Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unitedmarsupials

How can I attach a shelf to a tempered glass wall?

doofus
12 years ago

Hello!

The shower booth in our master-bathroom is walled from the rest of the room with tempered glass. It is spacious and looks great and all, but there is very little room inside for the every day stuff like shampoo, soap, toothpaste, etc. so we would like to add a few shelves.

But all of the ones I can see are meant to attach to regular drywall (either directly or through tiles). What are one's options, when the wall is made of glass?

How do I hang it reliably, but still looking nice from both inside and outside the shower?

Do I have to drill through the glass wall, or are there usable glues? Are there such shelves on the market already, or would I have to improvise with the regular ones? Thank you!

Comments (13)

• David
    12 years ago

Tempered glass cannot be drilled without having it explosively shatter into many pieces.

UV cured glass glue could work for shelves outside the shower, not inside.

A floor standing/ floor to ceiling pole mounted shower caddy would probably be viable alternatives.

• doofus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

UV cured glass glue could work for shelves outside the shower, not inside.How about this glue? The description claims, it will bond with glass (emphasis mine):

From the ManufacturerSticky Ass Glue, a made in the USA line of products, is a moisture curing, 100-Percent waterproof, 100-Percent solids polyurethane adhesive. It will successfully bond dozens of various substrates including fiberglass, wood, EPS board, aluminum, PVC, steel, plastic, foam, brick, concrete, ceramic, stone, glass, Formica, ABS, cardboard, FRP board, tile, rubber, granite, travertine, dry wall and more.is it to be believed, or just a gimmick? Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sticky Ass Glue SAG4OZ Waterproof Stubbornly Strong Glue, 4-Ounce

• doofus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, this particular UV-hardening glue has the following tid-bit in its description:Additional Product Information: Strength retention on exposure to moisture or humidity is excellent.Does that mean, it could survive inside the shower, or will the bond break anyway from direct water splashing? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Loctite Impruv Ultra Violet Adhesive

• David
    12 years ago

When I did my bathroom, all the glass fabricators I spoke with recommended against having glued on shelving inside the shower.

The bond will survive for some time. However, since glass shelving is relatively heavy, even if the shelf doesn't shatter, the glass panel could be shatter if the surface is damaged by objects striking it.

• doofus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

However, since glass shelving is relatively heavy, even if the shelf doesn't shatter, the glass panel could be shatter if the surface is damaged by objects striking it.I don't understand... I thought, the concern was, the glues may not hold in a humid environment. Or is it that glass wall itself might shatter because of something being glued to it? Our glass wall is about 1/2" thick âÂ" I doubt, it will crack simply from being hit by a shampoo bottle...

• David
    12 years ago

The glue may not hold up. The shelf and whatever else it supports will fall, possibly striking the glass panel.

Tempered glass although highly durable and hard will shatter (often times explosively) once the surface is damaged.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I'm wondering how you would get behind the glass shelf to clean. You would be able to see the water spots that build up behind the shelf from the outside.
    I would ask the manufacturer before trying it, just to be safe.
    Renee

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Pretty much all glass manufacturers that I deal with state not to glue to the glass, however since there in no warranty on tempered monolithic glass go ahead if you want. You come on here ask for opinions, people give you logical reasons and you argue their points, go ahead do it your shower!

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

You do NOT want to go there. If you need a shelf, it should be on the tile wall. Get one of those shampoo dispensers and use that to organize your stuff. Get a tension pole mounted organizer. Get one of the over the shower head organizers. Just don't try to glue stuff to your glass unless you're willing to buy it all over again after you've cleaned up all of it from every last corner of your bath.

• doofus
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our glass currently has a number of holes already -- there are handles on both sides of the door, for example, that connect with each other through the glass.

The shower pipe is attached to the glass in another spot -- it goes through the glass and is capped by a chromed cap on the other side.

Also, the glass door's hinges are attached to both the door and the wall by bolts, which go through the glass...

If no reliable glue exists on the market, I may be back to drilling holes. If this is not a safe undertaking, I may consider hiring an insured pro. The procedure does seem complicated :(

Could my glass be somehow "special"? Maybe, it is not really tempered? Or, perhaps, it is not glass, but some kind of transparent plastic? Puzzling...

Milkworkman, it is not at all impolite, when given an opinion, to inquire, what the basis of it is. Nor is there anything inherently wrong with arguing (which I did not even do), much less with asking follow-up questions (which I did). My responses weren't hostile -- but yours is. Please, stop.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Drill a Hole in Tempered Glass

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

You have obviously done your homework. It's an interesting experiment. If you decide to go ahead with either option, could you post the results please?

My only experience with tempered glass is from the mosaic forum. where they use the pieces for mosaics. Drilling holes in an expensive shower is a big risk, but if you have the money, I don't see why you shouldn't try it. You could always make a beautiful crash glass mosaic from the pieces!

Renee

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Holes in tempered glass are done before the glass is tempered.

Here is a link that might be useful: This! Only a bigger bang

• golddust
    12 years ago

My SIL had a tempered shower door explode while he was showering. Blood amidst millions of pieces of glass was not pretty. No, he wasn't drilling it and we don't know why it exploded.

You need to drill glass before it is tempered. Period.