Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Wall Shower

Posted by camii41 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 17, 13 at 18:11

hi all,
i am a long time lurker and infrequent poster. i am just about to embark on a bathroom remodel and have a few questions i have not seen answered here.

we want to put in a large 4 x 8 shower that will take up one entire wall. one interior wall of this proposed shower shares a wall with our bedroom, one wall with the room next door and one wall is exterior. we ultimately want 2 handheld shower nozzles and a rain shower coming from the ceiling. the problem is the exterior wall cannot have a shower nozzle.
so my question is this. i saw a picture online where instead of square corners the homeowner angled the corners and that is where he/she put in the two shower nozzles. would this work? (sorry for my poor drawing)

top is the 8 foot wall and left is the exterior wall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Wall Shower

mmmm...clever way to keep pipes from freezing. Only drawback would be increased difficulty of tiling on a 45 degree angle. I'm not a tile expert, so don't know if tiles would have to mitre-cut or how you deal with that. If there is a significant increase of installation cost, would you just do the one corner on an angle, and have the right one installed on the either the long or short wall?

o

I think that is good solution in your situation. We built a 45 degree wall to avoid having one of our showerheads on an exterior wall. Raehelen is right, it does complicate the tile installation somewhat.

photo Picture207.jpg

We considered angling the opposite corner just for symmetry but decided it wasn't needed....it looks fine to us.

photo Picture270.jpg

o

Sorry if my pictures are sideways. I'm posting from my iPad. I'll try to edit later if necessary.

o

raehelen, i think if this is a solution we will just have one wall angled with the nozzle and the other nozzle on the right interior wall. the gc on this job is a friend of the family so we are paying peanuts for the work. i will have to see what he has to say about the tile work. might be a little tricky only because we are using 4x16 subways.

o

treasuretheday very nice shower. the two nozzles you have is exactly what we are hoping for. how did yours work out? are you in a cold climate?
thanks for the pics

o

We're happy with our shower layout and it's working well for us. There's also a rainshower head that you can't see. The Moen I/O Digital allows us to turn on any of the shower heads remotely so we don't have to reach all the way in. Yes, we're in Michigan so we couldn't have plumbing on the exterior wall.

o

omg. i think you have just upped my budget. I WANT that iodigital!

o

Put the valves on the interior wall with an access panel from the bedroom. When you repair or replace at a later time, you'll be grateful to be able to get to it.

o

Treasuretheday;
That is a beautiful shower and I notice the you have both showerheads in or near the corners. What size is your shower and is it a neoangle?

o

LOL, Camii41, the I/O Digital wasn't my idea but, oh, how I love it! We're putting another one in our guest/son's bathroom (this one is in an alcove tub/shower so we won't bother with the remote.)

It's important to plan for access to the (very large) valve box for the I/O Digital but fortunately it can be installed some distance away from the showerheads that it controls.

Thanks, Karenseb, our shower is approx. 57" x 51", with a door and a bench at opposite corners. This may help you visualize it better. We used 4" x 4" tiles on the floor.

photo Picture264.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here