Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guidelines for mirror frame thickness

Posted by linelle (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 15:14

I've pretty much decided to have a framed mirror over my vanity (approx. 48 x 30). I can buy a custom frame online or at Michael's, take it to my local glass shop and have them install a mirror, plain or beveled, for less than anything I've seen anywhere. Plus any size and I pick the frame. Seems like the way to go, and thanks for the advice I've received here to do that (hollysprings, I think).

I will probably pick a frame in a color similar to my vanity (still to be determined, but stained wood). It doesn't have to match, just coordinate. I'm wondering about the thickness of the frame itself. I don't especially want something heavy looking, nor do I want to undersize so that it looks puny.

Any basic guidelines (min/max)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guidelines for mirror frame thickness

I guess it depends on how elaborate you want the mirror to be. If you're going for a modern minimalist look I'd keep it to one inch or less. If you want something more traditional then you can go beyond that. I'm looking at a picture I have in my living room. The frame is about 1.75 inches wide and 1.75 inches thick. It's definitely not overwhelming but it's pretty traditional. I think contemporary frames that are that thick and wide detract. When the frame is thinner it looks sleek and sophisticated. But that's just me. My "pop art" prints are all in a plane black 3/4 inch frame.

o
RE: Guidelines for mirror frame thickness

Lotteryticket, that makes sense. I have a plain 2" wide frame on a large living room mirror and it's neither fish nor fowl. Definitely not traditional in frame styling but a little too wide and heavy to be sleek. Now I understand why. It's okay, but next time I'll know better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here