Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flooring materials for bathroom with curb less shower?

Posted by crl_ (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 18:07

I am looking ahead to a bathroom remodel that is still a few years away (kitchen is next, then hall bathroom). When we do it, I am contemplating a curb less shower for accessibility. Is tile the only flooring option?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flooring materials for bathroom with curb less shower?

Realistically I would say yes.

o

Well, you could do it in a solid surface like Corian, buut you just took an expensive project into top 5% expensive.

o

• Posted by crl_ z7 No. VA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 22:49

Thank you. I figured, but thought I would ask the all-knowing gardenweb. ;)

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 23:17

You have to treat the whole room as a 'wet' room, which is determined from height of the entry floor into the room to the drain. You don't get many choices...as they would all have to be waterproof.

-Babka

o

Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 23:29

I just want to make sure I have found all the options. I understand it becomes all part of the shower floor, but I wasn't sure if there were more options than tile that can work.

I had vaguely thought of something like soapstone, which is used for shower pans, but like the corian mentioned above, it would be cost prohibitive for me (both the slab of soapstone and the floor support work to bear that kind of weight). Similarly I had thought of terrazzo. I don't know much about that material and it seems inappropriate in my 1926 French Revival house?

I love tile on walls, but find it cold, hard, and difficult to keep clean as a flooring choice so I want I make sure I have considered allllll the options beforehand. At some point I may have to decide how important the curb less shower is vs avoiding a tile floor. . . .

o

Let me expand on things a bit. I'll write some about the "technical requirements" as well as a bit about the "practical requirements".

The technical: I think it's been pretty well beaten to death over the years that code requires the shower pan has to contain water to a depth of 2" over the drain. So if you have a 2" vertical difference between the start of the sloped floor at the shower entry or threshold and the end of the sloped floor at the drain, you're good. With the 2" requirement satisfied, the entire "bathroom" floor can be flat and the floor only needs to slope within the "shower" footprint itself.

Water has surface tension, and as such it can move to areas not within the shower flood plain due to capillary action. So it makes sense to add a capillary break under the tile at the threshold to prevent water from being wicked from the wet area within the shower to the dry area in the bathroom.

Technically, you only need waterproofing within the shower and you only need an impervious material like tile on the floor within the shower's flood plain. On a practical note, it makes sense to include both a capillary break at or near the threshold and to extend the tile (or an impervious flooring material) as well as the under-floor waterproofing to an area a few feet outside of the shower.

Those few feet of protection outside of the shower will protect the floor from shower over-spray and provide a protected "drying off area", etc.

With all that written, your question was "Is tile the only flooring option?"

Inside the shower and for practical purposes the few feet outside the shower, you want a material that won't be damaged by water. That material is typically a properly rated tile or an appropriate natural stone. Man-made materials can also suffice.

Once (technically) outside the shower flood plain and (practically) a few feet away from the shower entry and on the bathroom floor, you can use whatever material you like on the remainder of the bathroom floor. Wood, cork, tile, stone, etc.

I've done a few curbless showers in that fashion: Tile or stone in the shower and extending a couple of feet out in front of the shower entry, then another flooring material (wood, cork, a different type/style of porcelain or stone tile) on the remainder fo the bathroom floor.

You specifically asked about soapstone. I've fabricated shower pans from solid soapstone slabs. I've tiled shower pans and tiled bathroom floors in soapstone. Soapstone itself is a fine choice for a shower or any other wet area.

For a remodel, yes, floor stiffness can be a concern, especially with a natural stone floor. The floor can be structurally stiffened, and membranes can also be used to decouple or isolate the tile from floor movement.

o

Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 10:51

Thanks, mongoct! I very much appreciate your time educating and helping on this forum!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here