Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gildedcage

master bath layout help request

gildedcage
11 years ago

Project put on hold due to medical emergency. Thanks anyway.

This post was edited by gildedcage on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:41

Comments (8)

• hemera
    11 years ago

Hmmm. I really don't understand your drawing. How do you get to the bathroom? I don't see a door. And where's the toilet? The only toilet I see looks like it's part of the laundry room, which is only accessible through the study. And there's no sink for that toilet.

• gildedcage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Project put on hold. Thanks anyway.

This post was edited by gildedcage on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:43

• gildedcage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Project put on hold. Thanks anyway.

This post was edited by gildedcage on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:43

• back2nd
    11 years ago

I have a few questions...
    1. what's the area in the sitting room between the doorway and the closet?
    2. so in order to get from the mstr bed, to the toilet, you have to walk through the bedroom through the sitting room, down the hallway, in through the double doors, and then through the bathroom and laundry to the toilet?
    3. is a closet in the study needed/wanted?
    4. would you want to keep the washer and dryer in their current locations?
    5. will you keep all current windows?

This is one huge bathroom!

This post was edited by back2nd on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 16:17

• gildedcage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Project put on hold due to medical emergency. Thanks anyway.

This post was edited by gildedcage on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:44

• williamsem
    11 years ago

This is my attempt at leaving as much in place as I could. One thing that really stands out is your desire to age in place and the large distance from the bedroom to the bath entrance. With a cane, walker, wheelchair, etc that becomes very inconvenient. Not to mention midnight trips due to incontinence or other health issue. I'd make that closest closet a fully ADA compliant bath with wheelchair accessible shower and plenty of reinforced grab bars (see recent threads on attractive grab bar options). You could make it one big wet room, or there may be room for a separate shower area. You'd have to check with someone that has knowledge of that stuff. I believe you need a 5 foot radius for a wheelchair in the room, so the shower may need to be open, not sure.

{{gwi:1409040}}

You may also want to consider moving the main entrance to the bump out in the sitting room and make one very long vanity that turns the corner and goes along the current door wall. You can make part of it wheelchair height.

You may want to think about what you might do with the sitting room to make things easier if you have mobility issues later. If you had to, how would you accommodate important functions from the study and clothing from the closet in that space? Is there anything you could do at this point that would facilitate that transition if needed down the road? Things like move a door, improve lighting, pick wheel-friendly flooring, etc can be done now in preparation yet not necessarily affect the room's current function.

• gildedcage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Williamsem. The project has been put on hold indefinitely.

This post was edited by gildedcage on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:45

• williamsem
    11 years ago

If you plan on staying for a decent amount of time, resale should be low on your list. For someone in need of such accomodations, you may be the answer they are looking for! Not many universal access options on the housing market, let alone fully accessible bathrooms. And many cannot afford to retrofit after many years of medical costs.

I'd talk to a realtor about it before deciding. You would actually be increasing the bathroom count (add 3/4 bath), so might not be a big deal.

Maybe one of the experts that post here will happen by and comment. I have no expertise in this stuff, though I have learned a lot here and have a lot of geriatric experience.