Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clawfoot tub refinishing - synthetic porcelain vs. thermo-glaze?

Posted by kimrisek (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 15:05

We are nearing completion on our gut rehab in Chicago, and need to make a decision about what process to use to refinish the interior of our 100-year old clawfoot bathtub. The widely used industry standard seems to be "synthetic porcelain", which as best as I can tell is paint, essentially. My research has shown that there is no way to actually "restore" porcelain, but there is one refinisher here in Chicago that uses a process called "thermo-glaze", which he purports to be as close to original porcelain as possible. If that is the case, then I think it is the way to go. Does anyone have any knowledge and or experience with this technique and how it compares to the standard synthetic porcelain? Here is the website of the thermo-glaze company and the description of the process:

http://www.aarcobaths.com/services

We have taken such care with this tub, and we don't want to "cheap out" now! We had the feet sandblasted and chrome-plated. You can see the beautiful results, and other pictures of the renovation, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20595563@N06/6858500531/

Any and all advice/input will be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here