Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudialina10

basketweave marble flooring

claudialina10
14 years ago

I just installed a thassos marble basketweave floor tile in my bathroom. It came with empty dots and we inserted ming green marble 5/8 x 5/8 tiles. All of it is tumbled with no shine.

Now that it is all in and grouted, I'm not loving the floor. The green "dots" are very inconsistent in color and doesn't give the image I was hoping for.

I'd like to put a picture of the floor on here, but not sure how to post a photo.

Has anyone had a similar experience as this with installing natural stones?

Comments (9)

• jolynna
    14 years ago

Hi I just started a thread about basket weave marble tile because I am worried about the way my basket weave tile is looking.I posted pictures. Maybe you are having the same problem I am? I am hoping whatever the tiler put on my floor today is going to dry and look better.

• jolynna
    14 years ago

My tile just got grouted today and the color is drastically different. The marble part is chalky and white and the dots have gone from gray to black and they look painted.

Was your tile grouted with epoxy grout? I just found an article that says that porous stone (like unpolished marble) will discolor if it isn't sealed BEFORE being grouted with epoxy grout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

• claudialina10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, my contractor just came over. Turns out the white marble (thassos) is completely stained by the mud that was tracked in while the guys were working. We are both surprised that mud would stain the tiles so much. Does anyone know anything about this? We didn't pre seal the tiles b/c it would have affected the grout from sticking (since they are small tiles).

I also noticed, now that the tiles are in, that many of the white tiles are not consistent and there is quite a bit of gray. I purposely didn't buy carerra marble to get a more consistent white look. Are you all familiar with this? Could Thassos White have inconsistency from a more pure white all the way to gray?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

We are both surprised that mud would stain the tiles so much. Does anyone know anything about this?

That's the first I'm hearing of thassos staining like that, as well. If you go to John Bridge's sealing and restoration forum (link below) ask about a poultice for pulling that particular stain out. I specify that particular stain because there are different poultices for different stains.

Could Thassos White have inconsistency from a more pure white all the way to gray?

Along these lines, thassos is very much like pine. You can get clear (bright white with no veining), but it's a premium stone that's going to cost alot more. Standard thassos DOES have some (albeit very little) soft grey and orange veining to it. I once had a customer who had me cull through almost 1000 feet of thassos 12x12 to get 200 feet of perfectly clear stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: JB' Sealing and Restoration Forum

• claudialina10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bill, you are good! My contractor is thinking about cutting out the 8 or so white pieces and replacing them. Since he'll be cutting, I'm also thinking of asking him to replace some of the ming green 5/8 x 5/8 tiles and replace the ones that are lighter/yellower in color with pieces that are more green. Do you think this would work?

Also, should he have sealed the tiles before he installed and grouted? He said he didn't because it would have impacted the adhesiveness of the grout. Along those lines, what marble sealer should I use on the tiles after they are all re-installed? I don't want to use a sealer that will make my tumbled marble look polished/shiny.

Finally, can someone advise on how to you post pictures on here? I would love to post a picture of what has been installed. THANKS!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

thinking of asking him to replace some of the ming green 5/8 x 5/8 tiles and replace the ones that are lighter/yellower in color with pieces that are more green. Do you think this would work?

It might, if he's choosy about the pieces he uses to replace with.

Also, should he have sealed the tiles before he installed and grouted? He said he didn't because it would have impacted the adhesiveness of the grout.

I don't know about it impacting the adhesion of the grout-- I've seen grout stuck to the face of sealed stone before, and it was STILL a nightmare to get off! I DO, however, agree that I'd rather grout unsealed stone. I can't explain it exactly, but it grouts differently. it's a personal thing with installers. Some would rather seal first, others would rather grout first. For those DIYing, who aren't used to grouting stone, I would strongly recommend sealing first.

Along those lines, what marble sealer should I use on the tiles after they are all re-installed? I don't want to use a sealer that will make my tumbled marble look polished/shiny.

Look for something like Miracle's 511 Impregnator or Stone Tech's Impregnator Pro. Both are solvent based breathable penetrating sealers, and will go a long way toward protecting your tile.

As for pictures, go to photobucket.com, and get yourself a free account. With every picture you upload there, you'll get what's called an "HTML line". Click on it to highlight it, right click, and copy it, and then past that into the body of your post, and when you preview it, you'll see your picture appear.

• claudialina10
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Let's see if this works. Tell me what you think of these tiles. I'm so upset; to me, the color is all off:

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I agree. That looks funky as hell-- more the white tiles than the dots, though.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert