Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamywhite

Hudson Reed Faucets - Good or Bad ?

dreamywhite
15 years ago

After admiring a recent finished bathroom photo on here by Sweeby (beautiful!) I came across a new product in my vocabulary "Hudson Reed" and after looking at their website I fell in love with their classic faucets. The price is very good but my husband is extremely picky about good faucets and leaking. So in everyone's opinion are these faucets worth the money? I am comparing them to standard Kohler, Moen and American Standard that don't leak. I LUV the look very much and must convince my husband that they won't leak. So please tell me your experience with them.

Comments (55)

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Hi Sherri - The 'too good to be true' bit is exactly what my concern would be. Maybe read recent online reviews to see if their customer service feedback is still fabulous?

The handshower is amazing! Not just good, but amazing! The best I've ever experienced. I use the rain shower head for most of my shower, but switch to the handheld for rinsing shampoo out of my hair. It's a strong, powerful spray and the fixture itself also feels solid and heavy. Now we do have a good dedicated water supply, and I generally shower at odd hours, so that may be a factor. But the handheld itself is really nice. (I hate those little flimsy ones!)

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I went ahead and purchased the tub filler and 2 matching faucets today, was nice to have the free shipping and I found a 5% off coupon online. So we'll wait and see - I hope it was worth the money - oh and the valve did come with the tub filler as their email to me stated today.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

I would have ordered from them had I found them sooner. I had already placed my faucet order (when I found them) and spent a small fortune. I love Hudson Reed and would have saved a bundle. I have heard only good things about them.

• dreamywhite
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally received the faucets - husband HATED them and said he will not install them no matter what. Something about compression fittings and total problems down the road. Said they were the construction of faucets when our grandparents were small. So at least they are letting me return them to NY at my shipping cost for a full refund. So dissapointed they are really nice looking in real life. But I think I'm going with Kohler bancroft now - I better stick to name brands :)

• jpmvan
    14 years ago

I took a chance and ordered an exposed Hudson Reed thermostatic shower valve, similar to Sweeby's. It is the 3/4" version which has a slightly different look that is very similar to the Restoration Hardware version.

I have not installed it yet or taken it apart to see how it works, but I'm very impressed with the appearances. The valve is very heavy, solid brass and the chrome plating on all the parts is perfect. The other elbow fittings and couplings and shower rose are all also quite solidly made of brass/metal with a nice chrome finish. I'm impressed by the little details, like the lever handle on the valve and the hand grip on the shower handset are porcelain instead of plastic. The only exposed piece of plastic is a non-essential wall mounted hose organizer for the hand shower that I don't plan on using. The HR valve has an adjustable mount for the hand shower that installs on the exposed pipes, whereas the Restoration Hardware valve has a wall mount bracket.

The Restoration Hardware installation instructions are an excellent reference even for the Hudson Reed - I'm guessing this style of shower valve was invented ages ago and the basics haven't changed much. The Hudson Reed instructions are confusing on so many levels, and the RH instructions make it all instantly clear.

Other differences: the HR faucet has backflow/check valves and filters on the hot/cold supply going into the valve. There is no check valve/anti-siphon on the shower rose or hand shower. The Restoration Hardware has filters on the supply lines, and then check valves on the shower/hand shower.

Price was excellent, about 1/10th of Restoration Hardware.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

So glad to hear that Jpmvan!

Mine's still working perfectly -- so no complaints about Hudson Reed from me.

On the installation of the shower fittings, the one key piece of information to remember is that the HR fittings use English/Metric sizes, which aren't the same as North American. Essentially, the 'inside the wall parts' will be North American sizes, but the fixture itself will be metric. When they sell to North American customers, HR sends 'transition pieces' where the US parts meet the metric -- so if you can keep in your head which sizing system each part is in - then it's easier.

• arielitas_mom
    14 years ago

I'm glad to hear others have had luck with their H-R products...mine were a disaster!! My kitchen faucet leaked and I had to replace it. I don't remember what the problem was with the lav faucet in my master, but I had to return that one as well (I think it was missing a piece). Unfortunately, I didn't follow my gut and installed the tub filler/spray combo. I shudder to think how it's working on the inside, but after initially working decently, nowadays, everytime I turn on the tub filler, water leaks out of the spray arm. Cheap pieces of junk (albethey nice looking cheap pieces of junk!) IMHO.

• tcjohnsson
    14 years ago

Bumping this back up in case someone else had something to say. Looks like it's a mixed bag of results.

I was wondering, since the valves need adapters to work, won't this be cause for concern over time (like potential leaks)?

I read the reviews on epinions and they are mostly horrific. I love their thermostatic offering though - absolutely gorgeous for about $300.

• ashleysf
    14 years ago

I have one lav faucet from them for about an year. Plan to buy more for the current remodel. No complaints. Actually, I had a moen from HD before that faucet and it leaked in 3 months. This one replaced it and so far, so good.

• jpmvan
    13 years ago

I never got around to following up after my install, so here it is:

The exposed 3/4" shower valve installed without a hitch with compression fittings that match US 3/4" copper pipe. Works well too, and looks amazing installed.

The installation instructions were more confusing than useful, although the diagrams did help. If you've done any plumbing at all, you'll be ok just using some common sense and the diagram, it also helps to fit it all together before installing. My kit came with a bunch of adapters and fittings I didn't need, which added to the puzzle.

Since it's an exposed valve and the spacing seems to be standard for these, I'm not too worried about repair/replacement. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it can be taken apart easily if needed.

• cminkley_stny_rr_com
    13 years ago

BAD, JUNK, WASTED MONEY. My vessel sink faucet tried two different ones and both started leaking a lot in less than one year, replaced with American Standard. Whirlpool tub filler valves leaked in between walls down to first floor dining room and guest bath... staining ceiling of our new house... had to open wall to find source of leak. I was in the shower when I got scalded due to the failure of their lifetime guaranteed thermostatic valve... installed less than 2 years. They have promised a complete refund of the over $1000 I spent, but I have been waiting for over a year.
    I had body jets with holes drilled in tile. Try to find another system to match up... going to a panel to cover up as much as possible. They look nice, they feel substantial, purchase price is inexpensive-- but underneath the chrome, they are junk and cheap -- period, it does not matter where they are manufactured. They had to pay fines to US EPA for flow control violations... stay away, it is only a matter of time. I've got documentation to prove every word.

• jay_schieber_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I posted something longer on epinions. I love the shower I have had for over a year. Solid brass, great design, great flow. There was a problem with how it was assembled in the factory, but they were very gracious to send me the replacement cartridges for free a year after I bought it. Works great now. I would recommend them.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Just a quick update -- All three of my Hudson Reed faucets are still working flawlessly.

• raehelen
    11 years ago

I also am updating. It's been almost 4 years, and after very heavy use, shower works great! Pressure from hand-held is awesome. All pieces looked substantial and well-made and DH had no problems installing everything himself. I definitely recommend HR to anyone, and will use them again in my next two BR renos.

• NorthwoodsFox
    10 years ago

I have the exposed thermostatic shower as well. I was wary about buying something from overseas at first, but I've since bought more bathroom faucets and bathroom hardware from Hudson Reed. Everything that I've come across is solid brass construction with chrome plating, and they ship with stainless steel mounting screws, so there isn't anything that will rust.

They use ceramic disc valves, which last much longer than gate valves. You're not going to find a lot of Hudson Reed products around here, but they are the equivalent of Kohler or American Standard in the UK. They have a 20 year warranty over there, and I think it's 10 years for US residents. Near as I can figure, that has more to do with our higher water pressures being harder on components. Nevertheless, that's a longer warranty than I'll get with Kohler (which is what I've used for pretty much everything else in my house).

I like to tinker, so some of the minor issues that came with mine were easily fixed, although most others would have returned them. My mixer on the shower had a slow drip. I followed the UK instructions (unlike the US website, theirs shows a full exploded diagram) and took the cover plate off, tightened the main assembly with a channel lock, and the leak was fixed. What can I say - it's British. I like it.

Those compression fittings freaked me out a little, since I've only ever used solder or threaded joints, and I had nightmares of them bursting loose. They have been perfect. I am confident that my hardware will outlast me. Compression fittings are foreign to most home owners in the US, but it's pretty commonplace elsewhere. It's natural to avoid them if you're not comfortable with them, but it doesn't make them junk. Just different. Kind of like diesel cars. If you're a DIYer, this might not be the right decision for you. If you're going to have them installed, check with your plumber. If you get a funny look, move on. They'll find every excuse to not install it or install it improperly.

So to reiterate, I respectfully disagree with the assessments that Hudson Reed products are junk. I believe that they're well built, although they might not always be properly assembled (I appreciate the irony of the statement, but what I'm saying is that once everything is assembled correctly, they are awesome).

Just my two cents.

This post was edited by NorthwoodsFox on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 21:21

• hsheffield
    10 years ago

have the exposed shower head as pictured above. has been a disaster from the start. replaced twice. falling apart-it's been gerry-rigged so that it will work, but have finally decided to replace it. I really wanted to like it but lack of function trumps looks

• LeeHa
    9 years ago

My first post is the need to comment on the lack of customer service with this company. We have had the rainshower fixture with handheld for a few years now. One year in we had to replace the hose for the handheld as it began unraveling (around 30$) now it is unraveling again. I have emailed the company with photos and this is the reply I received.

Hello
    Thank you for your email, I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the product, This will only happen if the Hose is pulled to(sic) much, maybe your handset is located to(sic) far so the hose is being stretched as this is most unusual.
    Please follow the link below to order the hose.
    http://usa.hudsonreed.com/chrome-plated-brass-shower-hose-69-inch-20.html
    Kind Regards
    Mariyum
    The Hudson Reed Team

My hose has more than a sufficient amount of slack. It is actually a rubber hose that is enveloped in a metal ribbon. The ribbon has become brittle and dislodged from the handset.

• sweeby
    9 years ago

Just checking in again years later with another update -- All three of my Hudson Reed faucets are still working flawlessly and still look great.

• kkindopp
    9 years ago

BAD

I bought an expensive valve from Hudson Reed because I thought it was a higher quality product... WRONG. After 4 months of work and 25,000.00 building a spa bathroom with 2 shower heads I finally got to test out the showers. One is significantly cooler than the other. I called tech support to find out what I have to do to get them to be the same temp and the guy said to me, "oh no you can't run them at the same time" WHAT???? "If you do then one will be much cooler than the other" I AM FURIOUS, Why would I ever buy a dual shower valve and only run one device. Obv they know this valve will not supply consistent temps to both devices but on the product desc it says "if you run the both you may experience a loss in pressure" it does not say... you will have one hot shower head and one luke warm shower head. If it did, obv I would NOT have bought it. When I asked to speak to someone of authority I was told that nobody was available to speak to me. So hear I am with a beautiful bathroom with a huge walk in tiled shower and this piece of crap valve in my walls that does not work. I COULD NOT BE ANYMORE DISSATISFIED WITH THE PRODUCT OR THE COMPANY.

• HudsonReedDan
    9 years ago

Hello Kkindop,

I work for HudsonReed and would like to help resolve your problem. It would appear the information our customer service rep gave you over the phone was wrong and I apologize for this.

Please email me dan.gillen@hudsonreed.com and I will personally help you resolve your problem. I'm confident we can get your shower hot and working.

I hope the forum moderators don't mind me registering here in order to reach out.

Best Regards,
    Dan Gillen
    Hudson Reed

• pohoda
    9 years ago

Hello HudsonReedDan,

I have a slight question and I hope you don't mind me asking you this on here? I live in the Czech Republic, though regularly go to England on a monthly basis. I would like to buy a traditional thermostatic shower for our home in the Cz.Rep, but I am scared that something might go wrong and I will have a whale of a time trying to get it fixed. All the companies in England, that supply Hudson Reed items, are online which means I can't get a chance to have a look at the products first... Would you have anything that could possibly encourage me to buy from you? (forgive my bluntness!). I am quite picky when it comes to quality because we have regularly replaced our showers here... not my fault! :)

Also, why are people talking about a cartridge?! I hope that doesn't apply to the showers?! With regards, J.G.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

kkindopp, did you get your valve issue resolved?

• enduring
    9 years ago

Pohoda, have you thought of using
    Hansgrohe products? Since they are made in Germany and have a good track record I thought maybe I would suggest that line for you. I live in the US and have this brand for all my faucets and showers. I have been happy.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    9 years ago

I have a nice selection of Hudson Reed fixtures in my home. I have been doing extensive testing on the product and really like the way they are made and designed. I have followed Dan around and found him to be ever so helpful with people needing a little more guidance.

I put a good blog post together to help people install Hudson Reed's Body Jets. You can view that here: Installation Guide for Hudson Reed Body Jets

• pohoda
    9 years ago

Enduring, we have some Hansgrohe products. But they are far too german in the style aspect. I want a classic traditional bathroom, and Hudson Reed has a good selection of classically inspired items... especially the thermostatic shower! :) am looking at British companies now. fingers crossed there are some good prices..

• jenjin
    9 years ago

We have the exposed thermostat shower with the classic shower head and handheld combo. Everything has been fine so far, except for the shower head. We have blown out 2 bottom plates at this point and I have concerns about installing this again. When this plate lets loose, it definitely has some force. Fortunately, it has missed my head but the next time, I might not be so lucky.

• PRO
    StarCraft Custom Builders
    9 years ago

Hudson Reed is an international e-tailer that sells faucets,
    showers, tub fillers and bath accessories through web sites targeted to various
    countries. There is, for example, a U.S. site, a Canadian site and one
    for the U.K.

The company sells Fresca faucets, a brand made in China by
    Kaiping Yadanli Sanitary Ware Industry Co., Ltd.

We are researching but have not yet published a review or
    rating of Fresca faucets.

We do know:

• The faucets are certified as complying with the joint
      Canadian/U.S. safety and reliability standards of ASME A-112.18.1/CSA
      B-125.1 and the joint lead-free requirements of ANSI/NSF 61/9.
      Certification to these standards is required by all model plumbing codes
      used in North America. Fresca faucets may be legally installed in all
      states, except Massachusetts where a separate state approval is
      required. This approval has not be issued.
    • The faucets comply with the U.S. Safe Drinking Water
      Act, and may therefore be "introduced into commerce" in the U.S.
    • They comply with the separate state lead free
      standards, and may be sold and installed in California, Maryland,
      Louisiana and Vermont.
    • The 10 year warranty offered on the faucets is below
      the U.S./Canadian standard for faucet warranties, which is "lifetime".
      The Hudson Reed written warranty does not come close to meeting either the
      formal or content requirements of the U.S. Magnuson–Moss Warranty
      Act. Stainless steel finishes are guaranteed for 5 years. All
      other finishes 10 years unless otherwise stated in the product
      description.

For ratings and reviews of over seventy faucet
    companies, see StarCraft
    Faucet Ratings and Reviews

• David Colton
    8 years ago

My client ordered one of your shower systems .

I was called to met with them, the shower controls are not working

The shower unit is less than a year old.

it seems that the control valve for hand held and rain head will not seperate

from spraying all at one time.

• jsergison
    8 years ago

Hudson Reed provides THE WORST customer service that we have experienced with any company that provides a product or service EVER. We are doing a complete renovation of our bathroom and order a Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system prior to starting the renovation so we would have it when it can time for our plumber to install. After 4 weeks of demolition and construction, it came time to install our $600 Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system and the plumber realized that the main handle that turns the water on and off was not included!

Ok. Mistakes happen. There are a lot of pieces and parts to these things. We've had similar situations occur where a part is broken or missing, you call customer service, they say "so sorry, we'll send you the missing part or replacement," end of story. No, not Hudson Reed.

We called first thing in the morning over to England and the gentleman we first spoke to about our Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system missing part was so indifferent and rude that he basically said we were out of luck and our only option was to spend another $600 and buy another Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system. It was past the 14 day return policy and there was absolutely nothing he could do. He transferred us to a woman who also said that it was beyond the return policy, we should have inspected our Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system when it arrived to make sure all the parts were there. Who does this? It is THERE job to inspect their products before they ship them. The Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system contains a ton of pieces and parts and there is NO PART LIST included in their nightmare they call instructions as you can see from my photo. Where there are pictures they don't match the Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system we purchased. It also looks like someone printed the instructions off the internet and they are crooked on the page and still contain the printer crop marks and file name. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL for a Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system that costs so much.

After absolutely no attempt at taking responsibility for not including all the parts—really they most important part because now we can't turn ANY of the water on in our bathroom until we have this part to our Hudson Reed thermostatic shower system, their "customer service" rep did say we could purchase the missing part from them. So, now they've made more money off of us for their negligence. AWFUL company with AWFUL quality control and AFWUL customer service.

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

OOUCH. That story (above) is like the polar opposite of my experience with this company. Not ordering the trim for a rough in is a rookie mistake and one any plumber should know to check. This happens all the time with every company and every maker. This is why we dry fit our materials prior to installing anything. Any decent plumber does this.

Try reaching out to Dan Gillen at Hudson Reed. He has helped so many people that I'm aware of.

You can buy a Jeep and go for a drive in the woods and then get stuck. Is it the Jeep retail's shop's fault you did not buy a Winch? Later when you go back should they give it to you for free? In Vancouver I send my clients to many stores and recommend they check out Hudson Reed. I always tell them to order the rough ins and trims. We discuss layout, diverters and the like. These are well engineered materials that work as a team. it's not like going to Home Depot and buying a shower kit. Each state and country has different rules so you need to design a system.

Dan Gillen Hudson Reed

Dan.Gillen@Hudsonreed.com

• David Colton
    8 years ago

Don't buy hudon reed products by american at least you can get parts

for them. Have a client now waiting for reolacment parts, less than one

year old, and it is not even a full tiime home.

• W Williams
    8 years ago

NOOOOOOO! I've bought Hudson Reed fixtures for three different houses I've worked on; the first two were basically fine & I had no particular reason to think it would be different. Something has clearly happened to the company. I concur with other reviews that you will get a very unpleasant experience with Hudson Reed if you're in the U.S. The company is based in England (it has a distribution place in Pennsylvania, but you will have to call England for customer service during their day hours there. The fixtures it makes have British fittings & need certain conversion parts for U.S. pipes, etc.; the boxes are sent with scant instructions and no conversion kits. That's the first problem: trying to understand what you need and get the company to send it. The customer sales rep wouldn't speak directly with my plumber or contractor: the rep said he had to speak with the person who made the order. So unless you care to learn the details plumbing or be the middleman during a (long and complicated) call, you're out of luck. Among the plumber, the contractor and me, we made seven calls to the company and was told someone from the tech department would call me back, and not once did I receive a call back. I was told that the tech department is "out on service calls," but it is an Internet-only company. Sadly, the person who bought my last house had a leak with an HR shower fixture. Here's what she wrote back to me after I gave the model number & contact for HR: "It took about 10 calls to them to try to clarify what the problem was and order the part. I had a determined engineer/plumber who took things apart and realized that the advice we were being given was incorrect! Not sure if you have made your order with them, but I would think twice just because of the difficulty with finding people familiar with the brand here, diagnosis, and getting parts." I care a lot about what goes into my houses, and I'm very sorry that my buyer had this experience (and that I had an equally bad one too).

• PRO
    Piotr Sikora
    8 years ago

I have to concur with the last post. We have installed their fittings ( exposed shower ) in 4 bathrooms during a total renovation 2 years ago. They look great , but the Customer Support is the worst i have ever experienced! They know nothing and the "tech department" is some mystery being that passes along wrong information ( literally every time , problem with one valve and they respond with instructions for a completely diferent one . 3 of the valves have since developed problems , loss of either hot or cold water and no amount of manipulation would help it. Ended up replacing the whole valve ( because of compression fittings you can't change brand unless you cut it out of the wall and ruin the tile ) and even that was super frustrating as i would order one valve , they would send a different one and then argue with me that i was wrong. I would spend 3 weeks emailing pix ( here's my order number from confirmation and corresponding item number picture from your website , and here is a photo of what you had send ) . I don't think they even looked at the pix , just told me i'm wrong. Untill this company decides to stand behind its product and learns how to treat customers spending their money with them , i suggest you look elsewhere. here are the pix , completely different valves :(. @thatssopiotr

• blackmurphy
    8 years ago

I have begun the quest to find a solution to my Hudson Reed Shower valve problem (no hot water) . If the challenge of trying to contact them is an example, the future does not look good.

However the response from GROHE re my kitchen faucet was instant. Easy to find contact info, direct to an actual human, knew exactly what I needed, said it would be in the mail in the next day or two...a very positive experience

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Starcraft thank you so much for always being such a wealth of information. Your ratings are my bible while shopping for fixtures for my new build. :)

• Jmike
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Buyer beware. We bought this unit in July 2014 in advance of a bedroom/bathroom addition to our home. The shower unit was installed the following February 2015 at the end of the renovation. The mixer cylinder broke after only 10 months of normal use by my son. I protested to HR, who said it was out of warranty even though it had been installed and used only 10 months. They assured me the unit wasn't faulty, but rather my son hadn't used it properly and just broken it. I only became aware the cylinder is not even metal, but plastic, when I had to pay $104.00 for a replacement cylinder! Plastic in a $600.00 shower? Broke in 10 months, despite the description on their site about "quality to last a lifetime." The Hudson Reed didn't care and two of their service agents were quite rude in their emails. Terrible product, terrible service. Buy another brand!

Do not buy this, do not patronize this company.

• Vinita Bali
    7 years ago

TERRIBLE product and customer service. I bought a HudsonReed shower system for $430 and installed it in my brand new home. Within 2 years, the valve has caused a major leak, and about $4000 in damage. When my plumber removed the leaking valve, he discovered that the product sold to me as "new" had a patch in the brass valve (see picture; patch is the lighter brass color above the letter "V"). I consider this fraud. I'm still trying to deal with this company to resolve the major damage and mess they have caused.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Our updated review of Hudson Reed faucets is posted and available. Go to http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets.Hudson.Reed.htm.

Our thanks to the Garden Webbers (Houzzers?) who provided information for the review.

If you have any comment about Hudson Reed sink faucets (not showers, accessories, etc.), please either contact us at info@starcraftcustombuilders.com, or post a comment at the bottom of the review.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Starcraft, thank you so much for continuing to keep us informed. It was your excellent reviews that helped me choose my plumbing fixtures.

• Vinita Bali
    6 years ago

From my experience, beautiful as the products look, they are not worth the risk. My fixture, sold as "new" was in fact a refurbished patched product. The patch blew one year after installation, flooding my home and causing major damage. It took MONTHS to resolve the issue -- which speaks to their customer service. Despite that they tested the product, and agreed about the manufacturing defect (in fact, sending me a video of water leaking from the busted patch) -- yet they denied liability. Again, took months to resolve -- I had the stamina to pursue this because I was so upset by their attitude. Their poor quality control and poor customer service leads me to say -- find a better line of products. They don't deal with reliable manufacturers, apparently, and then abandon you when their product fails.

• PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@ Vinita Bali

Actually, Vinita, the defective casting was probably new, just not very well cast.

Casting, whether sand or mold casting, is not always a precise process. The flow of the molten brass may not be even, resulting in voids in the finished product that engineers call "holidays" (Why "holidays", I don't know. We call them "holes".).

If the holes are big enough, the casting is scrapped and melted down to make a new casting. But, some companies patch small holes with a solder or braising material. Not the best solution, but it works most of the time. Not in your case, however. Looks like the solder patch was a "cold patch" that did not adhere well to the underlying brass.

My point is that if Hudson Reed (actually Limitless Digital Group, Ltd.) says it was a new casting, it most likely was.

When the company admitted the defect, but denied your claim, did they deny their obligation to

1. Replace the defective part, or

2. Repair the damage to your kitchen resulting from released water, or

3. Both?

If they denied just 2, it's because of a clause in their warranty in which they disclaim all liability for damage to anything other than the product itself, or what lawyers call "consequential damage".

This disclaimer is very common, and almost never works in court due to some basic procedural defects in how the warranty is delivered endemic to internet sales. But, companies use it to bluff you into thinking they do not have to pay for consequential damages, and most consumers are fooled by the bluff.

Kudos to you for pushing on and making them pay in the end. Most people would have given up.

I wish you would tell your story to our readers by adding a comment to the bottom of our review at http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sources.faucets.Hudson.Reed.htm. I'm certain they would appreciate it.

Thanks for the insight.

For other readers wondering how to prevail on a warranty when companies deny perfectly legitimate warranty claims, read How to Win the Warranty Game.

• billybobbaluga
    4 years ago

I bought a new hot water radiator this summer. They supply the valves with the unit and together they look stunning. That is until you want to put them together. The pipe thread in the radiator is tapped far too deep so the valve bottoms when hits the end of the thread thus sealing is impossible. The technician recommends wrapping the valve with 14-16 rounds with pipe tape to make up for this flaw. It’s a plumbing company why don’t they understand how pipe threads work?

• wannaknow2
    4 years ago

Consider posting on a brand new thread with a new title/subject matter. You will get an answer relevant to your inquiry. Your question is regarding the valves and threads on a hot water radiator.

The thread where you posted deals with Hudson Reed Faucets began in 2009 and the last entry before yours was in Sept. 2017.

Best with resolving your questions.

• HU-393838245
    4 years ago

Wouldn't give a one star to this Company or it's Products. They are an English Company everything takes at least 8 working days for delivery not so bad unless you need service. Customer Service is at best none existent. We ordered simple shower valve and head, albeit for looks (it does look Kool). Plumber put in and it LEAKED!!! customer service sent the part they thought would work rather than authorize return, rather then listen to Plumber who said it was not just a cartridge. We purchased a Grohe to replace it rescheduled Plumber ( you got to know that ain't easy).. 2 weeks later 5 days after Customer Service promised delivery of part, it came and we tried new Cartridge and low and behold it still leaked. R and R took 2 hours of Plumbers time THANK YOU HUDSON REED.

Hudson Reed did promise to send more parts if new cartridge didn't correct leak. Thanks again HUDSON REED!!! BULLSHIT don't sound no better with an English Accent.

DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Products may have designer good looks but they are 2 rate at best and Customer Service is NONE EXISTANT!!! We ate the $200+ product costs and it sit in our shed; we won't even give it away!!! TOTAL CRAP. Buy American at least sourced here. England better stay in the EU we don't want their Crap Products.

• mark chapman
    4 years ago

Hello AllHudson Reed Mixer taps

Hello All, i have just asked Hudson Reed why my heavy chrome tapheads have started to bobble/pitting after only 2 years, The tap housing /body is fine. I use mentholated spirit to clean the taps, probably once every 2 months, They said this will impair the chrome and it is not warranted.
    We are so dissapointed after spending £160 plus on this inferior product.
    We are disappointed in the quality, a heavy tap with a poor chrome finish,
    I will not be purchasing their products again despite being American.
    Perhaps they should use the same chroming technics used by Harley Davidson....
    In all very disappointed in the product and the technical support services who have kicked us into touch..
    Bye Bye Hudson Reed......We recommend you find a better product because buying expensive insures nothing with this product.
    Happy Days and best of luck with your mixer tap hunting...= )

• Daniel freedman
    2 years ago

Wish I could say great things but the only thing I can say positive is that if you are willing to fight through their customer service group the will stand behind things.

We have had H-R showers and taps in our house for 14 years, the only problems we have had were with the shower heads (Sunflower 12"). The first set had hard plastic nibs which failed as they collected scale. After a fight to get them fixed, I just bought 2 new ones from them in 2016, these has rubber nibs that were cleanable and those head held up for almost 5 years until on of them split apart due to the factories use of Iron bolt to hold them together which rusted through, just missing my head.

I turned the unit over to my Q/A group (I work for a big US defense company), it took them 5 min to isolate the problem (cheap bolt with no rust protection directly in the water flow).

H-R tells me they have never seen the problem before and tried to claims it was a water issue, I live Wash DC on city water so if it was water things would be melting all over the place.

After a bit of an attempt to get rid of me, they agreed to replace them (when they get here I will let my engineers upgrade the bolt to stainless steel).

A light search brought me here where I see the same event post by others.

• PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hudson Reed has recently quit the bath wares business in North America and recast itself as a seller of radiant heaters. Its announcement stated that it would continue to honor warranties on the products it sold in past years.

• Daniel freedman
    2 years ago

I saw that also, but they are still big in UK (or at least their adds say so). In replacing my heads they had a very limited sock of heads available so maybe they are fazing out.

We do have both a tub filler and facets and they have held up well. The cartage for the facets require cleaning and are available for replacement reasonably.

• mark chapman
    2 years ago

look elsewhere,,,