Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
placement of mirror over tall wainscott

Posted by victorianut (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 7, 14 at 17:57

I am renovating the bath in my 1902 home. It was originally tiled with subway tile to a height of 52 inches. I am replacing this wainscott with subway tile accented with a brilliantly colored turkish tile border directly beneath the chair rail at 52 inches. Here is my question: how do I hang a vanity mirror so that it doesn't look bad hanging over the chair rail and obscuring the accent tile? My contractor suggested an oval swivel mirror which does clear the chair rail but of course partially obscures the accent tile border. I bought one to check it out and I think it looks kind of strange. I've seen several pictures on Houzz where the mirror, or medicine cabinet, is actually recessed into the wainscott but in most cases this is a wood panel not tile. My contractor thinks breaking into the accent tile border is a mistake. Suggestions? I am stuck on this stupid problem!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: placement of mirror over tall wainscott

If you haven't installed the wainscot yet why don't your design it shorter than the 52 inches. If you don't like the layered look of the tilty mirror overlaying the tile then don't do it. Its really a matter of style preference. I think the mirror you described will make the room be more casual.

Here is my 48.25" high wainscot. The mirror is set at 49.75" from the floor at the bottom edge.
 photo IMG_4064_zpsca6b5459.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here