Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Wall color to go with gray tile

Bunny
15 years ago

I'm getting my entire house interior painted. The living spaces are going to be beige with white trim. Boring for some, but exciting for me who's lived in a boring KM Frost home for 10 years.

My guest bath is nice and light, with a south-facing window. The tub tiles are plain gray (elephant gray?) ceramic, in very good condition. They're not going anywhere, nor is my golden oak (ugh) vanity. The floor is also tile, a light beige/gray mix.

I'm wondering what will go with the gray tile. I really want a sage, but I'm not so sure it works with gray, but it works with the oak. Or, a warm gray?

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Comments (7)

• mooie
    15 years ago

I'm in the process of a bathroom remodel using blue/gray tiles and I used Twilight Gray from HD. They work beautiful together. If I were going green which I am just outside in the hallway, I chose a color from Lowes called Coastal Jetty which is a great gray green! It was my hope that they would all flow together and they are!

Teresa

• Bunny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the input. I wasn't so sure the green and gray worked together. I'm using Kelly Moore Cypress in my bedroom and I think it has more of a beige than gray tint to it. I must say that gray is one of the few colors that looks good next to the golden oak. Will check out your suggestions.

One other thing...in another forum people were railing against green in a bathroom, said it makes you look sick or like a monster. :) I have a very large board I painted half beige, half a soft sage (bedroom color). I took it into my bathroom and held it under my chin and facing the lights so that it was reflecting back onto my face. The only difference I could discern between the beige and green was that the beige was ever so slightly more reflective. Unless I'm just used to my monster coloring. ;-)

Linelle

• Bunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OP here. Just wanted to say that I went with SW Antique White (creamy ivory, hint of yellow in certain light) in my bathroom. White trim. It looks perfect next to the gray tile. Actually it matches a bar of soap that was my original inspiration piece.

• blondelle
    14 years ago

If it were mine I wouldn't put green in there with beige and gray. I would choose a beige that's a similar tone to the beige in your floor and works with the gray tile, probably a lighter, creamier tone, and that goes with your vanity. If you want some green bring in some plants and/or use matted botanical prints, with frames that compliment the warm wood tones of the vanity.

• User
    14 years ago

Gray is a neutral and actually looks great with most colors including yellow which will also look good with oak cabinets and beige's too. I have oak cabinets in my kitchen and used Ralph Lauren's Golden Finch. It's a happy sunflowery golden yellow that brightens up the room and looks really good. If you use a lighter warm based yellow, you can't go wrong. By the "ugh" though, I'm gathering you're not too thrilled about having that oak cabinet to begin with, have you considered painting it? It's not hard to do and can make a world of difference. Then if you have gray tiles and a white cabinet (both neutrals) you can use any color you want, green, blue, yellow, red, they will all look fabulous.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've considered painting my vanity. Actually maybe test the smaller one in my bathroom and see how it goes. I'm not real crazy about blues and greens with this color gray, but the creamy ivory looks great. Even the oak looks better now. :)