Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for replacement cabinet doors for vintage bathroom?

Posted by aok27502 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 18:10

I am renovating my father's house for sale. We have decided that the "vintage" 1963 bathroom with the mint green tile and green fixtures will stay pretty much as is. As the realtor says, "you're either all in or all out." We don't want to do a complete redo, so we'll spruce it up and see what happens.

I need to replace the cabinet doors. They have a diamond shaped metal grill in the middle, which are not in good shape. I would like to replace them with solid doors, without the decoration. I believe they are termed lipped doors (please correct me if I'm wrong.) They are 3/4" thick, and about half of the thickness fits into the hole in the frame. They are and will be painted.

I have looked at Scherr's and Barker cabinets, and the Cabinet Door Shop, and have done a site.ths search on Google for threads with sources. I didn't find much.

I can use partial overlay slab doors if it comes to that, but I am hoping to find the original style to keep the vibe going. If anyone knows where else to look, I'd be most appreciative.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for replacement cabinet doors for vintage bathroom?

Conestoga might have something

Here is a link that might be useful: Conestoga

o

Do you have a photo? Depending on the grill it might be possible to replace just that, unless of course you would prefer a solid door.

Here's a company that makes custom grilles, for example. It's not cheap, but you wouldn't need much for a vanity. Someone in the kitchens forum used them for kitchen cabinets and was pleased with the quality.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brass grilles shop

o

Barkers has a cabinet forum, you might ask there? They do sometimes take a little long to reply.

Here is a link that might be useful: barkers forum

o

If I'm understanding what I'm looking at, the very first edge profile on the Conestoga page is the right one. That lip closes against the face frame.

I'd prefer solid doors over replacing the metal mesh. I've never liked it, and it's one of the first things the Realtor grimaced at. If I can't find them to buy, my husband is a woodworker and could crank them out fairly quickly. He doesn't really have time, though, so I'd rather be able to order them.

Thanks for the sources.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here