Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile Hydroban Wall Prep advice needed ASAP....

Posted by ecdiskin (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 17:15

Hi All! Doing a DIY bathroom fix and hired contractor to rip down the old tile--he offered to get the durock up for me so I'd be ready to tile...I thought, sure. But here's now what I face...he taped and filled center horizonal seam with drywall compound--as well as as all the edges between drywall and durock, used drywall screws, and never installed a vapor barrier. So I figured I'd do a coat of hydroban to deal with problems but then heard it won't adhere to drywall compound. I sanded out the center seam down to the mesh tape and skim coated with thinset--as well as skim coated the edges of the niche and the side edges so the hydroban will adhere. I figured if I prime and paint upper seams first to seal the compound then I'll be able to tile up there and that's really not in the water zone. Beyond the screws issue--I can replace the visible ones--does this seem like an acceptable plan? I hate to rip it all out and start over--time, money, hassle...but of course, I want this darn thing to last!! Please chime in:) Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile Hydroban Wall Prep advice needed ASAP....

I'll ask DH if he knows (he rebuilt our tub and shower surrounds).

However in the meantime, I'm pretty sure you need to apply three, not one coat of Hydroban.

o
RE: Tile Hydroban Wall Prep advice needed ASAP....

I would check the specs of your particular thinset. I find they are quite clear about what surfaces you can apply it to and what you can't. I wouldn't paint until I checked.

As to the one coat of Hydroban, I used Aquadefense (same type of thing - liquid waterproofing membrane). They again will be quite specific as to how many/how thick a coat you need to apply. You paint over all the seams, screw holes, niche, etc. first, let dry and then an allover coat. We did three coats for up to 7 feet high, ran out, and just did 2 coats for the top foot. DH painted the inside of the niche very very well, he figures it has about 5 coats!

I have found the tech support lines very useful. I wouldn't hesitate to call and ask them these questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here