you're painting a blue/green/gray color, I highly recommend this grout, it's gray with blue/green undertones.

Subway Tile: Lowes. I think Interceramic brand.
    Beaded accent tile, also from Lowes.

Shower Fixtures: American Standard Williamsburg tub filler and faucet handle.
    Kohler 30 polished chrome slide bar with Bancroft trim kit.
    Kohler Bancroft supply elbow
    Kohler Bancroft Hand Shower, polished chrome.

Not Pictured, I also installed the Restoration Hardware Vintage glass shelf in the shower, on the wall opposite the showerhead. I absolutely love it! I know the niches are also popular (may do that in my next bathroom), but I'm glad I went with the glass shelf in this shower, and it was very easy to install.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hopefully I'll be back on the forum with questions of my own when I finally get around to tackling my second bathroom remodel!

• hapahaole76
    11 years ago

It looks lovely! I'm doing a similar style bathroom and am using Kohler Bancroft fixtures. I want a hand held shower head as my main shower spout like you have, but I was worried that the Bancroft one might be too heavy or awkward. How do you like it? Does it seem sturdy? What about that sliding bar? I don't want my kids to knock it of and bang up the shower... This is for our kids' bathroom. I'm debating between a fixed speakman shower head (but would miss the ease of a handheld), this one you got or the Kohler flip (though the style doesn't really go with the rest of the bathroom).
    Thanks!

• zen4d
    11 years ago

That's amazing.