Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
height of small shower bench

Posted by marys235 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 15:54

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't decide how high to put my shower bench. I'm putting in a granite corner bench, 12x12x17, which will probably just be used to put my foot on when shaving my legs. But I suppose it would be nice to be able to sit on it, if I had to for some reason. So 10" might be a good height for shaving, but kind of low to sit on. Although I'm not sure it will even be big enough for an adult to sit on. Does anyone else have a bench this size, and can recommend a good, useful height?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: height of small shower bench

Approximately 17-20" off the finished floor.

o

We've had a 20" high, 10" wide and 36" long bench since 1979. I liked it to shave my legs back then. We are about to remodel, and now we are old...65+, and we find that we like to dry while in the warm shower with the door closed, so we use that 20" bench to put a foot on to dry a leg. We both have back problems, but that 20" height is good for us. Our fancy new shower will have exactly that same set up, but now with an alcove so we don't have to bend down to pick up the shampoo, etc.

10" high might work for you now but old backs have more trouble getting down that far, or lifting a leg up that far. Bill Vincent his right on with his 17-20" recommendation.

-Babka

o

Thanks for the info, my tile guy suggested 10" because that would be the first grout line (13" tile, I guess the shower floor takes up the first 2 or 3 inches). The next grout line would be 23", I think, which would be kind of high. I'll just tell him it can't be on a grout line.

o

Our shower seat is 17 1/2" high which works great for us. I've included a photo so that you might be able to see how we avoided grout lines on the front of it. We set the height to line up with the horizontal grout lines and, by using an extra large format tile, we were able to avoid a vertical grout line in the front.

photo Picture246.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here