Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing new tub- surround or tile (water-proofing options)

Posted by kitch1 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:30

Hi,

I am planning on replacing an existing bath tub but would like opinions on whether to go with a tile or a plastic surround. Being on a 2nd floor condo, my main concern is waterproofing. In either scenario, does a water proof membrane need to be applied to the walls? I am planning on going with Hardibacker CBU up to at least 72."

If you could include a simple how-to (steps) for running a liner up for tile, that would be very helpful (e.g., go with a weephole drain, pre-slope under tub? (some say to use a level base), how far up the wall should the liner go? I noticed some say to go just above the water line but then what about all the water that gets behind the tile at 5 feet? I noticed that the Kerdi system goes all the way up the wall. All the walls are interior and not exterior.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing new tub- surround or tile (water-proofing options)

The Kerdi fleece goes on top of cbu or sheetrock and is hung with thinset similar to wall paper. A liquid moisture barrier such as Hydro Ban, Red Guard, Aqua Defense is painted on with a roller and/or paint brush on top of cbu. The shower tile wall height is determined by code and your personal design decision.

The best place to start is to read the manufacturer's directions. If you search for Hydroban and Kerdi on this forum, Mongoct has some great threads and diagrams on the subject. You can watch videos made by the manufacturers on youtube. Be careful about youtube stuff, some of it is not quite correct. You can also go to the Terry Love and John Bridge forums.

Most newbie DIY like to use one of the liquid membranes.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here