Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecdiskin_gw

Tile Hydroban Wall Prep advice needed ASAP....

ecdiskin
10 years ago

Hi All! Doing a DIY bathroom fix and hired contractor to rip down the old tile--he offered to get the durock up for me so I'd be ready to tile...I thought, sure. But here's now what I face...he taped and filled center horizonal seam with drywall compound--as well as as all the edges between drywall and durock, used drywall screws, and never installed a vapor barrier. So I figured I'd do a coat of hydroban to deal with problems but then heard it won't adhere to drywall compound. I sanded out the center seam down to the mesh tape and skim coated with thinset--as well as skim coated the edges of the niche and the side edges so the hydroban will adhere. I figured if I prime and paint upper seams first to seal the compound then I'll be able to tile up there and that's really not in the water zone. Beyond the screws issue--I can replace the visible ones--does this seem like an acceptable plan? I hate to rip it all out and start over--time, money, hassle...but of course, I want this darn thing to last!! Please chime in:) Thanks in advance!!

Comments (2)