Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Medicine cabinet over vanity - recessed or surface mount?

Posted by linelle (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 18:31

I'm considering putting a single, 3-mirror wide (36"-48") medicine cabinet over my 57" vanity. The vanity has a single sink in the middle. The wall is interior. I think recessed looks better overall, but would there be any advantages to surfacing mounting it, aside from not having to cut into the wall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Medicine cabinet over vanity - recessed or surface mount?

If you wanted a deeper cabinet, you could recess and have some sticking out ;) too. A third option!

I've had recessed in old bathroom and it was fine. I now have a new surface mounted one that just got put up this friday. I have an exterior wall in cold Iowa. It was made for me by my fab carpenter to go with an old Robern medicine cabinet mirror door I've had for 20 years (got it for free in an alley outside a design shop-she said "take it").

With the recessed and want to change the set in the future, you'd have to do major wall repair or find a cabinet that fits. But wouldn't that be unlikely?

If I didn't like the protrusion, then recessed is what I'd do.

o

enduring, thanks. After this remodel, it's unlikely that I'll want to change things. I do like the look of recessed. One unit I'm considering can be either recessed or surface-mount, so there's that.

I can't quite visualize what you're doing with the old Robern mirror door and what your carpenter did to make it work. Is it in any of your photos?

o

Hey, I just posted my own thread ;)

o

I've got both in the house - the bath I'm remodeling has recessed; the second bath has surface mount. I would strongly suggest you go with recessed. It just looks cleaner and more finished.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here