Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dibgar_gw

Wedi shower pan for a curbless shower?

dibgar
12 years ago

Does anyone have recent experience with the Wedi shower pan? We are talking with potential contractors and a couple have recommended a Wedi shower system for our curbless shower.

Is there anything we should know/ask about this product/installation method before we proceed?

Comments (8)

• dibgar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We are in the process of interviewing several potential contractors. After these screening interviews, we will ask for bids from the 2 or 3 contractors who are most knowledgeable and compatible with us and our project.

We know what we want for most parts of this bathroom, but we are still trying to understand the best way to design an accessible shower. We want to add it now as we rework our main floor so that we can eventually "age in place".

The four contractors we have spoken to so far have looked at the joists, sub-floor and open access from below; and all confirm that we can readily recess the floor under the shower. They differ, however, in how they would handle the shower pan and drain for this curbless accessible shower.

A couple of them have suggested the Wedi system with a linear drain. Another talked about the Schluter system, and a fourth contractor said his tile man only does a traditional mud base with a central drain.

They all said that floor in the main part of the bathroom could be level and the sloping would all occur within the 4' x 4' shower (1/4" per foot). Most would put waterproofing under the whole floor, but one typically extends the waterproofing just a foot or two beyond the shower entrance.

Are there reasons to go with the traditional mud base vs the Wedi (or other foam type backer)?

• Gnas
    8 years ago

Any idea/experience with the Wedi system please? These days contractors suggesting this system with no experience. Personally I don't feel save specially when they don't know the proper sealing. there is different ways of training videos. which one the contractors chose? there is no training in English how to install tile on Wedi floor. Crazy!! how the home owners trust this?

• xedos
    8 years ago

You can prob. dismiss the last contractor who only does mud work with a center drain. That's not going to give you enough pitch for a curbless. Now, if he's wiling to relocate the drain or use a linear type - then you can consider him . But, he's pretty much telling you outright that he's no flexible enough to build your curbless shower.

I think the most important thing you can do is to hire a design professional to plan your bathroom and shower and to draw up some detailed plans and specifications for a curbless shower. Letting a contractor wing it isn't really a good recipe for success . That's not to say that there aren't those out there that have the expertise, you just need a detailed plan showing EXACTLY how it's to be built and what materials to use. Soliciting a contractor's input is helpful, but I wouldn't let that be my starting point.

• telluwhat
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Wedi shower pans can and are used for curbless installs. Many things have to be confirmed prior to it being an approved method, But with a properly cleated and/or recessed subfloor, and a ramp up of the surrounding floor wedi can work. The pan Likely will require a drain relocation.

I have installed many wedi showers and while they are easy to install, it doesn't mean anyone can do it. You need to be dead on with measurements and methodical with every step, and you must start with A Level floor and plum walls. Request a flood test of the shower before it gets tiled.

When you consider that A small 3x3 wedi kit with enough sealant and panels costs me around $900. you sure dont wanna gamble on who installs it.

• xedos
    8 years ago

You're right , think he should confirm that his bath meets the proper deflection criteria before even thinking about tile? How about properly framing that lowered floor in the shower pan area ?

I know you're stickler for that and wedi isn't going to add any strength being foam and all.

• telluwhat
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The proper way to recess a subfloor is a long winded topic if you want my opinion on that go ahead and start a thread and ill try and walk you thru it.

The WEDI pans are extremely dense and stiff I have actually spanned one on a couple 2x4's and tested this but im only #190 still they absolutely require a proper substrate and embedded install.

To the OP:

My local Wedi rep is extremely knowledgeable of their product and when and where it can be installed from a structural standpoint. Id suggest you lean on Wedi if you are worried about who you hired.

• xedos
    8 years ago

Won't start another topic, cause you don't offer me anything - but feel free to start one yourself if it'll make you feel good.