Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Best product to clean shower glass?

sis2two
14 years ago

Do any of you know a good product to clean the clear glass of a shower door? Didn't realize at the time I had the door installed what a problem it is to keep clean. I even used rain-x which was recommended to repel water stains but that doesn't seem to work that great. I don't know if you should use the same product on your glass that you use to clean the tile or not. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (8)

• suero
    14 years ago

I squeegee after every use, and when I get around to cleaning the shower, which I do when I can psych myself up to do so, I either use the same cleaner that I use on the tiles (Tilex soap scum or Scrubbing Bubbles) or rubbing alcohol on a paper towel.

• gbsim1
    14 years ago

After having an old pebble texture glass shower door with build up on it that an atomic blast wouldn't have removed, I swore never to let it happen again. I tried every product known and couldn't get it off.

When you get it off (and I'm sure you will since it's relatively new) squeegee and keep an old towel in the bathroom. Last one out of the shower sqeegees and then dries it off with the towel. My frameless doors are still spotless after 2 years and I've never cleaned them. Yes, it takes about 90 seconds to do but if I count the time I would have spent spraying chemicals, scrubbing etc then I'd rather do the daily wipe down.

• lennym
    14 years ago

We found it's best to stop using ordinary soap. When we switched to Dove almost all of our cleaning problems disappeared. I am told that liquid soap will work well too.

• debo_2006
    14 years ago

Try dryer sheets on the glass. It gets off the soap scum. Works for me. I actually learned that here on GW.

• bbstx
    14 years ago

The cleaning service I used before I moved used CLR. We also squeegeed after each shower. The shower doors were always pristine. Now if only I could convince the woman who owned the service to move 600 miles east!

• musicmaven
    14 years ago

Try a shower cleaning spray called METHOD. Comes in a clear bottle. Excellent - spray daily after showering and you'll see the difference.

• prtyhandi4agrl
    13 years ago

Putting myself through college with a housekeeping business the best product to clean glass shower doors of soap scum / water spots is trisodium phospate or TSP for short. Your local hardware store should have it in either powder or liquid form and is cheap. I've only used the powdered stuff and mixed it myself. Just wipe on with a sponge, rinse off with water and towel dry -cloth diapers, are great. Yes cloth diapers, they don't leave lint - Target & WalMart should have them.

I still use it and it works on porcelain tubs too.
    * * *I don't know if it is safe to use on natural stone! So you may want to read the box or look it up on Wiki.

Or maybe you've found something good already. I'd love to hear! Good luck!

• minette99
    13 years ago

I re-did my bath about 6 weeks ago and had new glass shower/tub doors installed. I've been using a squeegee daily on them and once every 10 days or so I use a hand steamer (Shark) on them and they look great all the time. So far so good! I also use only liquid soap. I also use the steamer on the tiles. Neither the glass nor the tiles ever even look like they need cleaning, but I do it anyway to keep it clean and gleaming...