Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jetted tub jacuzzi access panel?

Posted by RiversideKid (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 15:33

Just how "accessible" is an access panel supposed to be? Our tile installer has just tiled our access panel telling us that "it's customary" to leave two 12x24 tiles grouted, but not held in any other way. To access the motor, plumbing and GFCI we need to break the grout and the tile falls out and we would need to re-grout to put them back.

I hired a company to re-tile my bathroom and change the ugly access panel on the jetted tub to something pretty, which they do regularly and said it would be easy! (Without specifics in writing, I hired his company)

My question: where this may meet the installer's definition of my request, is this "customary?" Is this really considered "within most code?" (Georgia if you know the code here, I don't)

Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jetted tub jacuzzi access panel?

The actual fabrication of the access panel is up for interpretation.

I always try to make an access panel that's tool-less. Take it out, put it back, no tools, no repairs. It could be a type of tile overlay, or if the apron has non-tile details, a removable raised wood panel, or a removable built-in towel shelf insert for example.

For flush tiled aprons, some tilers will tile and grout the apron, but use sanded caulk that matches the grout around the access panel tiles instead of portland-based grout. Use a utility knife to score and cut it out should the need arise.

Some use magnetic catches to hold the tile in place.

Most do nothing. They leave no access panel.

As to "code", code first defers to the manufacturer's installation instructions. So the tub needs to be installed IAW the manufacturer's published instructions, and that makes it code compliant. If there are no instructions, then code does define pump access to whirlpool tub installations as follows:

SECTION P2720 WHIRLPOOL BATHTUBS

P2720.1 Access to pump.
Access shall be provided to circulation pumps in accordance with the fixture or pump manufacturer's installation instructions. Where the manufacturer's instructions do not specify the location and minimum size of field-fabricated access openings, an opening of not less than 12-inches by 12-inches (305 mm by 305 mm) shall be installed for access to the circulation pump. Where pumps are located more than 2 feet (610 mm) from the access opening, an opening of not less than 18 inches by 18 inches (457 mm by 457 mm) shall be installed. A door or panel shall be permitted to close the opening. In all cases, the access opening shall be unobstructed and be of the size necessary to permit the removal and replacement of the circulation pump.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here