Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caulking around shower faucet

Posted by bifjamod (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 18:46

I am preparing to replace the caulk in my shower stall. Should the decorative metal plate around the faucet handle, and the metal plate around the shower head pipe, be caulked? The builder did not do so, but it seems a good spot for moisture to enter the wall over time, from occasional splash and steam.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caulking around shower faucet

i thought this also. it's a pretty snug fit on my new installation, so my contractor really didn't think it was necessary. he indulged me by doing it anyway on the bath fixtures. but with the matching grout from the tile underneath.

o

Unless it is a steam shower, I don't think you need to worry about the shower pipe, it is above the flow of water. With regard to the escutcheon, the plate around the handle, often there is a gasket that will seal it behind the plate; if not, you can caulk around the outer rim where it meets the tile.

o

it was recommended to me (and I have old vintage 1940 fixtures) that as I have escutcheons on shower handles, to take the escutcheon off, and put a "frown" or "rainbow" (basically a semicircle) of caulk above the pipe coming out of the tile, but within the circle of the escutcheon (so that it's hidden), and let that line of caulk dry, and replace the escutcheon. Reason is, water that gets behind the escutcheon will hit the dried semicircle of caulk adhered to the tile, and will roll off the sides, and won't get into the hole in the tile. When it rolls off, it will drip out the bottom of the escutcheon. What you don't want is a full seal around the whole bottom of the escutcheon, as this can lead to trapped water in the escutcheon if the caulk fails on the top or sides. Many of these escutcheons deliberately have a drip hole to let water out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here