Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who has retrofitted an old toilet to be low-flow or dual flush?

Posted by drbeanie2000 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 19, 12 at 15:29

Experiences? Our toilets are the originals to our 1954 house, and we want to keep them. Can they be transformed into more water-saving devices?

beanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who has retrofitted an old toilet to be low-flow or dual flus

Low flow toilets aren't just old toilets that use less water. They are designed from the beginning to work with less water. The flush valves and sizes are different. The jets are different. The shapes are subtly different.

So while you could set up your old toilets to use less water, you will have a difficult time making them work with less water and you may have to flush more than once. You'd be better off purchasing new toilets with an older look. They do exist, and they can pay for themself over time.

o

Yes. Put bricks in the tank.
Renee

o

I have been studying which toilet to buy, and here is an article I found that explains how low-flows work. As the article explains, a low-flow toilet employs a different design.

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV Low-Flow Toilet Article

o

An old toilet cannot be retrofitted..It is true that you can slightly reduce the water consumption in an old toilet by placing a brick in the tank, but the savings is only about 1 qt of water and often it will cause the toilet to not flush properly...

I am attaching two illustrations that I made. The first one will show the complete step by step process in how a toilet flushes...

The second illustrates the technical differences between a 3.5gpf toilet and a 1.6gpf toilet. As you can see from the illustration, you can not convert a standard bowl to a water saver.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Thanks, everyone. I was thinking of something like this, but it sounds like that's a no-go. I'm just curious about all these old 1950s ming green or Mamie pink toilets I've seen antique/retro shops selling, like this. Do people just buy and install them themselves on the quiet? Our contractor implied that the town wouldn't "let" us keep our older toilets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old bath fixtures for sale

o

Beautiful. I suppose if you pulled permits for a big remodel you must put in new stuff- my dad just had to put in led can lights in a kitchen remodel.

Different towns probably have different permit processes.

If you're not getting permits, you can do anything you like :)
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here