Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabies_gw

double towel bar vs. hooks

Mabies
10 years ago

We have a small bathroom, small space for towels... basically all that is available is a 24" wide wall between the vanity and the corner, and the pocket door will be closing right at that corner.

We are considering a double towel rack, but it sticks out about 4-3/4"... I think it might feel like it's crowding a person walking into the room. The switches also need to be above the towel rack. fwiw, contractor is looking to see if he can slide the pocket door about 4" so at least there is a typical width of moulding around the door.

I prefer the look and simplicity of hooks. Seems like towels need to be hung carefully on a bar to look decent. Bathroom potentially shared by all four family members, so some of the towels will need to be hung in bedrooms to dry.

Any ideas/thoughts appreciated!

Comments (9)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

We have a similar sized space, our pocket door closes right next to the wall (you can barely see wee bit of wall in bottom right corner-haven't painted/installed trim yet).

I have a towel warmer that sticks out the same as a double towel bar would, door is only 28", I am a wide woman and have absolutely no problems or feel at all crowded entering the BR.

How about 2 hooks above a double towel bar? Then room for four towels. Switch could be in between, just have hooks high enough.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

We have very little room for towels in our hall bath. After years of draping towels over the shower curtain rod I added these hooks in a narrow space right next to the tub.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

And this double rack with shelves next to the vanity. It sticks out a bit more than I'd like, probably close to 6" but I've grown used to it and it's a vast improvement,

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

I have hooks in each of my bathrooms. The wet towels hung on hooks take forever to dry out, they are usually not completely dry even by the second day. You might want to experiment to see how fast yours will dry out before you commit.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I really like the hooks we used in our daughter's bath. There are only 3 of them but they're double hooks so she can also use them for her robes and to hang wet bathing suits to dry. This room also serves as the guest bath and they worked out really well when we had company visiting from out of town, because everyone had their own hook.

We haven't experienced any issues with the towels drying out between each use, but we're in sunny, dry California and I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Be sure to try out different hooks. I originally ordered the Mercer hooks from Pottery Barn, but the heavy towels wouldn't stay put. These are the vintage hooks from Restoration Hardware and we haven't had a problem. They're very heavy and "curvier" than some other hooks.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

Dont know where you are, OP, but we live in the hot, very humid South, and towel hooks are not a practical option for us. Simolar to lisadlu, we stick with towel bars, otherwise the towels won't dry out well and will then sour :-(.

I hear you about the projection of the double bar, though. I wanted one for our master bath remodel but decided against it for the same reasons as you--it just felt like it would project too far into the walkway of our narrow bath.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Sorry I don't have a picture, but I elected to hang two standard rod towel racks, one above the other, in a newer bathroom. This gives me room to hang four towels. The top ones are probably too tall for a child to reach, but works well if you have multiple adult guests or adults and children sharing the room. We had this setup in our house growing up. It's nice to not have the towel racks stick out too much, but still be able to hang more than a few towels.

• gildee
    10 years ago

I bought several long, single towel bars, without really thinking through their placement. I discovered one bar was too long, and decided to go with a short double towel bar. We love its utility, hand towels and bath mat. And the master bath's door closes.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz