Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub Drain - Seriously?!

Posted by hest88 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 17:27

So we're ripping out our old tub/shower combo soon and replacing it. I thought some things would be simple no-brainers--like what tub drain & overflow to get. Then I talked to a girlfriend who mentioned how much she regretted her toe-tap drain and it got me thinking that maybe I need to make a more informed decision with our drain.

This is what I know:

- We're getting 60 or 66x32 Maax Rubix, which is 19.5" high
- That means I need a taller drain system right? (Is it what Gerber calls a "Roman" drain?"
- I want a trip lever for ease of use, but also so the strainer can catch hair before it goes down the drain. Is there a difference between ones advertised with "removable strainers" like the Kohler Swiftflo? That sounds like a good thing right?
- Do I need to care about 16 gauge vs. 20 gauge brass
- Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks all. I never thought I'd have to know anything about bath drains!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub Drain - Seriously?!

With even 1 female using the tub, I think having a removable strainer it a good idea. Since our hair is longer, it tends to "wrap" around things like drains.
Brass is quite a soft metal. The lower the gauge, the stronger the metal, just like steel.

o
RE: Tub Drain - Seriously?!

Thanks Canuck. To complicate things, my contractor keeps pushing me toward a cable operated drain. The place where I'm getting my tub also only sells cable drains. From what I can see, affordable ones are all PVC, while the ones that are metal are waaaaaay over my price range (except for Kohler). And yet, I can find very info on the internet as to why a cable operated drain is superior to anything else other than ease of installation.

The tub saleswoman said there were no interior bits to catch hair, thus it was less likely to clog?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here