Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gray grout color with white subway and white marble mosaic

Posted by DebraV (dvessels@cableone.net) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 15:21

Please help me decide on a gray color grout to use with my White subway tile tub/shower surround with 3" white carrara marble 1x2 mosaic trim inset. Also, I will be using American Olean 12" x 12" Sausalito White Ceramic Floor Tile that I want gray grout as well. I ordered Laticrete silver shadow unsanded grout for the subway tile. After seeing it mixed I don't think I will like it with the gray in the marble, and too light for the floor grout. I am 60 miles from any big box and tile stores, so I would love to find a color from Lowes or home depot that doesn't have to be ordered. Along with all of the mortar, grout, caulk etc of the same brand. Would you recommend Mapei as a good product? I did see a picture of the Mapei "Pewter" with the white floor tile that looked good. I am getting the tile from Lowes, so it would just be easier to get it all there. I am sure this is just the beginning of the tile questions, but many have already been answered by the posts on here. So glad I found this forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gray grout color with white subway and white marble mosaic

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sorry to those who are tired of seeing these photos.
This grout is Polyblend Delorean Gray available at HD in stock in sanded, unsanded, and caulk. I think some other GWers have used it too.

o

Remember that grout is often a different color in the bucket than when it dries. So while you may not like it mixed, you may like it once it's set & dry. Do you have enough spare tile that you could do a mock up?

I don't know if Lowe's or HD have them, but our tile place had thin plastic segments of what the different grout colors would look like dry--that's how we selected ours and it was spot on. It would be worth giving them a call & asking--shoot, it may even be worth driving the 60 miles to a tile store that does have the sample segments to make sure you will like the end result.

debak--love your tile/grout/granite combination!

Hope this helps!

o

Thank you Debrak for the pics, yes, I do like the Deloren Gray. I found a chart on the internet that compares the colors of Mapei, Laticrete and Custom Building Products, very helpful. I do realize it isn't perfect, but will help me narrow down a few colors.
mydreamhome, yes, I do have to drive 60 miles to HD and Lowes, so I will be searching out a few real tile stores in the city and calling to see if they have real grout samples. Thanks for that tip. The big box stores are great for a lot of things, but some are very lacking in knowledge and service. I think it is time for professional help! Thanks
This is the grout chart in case anyone else is in need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grout-Aide color comparisan chart

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here