Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabeldingeldine_gw

$4K DIY Bathroom Renovation

mabeldingeldine_gw
11 years ago

We had been planning a more substantial bathroom renovation, but instead are planning to put our house on the market in the next year, thus we opted for a modest renovation.

BEFORE

We tore up the old tile floor, replaced the subfloor with new plywood, replaced the toilet, made new doors for the vanity and wall cupboard, built a beadboard surround with a small cabinet around the vent stack, added beadboard wainscot, installed new vinyl plank flooring and a new toilet.

We left the tub, but tore out the old surround, which was tile on drywall. Amazingly, there was no mold behind the tile. We had to rebuild the fixture wall and re-do a lot of âÂÂinnovativeâ plumbing from the PO. We added blocking and 2 grab bars, and 2 niches.

Our goal was $3,500 but the plumbing issues and fixture wall rebuild pushed us over budget. One of my favorite features is the outlet in the wall cupboard where my hairdryer stays plugged-in and hidden -- a GW hint for sure.

AFTER

We still have to find towel hooks, finish making new door trim and its adjacent baseboard, and paint the door, but it is done enough to post, especially since I donâÂÂt know when the door trim will be finished, let alone when I will settle on a paint color for the door.

Materials:
Kraus sink and faucet ordered from Amazon
American Standard Clean Cadet from Lowes
American Olean 4-in x 4-in Earthenware Ice White ceramic wall tile
Oracle Stone and Tile 1x1 Bianca Carrara polished marble mosaic tile
Carrara pencil tile from Home Depot
Marble door threshold for vanity windowsill from Home Depot
Laticrete Spectralock Grout in Silver shadow
Redi Tile Niche inserts
Moen Kingsley Grab Bars
Moen Brantford Shower trim
Moen curved shower rod
Grohe Bao Showerhead
Grohe Relexa Rustic handshower and slide

Paint:
SW Silverplate on walls
SW Butter on vanity
SW Animated Coral vanity interior
SW Full Moon on ceiling
SW Butter with added white on music cabinet

Other:
Old music cabinet, re-painted
Old mirror from a tag sale
White seersucker shower curtain from Country Curtains
Antique milk-glass knobs from local shop
Trashcan - old enamel pail with cook-pot lid cover

Comments (15)

• raehelen
    11 years ago

What a beautiful, serene change!

I have a question about your showerhead fixture. Is that the same one in both photos? How did you build a niche directly below your showerhead? ie where are the pipes? We are DIYing our Master bath reno, just about 100% gutted now. We only have one 3 foot interior wall to put plumbing and niches, both the other 3 foot wall, and the 5 foot wall are exterior, so no niches or plumbing there.

Also have a question about your medicine cabinet. Think we will probably build our own, do all 3 glass pieces open, or just the outer two?

Superb job!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To build the niche in the fixture wall, we used PEX line and routed it around the niche.

The medicine cabinet is the existing cabinet, so I don't know any details. All three panels open.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Great job, your room looks fresh and new. I hope you enjoy it until it's time to sell. The prospective buyers will surely appreciate your efforts!

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

it is really lovely, nicely done. love the sink.

Double kudos for DIY. nothing like designing, shopping and building it all yourself. The satisfaction alone is worth the trouble.

Great looking bathroom!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Nice looking bathroom! Looks like more than a $4K update!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Treasure, Pharoh and Cat_Mom. Treasure, please note the seersucker shower curtain you helped me find, and Cat_Mom, you offered lots of great advice! Still wish we could have used your bubble tiles, but just couldn't get them in rural Maine.

Pharoh, someday I hope to be in your class with DIY!

I also should have added we did have help on the plumbing repair, hence the large cost. We just ran out of vacation and needed to finish so we had a shower!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Oh boy, this is great. I have been waiting to see your bathroom. The shower curtain is just perfect. Your vanity and sink are a real highlight. As I plan my next remodel, I am looking at sinks. It can be a tricky part. The color combinations are so fun. But, you post a color for an interior cabinet and then don't post a picture of it :( Picture please :)

In fact I'd like to see whats inside that little knee wall cabinet too. And while you'er at it, what about the cabinet with the outlet for your hairdryer? Can we see that too.

Seriously, charming is how I would characterize your bathroom. You both did such a wonderful job. You have kids right? What do they think? This was probably such a wonderful learning experience for them - to see the transformation.

Thank you so much for sharing and I what an accomplishment! Again, beautiful

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Enduring, you are so sweet. Seriously, you kept me going with your upbeat comments during this process.

I've added the link to my photo set on Flickr, you can see more, including Animated Coral, there.
    Mabel

Thanks, writersblock, I've edited to correct the link

Here is a link that might be useful: flickr photoset

This post was edited by mabeldingeldine on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 10:53

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

The pictures in this thread are great, mabeldingeldine, and you did a great job, but your last link just leads to the yahoo sign-in page.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ugh, thanks for pointing this out. I edited the above post and it should work now.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Looks great! All the details really add a lot and make it look like you spent a lot more. I hope you see a good return when you sell, such a nice improvement!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Maybe you will find the circle tiles for the next house! :)

I like what you used in this bathroom--the Carrara mosaic tile looks beautiful! The whole room is so bright, and fresh and absolutley charming!!

• enduring
    10 years ago

That Kleenex box is the same one I have. I want to decoupage it, so that I can keep it forever. It was somewhat of an inspiration piece early on in my remodel. The colors helped keep me on track. And, I too have a clock in my new remodel - on the counter by the window. We have similar taste and ideas ;)

Love it, and thanks for the link for more pictures to see behind the scenes, and your great color cabinet interiors.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Love the shower tile - what a great update!

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Ali - looks wonderful. Love the yellow and the counters especially. You are talented guys !

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x