Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camii41

Exterior Wall Shower

camii41
11 years ago

hi all,
i am a long time lurker and infrequent poster. i am just about to embark on a bathroom remodel and have a few questions i have not seen answered here.

we want to put in a large 4 x 8 shower that will take up one entire wall. one interior wall of this proposed shower shares a wall with our bedroom, one wall with the room next door and one wall is exterior. we ultimately want 2 handheld shower nozzles and a rain shower coming from the ceiling. the problem is the exterior wall cannot have a shower nozzle.
so my question is this. i saw a picture online where instead of square corners the homeowner angled the corners and that is where he/she put in the two shower nozzles. would this work? (sorry for my poor drawing)

top is the 8 foot wall and left is the exterior wall.

Comments (10)

• raehelen
    11 years ago

mmmm...clever way to keep pipes from freezing. Only drawback would be increased difficulty of tiling on a 45 degree angle. I'm not a tile expert, so don't know if tiles would have to mitre-cut or how you deal with that. If there is a significant increase of installation cost, would you just do the one corner on an angle, and have the right one installed on the either the long or short wall?

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

I think that is good solution in your situation. We built a 45 degree wall to avoid having one of our showerheads on an exterior wall. Raehelen is right, it does complicate the tile installation somewhat.

We considered angling the opposite corner just for symmetry but decided it wasn't needed....it looks fine to us.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Sorry if my pictures are sideways. I'm posting from my iPad. I'll try to edit later if necessary.

• camii41
    Original Author
    11 years ago

raehelen, i think if this is a solution we will just have one wall angled with the nozzle and the other nozzle on the right interior wall. the gc on this job is a friend of the family so we are paying peanuts for the work. i will have to see what he has to say about the tile work. might be a little tricky only because we are using 4x16 subways.

• camii41
    Original Author
    11 years ago

treasuretheday very nice shower. the two nozzles you have is exactly what we are hoping for. how did yours work out? are you in a cold climate?
    thanks for the pics

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

We're happy with our shower layout and it's working well for us. There's also a rainshower head that you can't see. The Moen I/O Digital allows us to turn on any of the shower heads remotely so we don't have to reach all the way in. Yes, we're in Michigan so we couldn't have plumbing on the exterior wall.

• camii41
    Original Author
    11 years ago

omg. i think you have just upped my budget. I WANT that iodigital!

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Put the valves on the interior wall with an access panel from the bedroom. When you repair or replace at a later time, you'll be grateful to be able to get to it.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

Treasuretheday;
    That is a beautiful shower and I notice the you have both showerheads in or near the corners. What size is your shower and is it a neoangle?

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

LOL, Camii41, the I/O Digital wasn't my idea but, oh, how I love it! We're putting another one in our guest/son's bathroom (this one is in an alcove tub/shower so we won't bother with the remote.)

It's important to plan for access to the (very large) valve box for the I/O Digital but fortunately it can be installed some distance away from the showerheads that it controls.

Thanks, Karenseb, our shower is approx. 57" x 51", with a door and a bench at opposite corners. This may help you visualize it better. We used 4" x 4" tiles on the floor.