Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
teak slats / mats for shower?

Posted by sochi (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 16:56

My master bath reno has been moved up by two years due to an unfortunate leak earlier this week. A leak onto my lovely kitchen floors. Sigh. Onwards.

Has anyone used teak floor slats for their shower area? Pros and cons? I love the look and am seeing many examples in photos on Houzz, but I have no first hand information. I've also seen cedar used (see last picture below).

CB : Residential Projects : Willard Street Residence1 modern bathroom

Master Bath Redesign modern bathroom

LG House - Interior modern bathroom

Here is a link that might be useful: link to random company selling teak mats

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: teak slats / mats for shower?

No reason not to, if you like it. (I do) After all, they use it on ship's decks alla time.....

o

Thanks lazarususa. My contractor didn't seem to think it was a good idea (mildew etc.). I assume you lift the mats up and clean the tile underneath regularly, plus there is sufficient air flow under the teak mats to prevent most mildew problems.

o

Sochi,

Teak is great for inside the shower. Teak itself will not rot, or gather mildew, however soap/shampoo residue can collect mold. This can be cleaned off with hot water, Murphy's soap, and a nylon bristle brusch. You should cleant the bottom of the mats, and floor every couple of months as well. Teak is a better choice then cedar, as teak will last a lot longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here