Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianne47_gw

Tips for installing Kohler Greek tub?

dianne47
11 years ago

FINALLY, the end is in sight on adding the master and guest suites to our mountain home. We're setting the tile on the alcove tub deck today and Monday, after the grout we'll be ready to install the tub.

Anyone who has experience with this tub, can you provide any suggestions, caveats, etc.? I read somewhere that you have to be careful about caulk, that you need to fill the tub with water before caulking, or the caulk might separate later. We are going to set the tub in a mortar bed and wrap it with insulation batts.

BTW, we're using Emser Landscape Prairie (Italian thrubody) tile in the master (tub deck and steam shower) and it's just gorgeous. If you're looking for a beautiful porcelain slate-look-alike, try the Emser Landscape. It comes in several color families and has multi-colored mosaics that are lovely. I had excellent service and pricing from the Emser store in Albuquerque (see my Yelp review).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on installing the Greek tub.

Comments (4)

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

We have the Greek tub. We did not fill it with water before caulking and it is fine. It was installed almost two years ago.

You are going to love this tub! My favorite activity on a cold winter Sunday is to soak in this tub up to my neck while my dinner is cooking. Mmmmmm!

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

By the way, we installed a step in front of the tub to cut the visual depth of the tub because it is so tall. We also put a grab bar on the wall.

You might want to take a look at my photos that I posted a while back under "pics of my new bathrooms".

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

I plan to have a Greek tub in our master bath so I have been on the watch for info for a while. This link below doesn't point to a Greek tub but it does point to a "drop in" tub.

FYI I have read in several posts here and elsewhere about possible problems with there being leaks around the top edge. I mentioned it to my contractor and he was very familiar with the possibility. He said he thought he had a pretty good solution that would prevent problems (using Kerdi somehow around the lip) but it hasn't stopped me from continuing to look for more info.

At this link below, someone mentions with what sounds like a lot of confidence that one recommendation is "If you have ever had damage from water in your tub shower., you will want an integral flange. If your caulking fails, it provides a safety net to keep water where it belongs." There are several other comments in the "questions" section about others who have had leaks. I recommend you read.

For more info, drill down in the "questions" section - This info below does not pertain to a greek tub but it is a "drop in" which is the main issue from what I understand:
    [Drop in tub on Houzz (not Greek) [(https://www.houzz.com/photos/nautical-bathroom-contemporary-bathroom-phvw-vp~30363)

• dianne47
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments. My Greek tub will be in an alcove that I purposely designed a little larger than the tub. I wanted to have it securely built in with a margin of a few inches, it's a tiled deck. We used NobleSeal TS on top of the deck and up the walls where the tile will form a "backsplash" (for waterproofing) and are tiling on top of that.

We will install a Moen Kingsley 12-inch grab bar on the wall for safety when getting in and out of the tub. There isn't room for a step, so I think we will sit on the deck and swing legs in and out to enter and exit the tub.

I've had the Greek tub sitting in my living room for about 5 months, I had to order it when the initial framing was being done so the alcove and deck could be built correctly. I'm going to be really happy to have the tub where it belongs!