Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrslimestone_gw

Finished Marble Parlor Bathroom

mrslimestone
16 years ago

Im back to share another finished room. Hard to believe Im close to being done with my reno.

Anyway - here it is. The photos are a bit off (not sure what Im doing wrong when taking them) but the photos make the room look much darker and greener than it really is. In person, its a lot more serene of a scheme.

It has three bulbs (two at the mirror and one on the ceiling) and its really bright. The carrera marble is a blueish grey and the wall is a greenish grey.

Specs for those interested

-Carrera hex, subway tile, victorian rail and base

-Kohler Memoirs Toilet

-Porcher Pedestal sink & faucet

-Pottery Barn Mirror, Sconces, Shelf, TP holder, towel bar

-Colors : BM Gray Owl on wall, polished nickel finish on fixtures

-Clawfoot tub is original from my house (resprayed interior, painted with aluminum paint on exterior)

Thanks again for all the help and inspriration the regulars on this board have provided. This site was such a helpful resource throughout my reno, I really don't know how anyone renovates WITHOUT it.

PS: Yes I know the door swings the wrong way. Big oversight on my part but oh well.

Comments (37)

• plants4
    16 years ago

I swear you post your rooms just to make us slobber!

But, on the serious side, is there a reason you didn't choose the Porcher toilet? I'm interested in the toilet that matches that sink and I can't find anybody with any information about it.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I swear, Im only posting b/c I love using the photos other people post as inspiration. It seemed only fair to share now that I have about 100 other GW photos saved on my pc :)

No reason I didn't use the porcher toilet. I was originally going to get the Kohler Bancroft pedestal and toilet for this bathroom but I saw the Porcher sink and went with that instead. All of the toilets in my house were either Toto or Kohler so it just worked out that this bathroom got a Kohler.

Everything was white so I didn't worry too much about matching. And now they are sitting next to each other, you'd never know they weren't from the same company. The color is the same as far as I can see.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Very very nice. Especially the marble base! I've only seen it once before, and that was at Coverings! (our annual convention)

• plants4
    16 years ago

It's funny because I have a Memoirs sink (7 years and still not installed...) but I wanted the Porcher toilet. I love the Porcher sink too. I didn't know about Porcher until I toured a huge remodeled house and they had Porcher throughout.

I find both your kitchen and your bath an inspiration, without a doubt! Thank you for posting.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Just out of curiosity, who's the manufacturer for the hex?

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks fern.

Bill - The marble is cut by the local tile shop I purchased it from. No name brand. (http://www.classictileny.com/)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

They cut and mounted the hex tile?????

That said, I just checked out their site, and one of the pictures that flashed by on the showroom page, there's a guy leaning over what looks like a pallet of brick, almost like he's in front of a wet saw. I may know him!! If it's who I think it is, I've even given his name out in here a couple of times!! I know he lives in Brooklyn, and wherever this guy goes, he's going to be one of the top names in the trade (I trained him-- but I can't take all the credit-- this guy was a natural), and that sure's hell looks like him!

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They don't do installation so I maybe the guy you saw was a random photo? Or maybe they work closely with your friend? They didn't do my installation so Im not sure.

Im not sure (its not like I watched them do it)but the tile came in plain boxes without any branding at all. So I assumed from that and the way they are set up, they did it.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

ANOTHER TRIUMPH!!! I am drooling with Fern4.

Question about the faucet. I know you listed Restoration Hardware as the vendor for the faucets in your "Glamour" bath. Is this from RH also? Their faucets look so lovely. I would like one for a guest bath remodel. However my DH thinks that they look low to the sink. Meaning that the end of the spout where the water exits is really close to the rim of the sink bowl.

I know this sounds kooky but have you noticed this and is it a problem for function?

• alexamd
    16 years ago

Lovely...perfect fit for your beautiful house. More drooling over here.

• trudymom
    16 years ago

Magazine quality. Thank you for sharing!!

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

Another gorgeous one.

Per the op, the faucet is also porcher, not RH.

• thetews
    16 years ago

That a really gorgeous bathroom. I love the tile, and the tub is a great choice for the space.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Too bad johnmari isn't around any more. She would certainly appreciate this!!

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks all. Now I just need something on the walls to finish it off. Any suggestions?

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

vwhippiechick: As kgwlisa mentioned, this faucet is by porcher, not RH. But I don't find I have an issue with my RH faucets in my master bathroom.

• vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Mrslimestone So sorry! Don't know how I missed the faucet ID in your OP. Thanks for the info. I have posted a thread about selecting a faucet for our guest bath remodel. Help me out, would ya, with that phenomenal sense of style you have going!!

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Boy, you're cranking out the remodels lately. Are the rooms all really converging on the finish line at once, or did you just save them all up? Thanks for sharing!

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We've been working on a gut renovation for the past 6 months so everything got finished at once. I still have another bathroom to show but it has the least wow factor so I don't think I'll post in on here. Its very basic.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Oh come on, you can't tease us like that. Now that you've revealed its existence you have to post pics. :-)

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

My bathroom has very little wow factor compared to yours (very basic materials) but I will be showing it anyway if it ever gets done. You should too ;).

• spudderbud
    16 years ago

Another success!! I love this bath just as much as the "glamour" bath, both are timeless. I noticed in the reflection of the door in the mirror that you have a porcelain knob on the bath side of the door. I'm earning to use the Emtek white porcelain knobs somewhere in my house..question..it appears that you used BM Bone White rather than Super White here is that correct? How does the white look against the bone?

I'm also wondering where will you store your bath linens in this bath? Is there a closet nearby that you'll be using?

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Im happy to show off the other bathroom if anyone wants to see it but its not quite the same transformation. I'll post as soon as I put the shower curtain up :)

Spudder - long story but the door had to be turned around b/c of a mix up with the door knob placement and therefore it has the bone on the inside. (Its still not right and still has to be patched) I originally wanted white but I actually like how the bone looks b/c the door is old and it works. There isn't any white paint near it so it doesn't look weird. The porcelain knob I have is original, not a new one but I may have to get a new one b/c of all the issues. Thanks for the tip - Ill check out emtek.

I have a towel bar on the back of the door. I won't be storing any other linens in here. Two towels is plenty for us.

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is my other bathroom. Not quite as exciting of a change but Im happy with how it turned out.

Before

After:

Toilet: Toto Promenade
    Tub: Kohler Cast Iron
    Sink: Original to the house
    Faucet: Kohler Pillar Taps Brushed Nickel
    Shower: Price Pfister Mariel Brushed Nickel
    Wall Tile: Stock subway tile - I believe its Florida tile but I don't know..it was the cheapest subway tile available
    Wall Trim: Matching Victorian Cap
    Floor Tile: Unglazed ceramic black and white hex
    Medicine Cabinet, Shelf, Towel Bar, Toilet Paper Holder, Light: From Lowes
    Shower Curtain, Rod and Rings: Target
    Wall Paint: BM Beach Glass, Semi Gloss

Thanks again to everyone for the help!

• alexamd
    16 years ago

Still beautiful. I just love pictures of your house.

• fivefootzero
    16 years ago

I have to laugh at your electric frying pan. A Sunbeam correct? My mom had one of those for years...and still uses it. I'm in my 40's now...so you and I both know how old it is.

And lovely bathrooms by the way!

• ladycfp
    16 years ago

WOW! Seeing the clawfoot tub in it's original state really makes me think about painting mine. I bought a brand new one from VintageTubs but it is all white, including the feet, and I would love to have the feet in the same finish as my other fixtures, oil rubbed bronze (I know, tough to match.) Anyone have any into how I might go about that? Hate to start a new thread, but I might have to!

Oh, and LOVELY room! Both of them!

• mommielady
    16 years ago

I didn't object to the way your door opens into the first bathroom, how could it have been improved? It IS a bathroom, after all.

The frying pan brings back memories to me as well. :) Might I ask why it was in the bathroom? :)

Both baths have a lovely, serene feeling. What is the name of your master post? I may have seen it. And your kitchen post?

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!

The door situation could have been improved by putting the door in front of the toilet so when it swung open, it would swing into dead space. Ill admit Im a bit peeved that the architect didn't catch that since he is the one who got us to move the door in the first place (It had to be moved no matter what but he thought it was immodest to have the door in front of the toilet. I would have prefered that to it banging into my tub!!)

If my tub was new, I wouldn't have painted it. It was already painted very badly so the silver paint was a quick fix. I think black might have been another option. Not sure how you could get your whole tub to be ORB but I imagine the feet could probably be dipped at a metal shop. Not sure but no harm in asking.

I didn't know that it was an electric frying pan. Good to know. It was so disguisting, it was one of the first things that went in the garbage. And I have no clue why it was in there - the rest of the house was pretty much cleaned out of the former owners personal possessions!

Here is my kitchen post:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0200461530264.html
    And master bath:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0218220810259.html

• eastgate
    16 years ago

Mrslimestone, could you tell us the dimensions of the 2 bathrooms? I want to divide one bathroom in my house into two 5 x 7 bathrooms, but don't know if the space would accomodate a tub, sink, toilet, and person comfortably.

So you've re-done 3 bathrooms so far?

• jejvtr
    16 years ago

Lovely bathrooms, nicely appointed, justice to that lovely old home your are renovating - what yr is the home?

Love penny rounds & hex - looks like 2nd bath need new subfloor too w/all the cracked hex - were the joists ok under that floor?

Is the subway in 2nd bath orig tile, totally flat? too bad that could not be salvaged - LOVE that you kept that orig sink -

the old girl (house) just needed a face lift - after all she has been giving for how many yrs - time someone gave back to her - she'll have plenty more to give now -

Can't wait to see more pics -

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Eastgate - Both bathrooms are 5 feet deep. The ceramic tiled bathroom is just over 7 feet wide. It works but I wouldn't necessarily suggest the size if you weren't confined by it already. I didn't want to have to give up bedroom space to make it bigger so it stayed. The small sink that we kept helped us keep everything in scale. Even a small vanity or pedestal sink would have taken up too much room. The marble bathroom is 5x9 if I remember correctly. Its a lot more spacious. Two feet really makes a difference.

jejvtr - The house was built around between 1905-1910 - we're not sure since we don't have any original records. The beams were all okay but the cement under the tiles in all the bathrooms had to be redone. The subway tile we used is just basic cheapo subway tile - not the authentic reproduction totally flat type. Thats the one I wanted but at 15x the price, I simply couldn't bring myself to spend so much money on it. Now thats its all installed, Im glad I didn't and put my money into other things. We took the original tile from this bathroom and salvaged what we could for our kitchen backsplash. One of those details no one but us would know but its nice to know the tiles that were in the bathroom that could be saved got reused elsewhere.

We actually did 5 bathrooms but one is in the downstairs rental and one is a half bath in the basement. Both nothing to write home about stylistically. These three are in my home so those are the ones I spent the time on.

Thanks!

• vintagy
    15 years ago

WONDERFUL design! Just love it. May I ask what brand is your clawfot tub faucet and where you found it?

Thanks!

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Vintagy - Sorry for the delay in responding. My clawfoot was original to my house. No clue what brand it is but its over a hundred years old.

• tigernyc
    15 years ago

Looks very nice! Tile is awesome.

Just curious why you did not opt for inset medicine cab (nice to have storage) or the full shower converter (so you can have a stand up shower)?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

WHat gorgeous rooms! You did such a great job of retaining the character, and yet still making it new. I'd love to see the rest of the house :)

• mrslimestone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi tiger - this bathroom is on the main floor and is mostly used for quick potty breaks or visiting guests, so I didn't need a shower. I think it may come in handy should we ever have kids and/or a dog..but there is no need for showers in here so we didn't bother converting. It looks and feels a lot more open without having a big curtain either. For the same reasons I don't really need a medicine cabinet with storage. More importantly, the wall with the mirror is a party wall and a medicine cabinet can't be fully recessed in there. I didn't want something sticking halfway out so used a wall mounted.

Thanks Igloo...I have photos of various other rooms on my blog and flickr account. Of course its mostly a work in progress in terms of furnishing and decorating.