Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this be done?

Posted by nhbaskets (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 18:07

We've been looking forward to remodeling our small master bath. I have everything chosen, and the vanity has been ordered. Last week we found out that the insurance company paying long term disability on my husband is no longer covering him. Ouch! We still want to go forward with the bathroom but need to scale things back.

My question is, can we tile the floor now and then tile the shower stall at a later time? We currently have a one piece fiberglass stall. I didn't know if this would be an issue with where the floor meets the curb.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Carole

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this be done?

I am not positive, but I think it would work better to tile the shower now and tackle the floor later.

o

Yes, you can do that. I did exactly that in one bathroom, except that it had a tub which I changed to a shower, a year after the floor was tiled.

o

Catbuilder, thanks so much for the verification!

o

I haven't done this, but I have tiled a couple of bathroom floors and I think that you should lay out the tile so that any cuts are at the shower, just in case you have to remove them to get the old stall out, also in case the new tiled shower is deeper. Of course you don't want to end up with small cuts at the back wall of the new shower stall (or even worse, at the curb!) so plan the layout very carefully. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here