Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with tight master bath: 18 inch or 22 inch depth vanity??

Posted by verver (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 20:00

GW has been such a wealth of info for our reno- need some more help:
our master bath space is small..there is 52" from wall to shower where the vanity will be placed. plan is for a double sink 60" vanity, where they are almost all around 22" in depth. Think that's too tight between vanity and shower.
Came across Strasser vanities on GW, which come in 18" depth...but then we'd have to deal with fitting it w/ tiny undermount sinks, and deal w/ space for the faucets.
so for 22": pros- easy to source vanity that comes w/ sinks and countertop (overall cheaper, delivery quicker), easier to find and fit faucets, more storage, less stress. Cons-less space in bathroom.
for 18": pros- more space! cons: more expensive, have to find small sinks, get countertop made, faucets that fit, delayed installation (Strasser is about 3 weeks minimum for delivery), and more stress.
picture shows lines at 18" and 22" (can make them out if you look carelly).
what to do??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with tight master bath: 18 inch or 22 inch depth vanity?

here is another angle of the space allotted for the vanity.

o

A double vanity won't work in that space at all. You've got to have a minimum of 24'' in front of it. 36'' would be much more comfortable for real sized people. A child can't even occupy the space you show there between the shower and vanity space, and 3'' isn't going to change that and make it code compliant.

o

Doesn't 52" - 22" = 30"?

o

just to clarify: the lines marking 18" and 22" are really thin black lines i drew w/ a pen. not the blue tape.

o

Whatever one you choose, remember that the countertop will overhang another 1"- 1 1/2" or so. I'd go with the 22". It's an all around easier solution.

o

I would go with the 22" vanity and I assume it's 21" plus 1" for the countertop overhang. Just make sure that whoever uses the far end sink isn't claustrophobic. :-)

I like the tile, very pretty.

o

Your shower looks beautiful! I have added too many pictures, sorry ;) I love pictures though.

I would find an 18" setup. You could find or have one made. My installation in my first remodel is 18" and I put a sink that mounts on the top sort of like a farm house sink. I have seen variations of this elsewhere. I made my sink and had the vanity custom made. I needed the room between a toilet and the vanity. Very happy with the size.

Here is mine. I have a wall mounted faucet and really like it. I have access to the plumbing on the other side if I should ever need to get to it. As far as I'm concerned a wall mounted faucet is no different then a shower system. My sink is an 18" square:
 photo IMG_4064_zpsca6b5459.jpg

Here is a picture from Houzz and I think it might be an 18" deep vanity. But they put in wall mounted faucets which frees up the space for a sink. I think the faucets might be too high though in this picture, but I am not a bathroom designer and don't really know the specs for installation of that faucet. I could see me splashing all over the counter with the stream that high and my hands above the sink that far. Also the back edge of the counter will get wet, whereas if the backsplash went straight down into the sink, like mine, easy peasy to keep clean:

I think this is a narrow vanity:

The text with this picture states that the counter is 24" deep, but I show it to illustrate a lower faucet that I think is a better height.

Look-y here! a couple of soapstone sinks :) this vanity looks way too wide for you, but it looks too wide for them too LOL. I wouldn't want to reach over that huge front counter. I think the vessel sinks could be set back further too, closer to the wall, and the counter at 18". But it is all in the design to figure this out.

And last a Kohler Brockway sink it is 14" deep front to back. They are expensive.

This post was edited by enduring on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 14:14

o

Go with 22". 30 " is lots of room.

Addressing the tight fit of your hot and cold pipes on the far left, you can always position the sink a little bit further from the wall, and have your plumbing installed to fit. I would assume most pre-made vanities won't have the sink that far to each edge.

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 14:15

I vote for 22". More counter space works for me, especially with two sinks in a 60" vanity.
Beautiful tile!

-Babka

o

thanks for everyone's input. @enduring, love that vanity and sink, and the color!
If we thought things through better, would've planned for the wall mounted faucets, which work better w/ 18" vanity and sink. but now would have to redo plumbing and tiling to do so...
alas, we are still waffling...

o

Getting to that back sink will be a "shuffle". Without wall faucets, I don't think an 18" depth will allow for standard faucet installation, unless the sinks are quite small.

With 52" wall to shower, I would turn a single sink 48" x 21" vanity the other way. Make the countertop with a 2" overhang each side, instead of 1, making 52". (If you able to locate a 50"wide vanity, even better.)
With a 52" countertop, you need 6" on one side of the sink, 18" for the sink, leaving 28" of continual countertop.
52-6-18=28
With a 60" countertop, you need 6" on one side of each sink, 18" for each sink, leaving only 12" of continual countertop between the sinks.
60-6-6-18-18=12

This post was edited by canuckplayer on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 8:10

o

• Posted by crl_ z7 No. VA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 14:16

We have a custom vanity just under 18 inches with a regular faucet. Works great for us. We do have just one sink so there is extra counter space on each side. (Counter top is soapstone). The sink is plenty big for daily use in our master bedroom.

o

@ crl_z7, what size is that undermount sink? and how much room from edge of sink to outer edge of countertop? that looks good and looks like it'd work out for us...

o

Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 19:03

Sink is about 11 1/2 back to front and 17 1/2 side to side. I've got about 4 inches behind it (where the Hansgrohe faucet is) and about 3 inches in front of it (countertop over hangs the cabinet by about 1 inch and the 3 inches includes that 1 inch overhang).

My contractor found the sink for us, though I am pretty sure I also came across it in my internet searching before we hired him. He was willing to work with any specifics I gave him, but also willing to find stuff for me. I just wanted a sink that fit the custom vanity he was building so I let him find it.

It's been in daily use in our master bathroom for several months now and we have zero complaints. It is plenty big enough for us.

o

The vanity in our master is 18". It has worked fine for us. The sink is a Kohler provided by the fabricator. We had the 8" spread faucet installed to curve with the sink.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The door casing needed to be trimmed a bit to handle the length of the side splash. Considering what we had before, this was a huge improvement.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

thanks everyone for the pictures. so informative. our marble guy said he needs 3" in front of sink, and 4.5" in back. we don't need to leave room for a backsplash as we don't need it w/ the marble tiles on wall. so w/ 1" overhang=19" for countertop. 19"-7.5"=11.5". so does that mean we can fit a sink that is 11.5" front to back? and 4.5" in the back is enough room for standard 8" wide faucets? nhbaskets-nice idea with the faucet install w/ curve of sink.

o

Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 22:47

The link is my Hansgrohe faucet. It fits in 4 inches. My contractor said it was TIGHT, but he did it. It's tight to clean behind it, but I can do it and there are no problems using it at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe widespread bathroom faucet.

o

Another idea is that you could put a single levered handled faucet, offset from the back. My sister did this because she had to use even smaller vanity. I looked on Houzz and came up with a specific page full of examples. It is linked below.

example:

Or this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz pictures of offset faucets

This post was edited by enduring on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 23:02

o

I owe a huge apology! My PR has an 18"x30"vanity, with a topmount 18" x 12" sink. The faucet is butted against the b/s (it's not fun to clean). My MB and guest ensuite vanities are both 21"deep. So, perhaps 18" depth may work for you.
A thing I would like to mention, consider making it taller. Mine are 32" high, including top (don't know if that's standard or not). I'm only 5'2", but still I find the sink low.

o

# enduring, I like that faucet set to the side like that. Plus it has a longer, "slightly tilted" reach. Most spouts (mine) are directly over the drain and you're washing your hands against the back of the sink.

o

Duravit and ikea both have double sinks in relatively short 18" deep vanities, but you don't have much counter space at all, if that's a consideration.

o

Well, here's the update:
finally went with the Strasser 18 inch vanity.
we found sinks that fit without too much difficulty (nantucket undermount 16x11" interior dimension), and which we thought was plenty of room.
Our stone guy didn't have a problem with the cutting and faucet placement for the vanity top.
didn't have to offset the faucet placement or anything.
overall, it worked out well. and we are very happy for the extra room between the vanity and shower...think the usual 22" would be tight.
thanks to everyone for the input. and like those that have 18" vanities have said, it's plenty big, enough room, sinks are fine, etc. if you are short on space, definitely consider 18" depth vanity.

o

18" depth strasser- and yes, the contractors did have to move the piping for the left side.

This post was edited by verver on Tue, May 27, 14 at 22:03

o

shower with space in front

o

So Very Nice! thanks for the update. I love it all.

o

Nice! I like all of your choices.

o

It came out great. Do I see a piggy in the mirror or do I need to clean my glasses?

o

haha! indeed a piggy- picture taken right after they installed the vanity top- there was a lot of dust and one of the installers was an artist, i guess. not sure who/what is "green guy"

o

LOVE the bathroom. Vanity looks perfect sized and color is fabulous!

o

Just to add my two cents. We were dealing with a 24 x 18 vanity. I pulled my hair out for two weeks looking for a solution. The internal dimensions of the vanity were the biggest problem. We did not want a vessel sink so I finally went with Swanstone, not my favorite, but I ran out of energy!
Good luck. These people have some great solutions.

o

That looks great! Glad you are happy with the 18 inch depth. Dh and I have often commented on how big our very small bath feels and I think the 18 inch depth vanity plays a big role in that (as well as allowing us to meet code!).

o

Nice result! Thanks for updating-- I wish everyone would do that.

o

Yes, thanks for the update! Your bathroom looks gorgeous. What is your countertop made of? Is it a granite or marble or quartzite or...?

o

That turned out great! What are the dimensions of your shower?

o

Thanks everyone. Not sure how we would've done the house reno without GW.
@ jrueter- vanity top is bardiglio- stone guy said it was quartzite, but don't think that's right- only heard of bardiglio marble. Anyone shed some light on this? Regardless, we love the look of it and are treating it like marble in its care.
@writersblock- shower measures 31x48"- the glass enclosure. Thought it would feel tight, but I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious it felt in it.

o

There is a series of great threads on the Kitchen forum about your stone topic, quartzite vs marble... which is it? They are very informative. @karin_mt is the expert that started them and is so very helpful.

The link below is to her last thread but she links everyone from the beginning on her first post here.

Enjoy the read :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Countertop Geology, Part 5: Marble, Quartzite...

o

Thanks, verver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here