Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verver_gw

Help with tight master bath: 18 inch or 22 inch depth vanity??

verver
10 years ago

GW has been such a wealth of info for our reno- need some more help:
our master bath space is small..there is 52" from wall to shower where the vanity will be placed. plan is for a double sink 60" vanity, where they are almost all around 22" in depth. Think that's too tight between vanity and shower.
Came across Strasser vanities on GW, which come in 18" depth...but then we'd have to deal with fitting it w/ tiny undermount sinks, and deal w/ space for the faucets.
so for 22": pros- easy to source vanity that comes w/ sinks and countertop (overall cheaper, delivery quicker), easier to find and fit faucets, more storage, less stress. Cons-less space in bathroom.
for 18": pros- more space! cons: more expensive, have to find small sinks, get countertop made, faucets that fit, delayed installation (Strasser is about 3 weeks minimum for delivery), and more stress.
picture shows lines at 18" and 22" (can make them out if you look carelly).
what to do??

Comments (47)

• verver
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

here is another angle of the space allotted for the vanity.

• User
    10 years ago

A double vanity won't work in that space at all. You've got to have a minimum of 24'' in front of it. 36'' would be much more comfortable for real sized people. A child can't even occupy the space you show there between the shower and vanity space, and 3'' isn't going to change that and make it code compliant.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Doesn't 52" - 22" = 30"?

• verver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

just to clarify: the lines marking 18" and 22" are really thin black lines i drew w/ a pen. not the blue tape.

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

Whatever one you choose, remember that the countertop will overhang another 1"- 1 1/2" or so. I'd go with the 22". It's an all around easier solution.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

I would go with the 22" vanity and I assume it's 21" plus 1" for the countertop overhang. Just make sure that whoever uses the far end sink isn't claustrophobic. :-)

I like the tile, very pretty.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Your shower looks beautiful! I have added too many pictures, sorry ;) I love pictures though.

I would find an 18" setup. You could find or have one made. My installation in my first remodel is 18" and I put a sink that mounts on the top sort of like a farm house sink. I have seen variations of this elsewhere. I made my sink and had the vanity custom made. I needed the room between a toilet and the vanity. Very happy with the size.

Here is mine. I have a wall mounted faucet and really like it. I have access to the plumbing on the other side if I should ever need to get to it. As far as I'm concerned a wall mounted faucet is no different then a shower system. My sink is an 18" square:

Here is a picture from Houzz and I think it might be an 18" deep vanity. But they put in wall mounted faucets which frees up the space for a sink. I think the faucets might be too high though in this picture, but I am not a bathroom designer and don't really know the specs for installation of that faucet. I could see me splashing all over the counter with the stream that high and my hands above the sink that far. Also the back edge of the counter will get wet, whereas if the backsplash went straight down into the sink, like mine, easy peasy to keep clean:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/21st-century-bungalow-traditional-bathroom-new-york-phvw-vp~412993)

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by New York Interior Designers & Decorators Shane D. Inman

I think this is a narrow vanity:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/master-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-atlanta-phvw-vp~619293)

[Modern Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2105) by Decatur Kitchen & Bath Designers Renewal Design-Build

The text with this picture states that the counter is 24" deep, but I show it to illustrate a lower faucet that I think is a better height.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/healdsburg-residence-farmhouse-bathroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1943037)

[Farmhouse Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2114) by San Francisco Architects & Designers Nick Noyes Architecture

Look-y here! a couple of soapstone sinks :) this vanity looks way too wide for you, but it looks too wide for them too LOL. I wouldn't want to reach over that huge front counter. I think the vessel sinks could be set back further too, closer to the wall, and the counter at 18". But it is all in the design to figure this out.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/200-year-old-farm-home-in-carlisle-pa-farmhouse-bathroom-phvw-vp~2498693)

[Farmhouse Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/farmhouse-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2114) by Middletown Tile, Stone & Countertops Lesher Natural Stone, Quartz, & Tile
    And last a Kohler Brockway sink it is 14" deep front to back. They are expensive.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/historic-two-story-home-transitional-bathroom-denver-phvw-vp~7453111)

[Transitional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2112) by Fort Collins Design-Build Firms HighCraft Builders

This post was edited by enduring on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 14:14

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Go with 22". 30 " is lots of room.

Addressing the tight fit of your hot and cold pipes on the far left, you can always position the sink a little bit further from the wall, and have your plumbing installed to fit. I would assume most pre-made vanities won't have the sink that far to each edge.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

I vote for 22". More counter space works for me, especially with two sinks in a 60" vanity.
    Beautiful tile!

-Babka

• verver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for everyone's input. @enduring, love that vanity and sink, and the color!
    If we thought things through better, would've planned for the wall mounted faucets, which work better w/ 18" vanity and sink. but now would have to redo plumbing and tiling to do so...
    alas, we are still waffling...

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Getting to that back sink will be a "shuffle". Without wall faucets, I don't think an 18" depth will allow for standard faucet installation, unless the sinks are quite small.

With 52" wall to shower, I would turn a single sink 48" x 21" vanity the other way. Make the countertop with a 2" overhang each side, instead of 1, making 52". (If you able to locate a 50"wide vanity, even better.)
    With a 52" countertop, you need 6" on one side of the sink, 18" for the sink, leaving 28" of continual countertop.
    52-6-18=28
    With a 60" countertop, you need 6" on one side of each sink, 18" for each sink, leaving only 12" of continual countertop between the sinks.
    60-6-6-18-18=12

This post was edited by canuckplayer on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 8:10

• crl_
    10 years ago

We have a custom vanity just under 18 inches with a regular faucet. Works great for us. We do have just one sink so there is extra counter space on each side. (Counter top is soapstone). The sink is plenty big for daily use in our master bedroom.

• verver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ crl_z7, what size is that undermount sink? and how much room from edge of sink to outer edge of countertop? that looks good and looks like it'd work out for us...

• crl_
    10 years ago

Sink is about 11 1/2 back to front and 17 1/2 side to side. I've got about 4 inches behind it (where the Hansgrohe faucet is) and about 3 inches in front of it (countertop over hangs the cabinet by about 1 inch and the 3 inches includes that 1 inch overhang).

My contractor found the sink for us, though I am pretty sure I also came across it in my internet searching before we hired him. He was willing to work with any specifics I gave him, but also willing to find stuff for me. I just wanted a sink that fit the custom vanity he was building so I let him find it.

It's been in daily use in our master bathroom for several months now and we have zero complaints. It is plenty big enough for us.

• nhbaskets
    10 years ago

The vanity in our master is 18". It has worked fine for us. The sink is a Kohler provided by the fabricator. We had the 8" spread faucet installed to curve with the sink.

The door casing needed to be trimmed a bit to handle the length of the side splash. Considering what we had before, this was a huge improvement.

• verver
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone for the pictures. so informative. our marble guy said he needs 3" in front of sink, and 4.5" in back. we don't need to leave room for a backsplash as we don't need it w/ the marble tiles on wall. so w/ 1" overhang=19" for countertop. 19"-7.5"=11.5". so does that mean we can fit a sink that is 11.5" front to back? and 4.5" in the back is enough room for standard 8" wide faucets? nhbaskets-nice idea with the faucet install w/ curve of sink.

• crl_
    10 years ago

The link is my Hansgrohe faucet. It fits in 4 inches. My contractor said it was TIGHT, but he did it. It's tight to clean behind it, but I can do it and there are no problems using it at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hansgrohe widespread bathroom faucet.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Another idea is that you could put a single levered handled faucet, offset from the back. My sister did this because she had to use even smaller vanity. I looked on Houzz and came up with a specific page full of examples. It is linked below.

example:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/newport-beach-residence-modern-powder-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~803304)

[Modern Powder Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-powder-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_713~s_2105) by Los Angeles Architects & Designers Paul Davis Architects

Or this one:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bathrooms-modern-bathroom-los-angeles-phvw-vp~63346)

[Modern Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2105) by West Hollywood Furniture & Accessories SEE MATERIALS INC.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz pictures of offset faucets[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/offset-faucet-phbr0lbl-bl~l_80976)

This post was edited by enduring on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 23:02

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I owe a huge apology! My PR has an 18"x30"vanity, with a topmount 18" x 12" sink. The faucet is butted against the b/s (it's not fun to clean). My MB and guest ensuite vanities are both 21"deep. So, perhaps 18" depth may work for you.
    A thing I would like to mention, consider making it taller. Mine are 32" high, including top (don't know if that's standard or not). I'm only 5'2", but still I find the sink low.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

# enduring, I like that faucet set to the side like that. Plus it has a longer, "slightly tilted" reach. Most spouts (mine) are directly over the drain and you're washing your hands against the back of the sink.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Duravit and ikea both have double sinks in relatively short 18" deep vanities, but you don't have much counter space at all, if that's a consideration.

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

18" depth strasser- and yes, the contractors did have to move the piping for the left side.

This post was edited by verver on Tue, May 27, 14 at 22:03

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

shower with space in front

• enduring
    9 years ago

So Very Nice! thanks for the update. I love it all.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

Nice! I like all of your choices.

• lotteryticket
    9 years ago

It came out great. Do I see a piggy in the mirror or do I need to clean my glasses?

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

haha! indeed a piggy- picture taken right after they installed the vanity top- there was a lot of dust and one of the installers was an artist, i guess. not sure who/what is "green guy"

• itltrot
    9 years ago

LOVE the bathroom. Vanity looks perfect sized and color is fabulous!

• mimimama
    9 years ago

Just to add my two cents. We were dealing with a 24 x 18 vanity. I pulled my hair out for two weeks looking for a solution. The internal dimensions of the vanity were the biggest problem. We did not want a vessel sink so I finally went with Swanstone, not my favorite, but I ran out of energy!
    Good luck. These people have some great solutions.

• crl_
    9 years ago

That looks great! Glad you are happy with the 18 inch depth. Dh and I have often commented on how big our very small bath feels and I think the 18 inch depth vanity plays a big role in that (as well as allowing us to meet code!).

• LE
    9 years ago

Nice result! Thanks for updating-- I wish everyone would do that.

• jrueter
    9 years ago

Yes, thanks for the update! Your bathroom looks gorgeous. What is your countertop made of? Is it a granite or marble or quartzite or...?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

That turned out great! What are the dimensions of your shower?

• verver
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. Not sure how we would've done the house reno without GW.
    @ jrueter- vanity top is bardiglio- stone guy said it was quartzite, but don't think that's right- only heard of bardiglio marble. Anyone shed some light on this? Regardless, we love the look of it and are treating it like marble in its care.
    @writersblock- shower measures 31x48"- the glass enclosure. Thought it would feel tight, but I was pleasantly surprised at how spacious it felt in it.

• enduring
    9 years ago

There is a series of great threads on the Kitchen forum about your stone topic, quartzite vs marble... which is it? They are very informative. @karin_mt is the expert that started them and is so very helpful.

The link below is to her last thread but she links everyone from the beginning on her first post here.

Enjoy the read :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Countertop Geology, Part 5: Marble, Quartzite...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Thanks, verver.

• SurfNC
    9 years ago

Verver, I have scoured the internet looking for a Strasser 18" vanity like yours, but have not had any luck finding the model with the bottom shelf. Would you mind telling me where you found yours?

PS. I love everything about your bathroom. Great job!

• enduring
    9 years ago

Try this link below. It was under the "inset style" in the portfolio section.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strasser Woodenworks

• kelsposito
    9 years ago

Verver! This is SO inspiring for my own tiny master bathroom where I've been searching high and low for a non-crummy 18" vanity. Thank you for posting!

• lkplatow
    9 years ago

I wanted to say that I love everything, but especially your faucets. Do you have a resources list posted somewhere? If not, would you mind sharing the faucet info?

• PRO
    Strasser Woodenworks
    8 years ago

We're so glad that everything worked out for you @verver, and appreciate you for considering Strasser for your bathroom design. If you ever have any questions or concerns about the vanity please feel free to contact us. The bathroom looks absolutely amazing!

• Cali Suit
    7 years ago

Where can you find this vanity? I'm dealing with the same problem, and struggling to make 3ft in between our vanity and tub!

• enduring
    7 years ago

Cali Suit, you can have a local cabinet maker, make one for you. I have used local and they were terrific.

• Cali Suit
    7 years ago

@enduring thanks for your reply! can you tell me which brand sink and faucet you went with and dimensions? We will probably do a drop in sink! And I'm wondering if I could get a single sink with 40in-42in cabinet?

• enduring
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a custom made vanity with my diy soapstone sink.

• Shana Green
    last year

How wide is the space between the vanity and the curb?