Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abrocket

Can I just use cement board and paint, no tile?

abrocket
10 years ago

1960's home. 2nd bath needs an overhaul: floor and showerstall.

the floor is rotting and needs to be replaced.

after that, what i'd like to do for the shower is rip out the old ugly shower panels, drywall, and floor pan.

then put in wall seal, and cement board.

Do I really need a shower pan or could I use concrete board for that also?

Then - can I just paint the cement board?

This pic is what I'd like to end up with. This is a concrete shower stall I think, but I could fake that look with paint.

I would use a waterproof primer, then I could do a faux concrete-look paint job with an exterior paint.

This pic is very representative of two things
1. My vision of what I'd end up with and
2. this is very close to the size of my bathroom. (with the toilet off to the left of the pic facing the shower)

Here is a link that might be useful: dream shower

Comments (16)

• abrocket
    Original Author
    10 years ago

actually, i was just thinking of using an oil-based exterior primer.

I could look into those other things though.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Forget that....just a formulae for failure. You need to use a waterproofing membrane over the board...or lacking that, a vapor barrier behind it, dropping into the pan. The pan MUST be waterproof, either with a pre-slope, a rubber liner attached to the drain and a final slope upon which you set the tile. Weepholes MUST be protected as well. ALternatively, Hydroban or Kerdi can be applied as a Surface Applied Membrane OVER the Cement board and attached to their propriatery drain syastem.

Ask more questions her or try JohnBridge dot com forums for further instruction.

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

I gather you are talking about just covering the wall with cement board and then painting the board.

Don't do that. There is no exterior paint that will hold up under those conditions, and you are creating mildew heaven.

• schicksal
    10 years ago

StoneTech is spot on. It's a recipe for leaks and rot.

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

You need to use tile.

I've had good luck with Tile Redi shower pans.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Redi prefab shower pans

• abrocket
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it appears the consensus is 'don't do that" ... that's fine.

I dont want tile. the tile isn't waterproof either.

i heard rumors of a place here in town that does concrete showers (cement-board + wire mesh + concrete + sealer)

which means I'd have to pay someone to do the concrete work, but I'd do all the prep (pan, sealer, etc)

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

Tile does leak, but the waterproof membrane under properly installed tile does not.

You can get Corian and quarts tile surrounds made in slabs that may be what you are looking for. Check with you local countertop fabricator. Also available from Lowes and Home Depot.

Yu might also check out pre-fabricated fiberglass shower surrounds.

• abrocket
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let's go back to my original purpose, and the reasons for it. This is a 2nd shower. I have to rebuild the whole bathroom due to water damage to the floor. I also need to throw out the existing shower enclosure.

1. I *LOVE* the look of the shower in that pic (see 1st post)
    2. Tile is expensive. Not worth the money for 2nd shower.
    3. Plastic shower panels are UGLY

I was looking for something reasonably priced that looked cool.

I did come up with a new idea yesterday:

ABS plastic panels on the sides (Very inexpensive from TAP vs 'shower panels' from home depot) - OR just use a cheapo plastic shower wall insert and pan.
    THEN .. this is the cool part .. trowel on the texture and color with fiberglass resin to look like natural stone or concrete
    100% waterproof
    cool.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Not all tile is expensive. Get a nice pan such as swanstone and find some tile for less than $1 per SF.

• abrocket
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DId I mention that I think tile is ugly also? Unless it's those big natural stone things.. and they're not $1 / ft

also, tile is lots more work than I want to do.

This post was edited by abrocket on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 14:55

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

You think tile in general is ugly??? Yes, it is work.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Have you looked into swimming pool paint? you could do a marbleized effect with that I would think. I have never had a swimming pool but I have been in swimming pools and I know they are painted. I would still get a shower pan and not try to build one. If you build one you need to make a pre slope, then a waterproof membrane integrated with the drain, then the mud bed that the tile is installed upon. I've never done that either but it sounds like a lot of work.

If I hear you right, you are more into a novelty shower than the work of constructing a working shower. You can have both.

Another thought. Would the "granite" paint for counters work as a water proof barrier? It is a product that people paint their formica countertops with, to give the look of stone. I don't know how waterproof it is though.

Is there an epoxy paint that is shower ready and waterproof?

Some of these options I mention are probably very toxic to work with. These are just thoughts and I have never seen any of these things use for the shower you'd like.

If you got the panels that were mentioned above, you could get the look you are after, and have a safe installation environment.

• abrocket
    Original Author
    10 years ago

enduring - thanks for some interesting ideas.

I know now that what people are trying to tell me comes down to this: you can't use paint for the waterproofing.

doesn't mean I cant do some cool things with plastic panels and resin, and then use the paint just for looks.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I'm also interested in alternative shower surround materials. In our humid bathroom, after 12 years the tile grout is in rough condition and needs to be redone. And the tile looks dated too.

I think your idea of an applied concrete effect is tricky because of how porous concrete is. Basically the entire shower wall would be grout - with the corresponding cleaning/sealing/maintenance issues.

I like the look of corrugated aluminum

http://cottagedreamers.blogspot.ca/2013/09/galvanized-corrugated-metal-shower.html

I also like the look of backpainted glass - few seams required.

• Mark D
    7 years ago

I used Zinsser pool paint on my 8' x 8' pool house bath room. The whole concrete floor slopes to the drain and is covered with Kerdi and tile. 2 walls are structural concrete and the 2 walls in shower corner are cement board with fine glass tape joints and 2 coats of pool paint. It looks a little rough because you can see the joint tape but it seems to work great and the shower gets a lot of use.