Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would like opinions on estimate

Posted by suel41452 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 14:52

I have 2 baths, one 50 sq.ft. and a basement one on concrete 25 sq. ft.
One tile guy gave me an estimate for BOTH baths to remove vinyl sheet flooring, install floor tile (he supplies materials except grout & tile) & moving & replacing a toilet; and remove and install a vanity for a total cost of $850. However, he doesn't use epoxy grout.
So I hired another person who did the 50 sq. ft. bath. with light-colored epoxy grout.
But I wasn't happy with several things concerning the vanity install, so I decided to use the original installer for the 25 sq. ft. bath. He came over & mailed me his estimate -$600. I was shocked since originally he was only charging me $850 for both baths, and the other bath was twice as big!! Is this $600 unreasonable? He has a super good reputation, one of them my best friend and he did an amazing job.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would like opinions on estimate

When two jobs can be combined, you get a discount. Small jobs are always more expensive individually. Bathrooms are tough, especially small ones. They require two days, no matter what, and you hope you can slot another customer into the afternoon of the first day while the thinset is curing. $600 is basically a half day's labor from my best tile guy, and that's for a simple pattern with not a lot of cutting or fussing.

o
RE: Would like opinions on estimate

I don't think that's unreasonable. My DH is tiling a small bathroom, about 50 sq ft as well, and he just gave them that same price. And he is one of the more reasonably priced guys in our area. That's why he's always busy, I guess!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here