Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltlfromgardenweb

GWers, please help me choose a sink for powder room

ltlfromgardenweb
10 years ago

Hi Everyone, GardenWeb has helped me with so many things on this whole house renovation and we're nearing the end but the sink we bought for the powder room won't work so we need to quick buy another one. As you can see it's tiny.

There's the before, here's the NOW. (Obviously not quite done!):

So we narrowed it down to these two that would fit. Which do you like better? I guess I was originally going for a Traditional style, which is how I would describe the rest of the house and my style in general, but this bathroom is so tiny and hard to work with that it's not necessarily sticking to the look of the rest of the house which I guess is fine. Anyway please tell me what you think! No opinion is too harsh!

OR

Sorry the first sink pic is so tiny. The second sink to me is more interesting, but maybe it's too contemporary and sleek for me? But the first one is particularly bland? Thanks everyone!!

Comments (19)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

I like the first one. It reminds me of this one from houzz. Your room has a similar feel to it.

• ltlfromgardenweb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LotteryTicket, I love you! You know why? Because that very picture on Houzz was my "inspiration pic." In fact it was exactly what I was trying to do with my bathroom.

Except, we couldn't do hardwood because the hardwood floor guy is already done with the rest of the house and it's not worth it for him to come back just for a few square feet, and the wainscoting that was supposed to be just like this got scrapped in favor of the beadboard paneling because as you can see there was previously tile and when the contractor removed it the walls were such a mess under that we needed the beadboard to cover the mess... and I didn't want the strip of mosaic tiles above the wainscoting because IMO those tiles are a trend that's starting to inch its way out already... and although I love the IKEA sink they used, I love this entire Houzz bathroom, I feel like it's a bit too modern for the rest of the look... but other than those details, I was going for this EXACT bathroom!

Anyway, thanks for your recommendation and thank you for making me feel good that after all, my bathroom isn't quite so far off from the exact look I was trying for!!

• xc60
    10 years ago

I like the first sink too, more classic for your cute bathroom. Love it! :)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

LTL - Wow, you are going to end up with one that is pretty darn close. And I love beadboard so go with your intuition because you've made some nice choices. At the tile store the sales person kept trying to steer me to the glass mosaics. There is nothing wrong with them but I agree. You see them everywhere.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I actually like the second one because it has more flat space for a soap dish and/or lotion container. I can't tell if the first sink would have much room for a soap dish and if its ledge is flat.

I also like the rounded shape of the second sink; I think it will feel nicer to slip past it into the room - no jutting out corners.

Mock up cardboard templates the size and shape of each sink top and rig them up to mimic how each sink will be on the wall. See which 'feels' better and works best in the space.

Cute powder room!

• TSG1104
    10 years ago

I like the first sink best too and I love the hex tile.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

The first sink is more traditional, but I like the idea of more counter space with the second. You don't have the tank on the toilet, but given that most toilets have rounded forms as the base of yours has, I don't think the second sink would look out of place.

In the before picture, you have a built-in soap dish. Your new bathroom doesn't have this. Does the first sink even have space for a bar of soap?

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 21:28

• enduring
    10 years ago

Are the depths (from wall to center of the room) the same? How do the bowls compare in size? I like the second one if the bowl sizes are equal. I like the side counter spaces for setting things on while using the sink. Over all, I would choose the sink that would function the best for washing the hands, then consider the the style.

For purses, it looks like there is a little space for a landing on the right, in the corner, when you walk in the door. This could be a cute little deco detail too.

• hunzi
    10 years ago

There is irony - the classic sink you just tore out is the sink I'm putting in. ;-)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hunzi, I took one out like that too, LOL. Too bad you weren't in the Ames area last year, I might have given it to you. But it was WORN OUT. It took a lot of work to get it off the wall and off of the big old cast iron bracket that was buried in the wall to support it. I had always loved the sink. RIP.

• hunzi
    10 years ago

enduring, do you still have the bracket??? I'm hunting one!

• enduring
    10 years ago

OP have you decided on a sink model?

Hunzi, I am not sure. I'll ask DH. Its been 2 years now and I can't remember if we gave it to my DSIL or it went into the scrape steel pile. As you see in the picture my sink is a bit different.

edited cause I forgot to add picture of my old sink.

This post was edited by enduring on Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 7:51

• hunzi
    10 years ago

Ohhh so it wasn't an exact match! Then it probably would not work. I have the big bracket from my china wall hung UglyBoysRoom sink that came out of the MrG's 1950s Bathroom from Hell, but it won't fit this sink.

Deabath says they have a Crane bracket that will work. - It needs long L-bracket type extensions to support the bottom because the actual bracket slots are quite a ways into the sink, not on the back wall like they were on my little 1920s cast iron sink that went into the Nearly Perfect Powder Room.

Alas! I was hoping we were having a serendipitous moment!

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

Oh and for LongTimeLurker, since I've rudely hijacked this thread (sorry about that!) - I like the 1st sink best, but I really prefer the Houzz sink! You do need a spot for soaps etc. If you pick a sink without them, make sure you have a shelf handy.

• ltlfromgardenweb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know, I didn't even think of seeing if anyone would want my old sink. I guess the contractor hauled it away? The seller of the house specifically asked for the sink in the upstairs bathroom once we get to renovating that room, as for some reason it has sentimental value to her! Go figure...

• ltlfromgardenweb
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know, I didn't even think of seeing if anyone would want my old sink. I guess the contractor hauled it away? The seller of the house specifically asked for the sink in the upstairs bathroom once we get to renovating that room, as for some reason it has sentimental value to her! Go figure...

• hunzi
    10 years ago

In working condition those sinks are worth up to about $700 at the smarmy retro shops! ;-)

I found mine for $5 at a Restore.

always ;-)
    Hunzi
    old stuff has value to old house people!

• enduring
    10 years ago

Oh Hunzi, you aren't rude, but we did do some hijacking :)

My bracket is/was a flat piece of cast iron that was bolted to the wall and the sink some how locked onto the bracket. No "L" bracket of any sort. btw, DH forgot to look today. I am still curious if I have it.

• hunzi
    10 years ago

Yes, that's what the bracket from the UglyBoysRoom sink looks like - they have a pair of small flanges that fit into slots on the sink and support it - the 1939 Standard Shelfback I have is surprisingly different - no slots in the back, but there are a couple of slots on the bottom of the sink a few inches in. The bracket mounted to the wall, and locks in under the sink more like a cleat. It also has holes for Chrome front legs that help support the weight. It's all ceramic and super heavy even at only 22" wide (there's a larger version of this sink too). I'll be sure to install heavy blocking to support it.

Luckily, it looks like I can get a bracket that will work (but not made for the exact sink) - I'll still probably hit the salvage shops and see if I can turn one up locally for just a few bucks before I pony up retail from a retro shop.

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• busybee3
    10 years ago

i would choose the 2nd sink or the houzz sink... i don't think i would worry about the ikea sink looking too modern if it basically had the 'right look' and was more functional...